“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #232 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Hranice, Czech Republic
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

The hotel Schwalbe is a small hotel but very cosy and it has a homely atmosphere. It is situated in a quiet part of Vienna and all the sights of the city are easily accesible by metro, the station is just a few minutes walking from the hotel. Our room was spacious and clean and we couldn't hear any other guests. Also the breakfast was nice, everything was tasty and fresh. And the staff is very friendly and helpful. I'd highly recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank evcased

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
taunton
Reviewed April 14, 2012

The hotel Schwalbe is a close to our hearts as it was here that my husband and I stayed 15 years ago, when he proposed to me! Revisiting 15 years later we were delighted to find the hotel still being run by the Tomek family and still as charming and characterful as ever. We were warmly welcomed back by Patricia, who looked after us superbly, and booked us into the restaurant (Fromme Helene) where my husband popped the question all those years ago. Her recommendations for other cafes and restaurants were spot on too. The hotel has been refreshed since our last vist, but sensitively so that the individual character of this old family hotel remains intact, along with the quirky collections of vintage bygones. Don't miss out on the Schwalbe breakfasts - great coffee, lovely fresh bread with artisan jams, and typical Austrian savoury touches of ham and cheese.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Abigail B
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Reviewed October 17, 2011

It's a small and sweet hotel and with a beautiful story. Family Tomek runs this hotel for 40 years!(I enjoyed listening to their history) In the beginning of my 5-day stay, I lived in a single room (65 Euro), but the heater of hot-water didn't work, then the following days, they change a big (double/triple) room for me (with the original price). The room is nice, clean and quiet (since it's not in the city center) The breakfast is great, and since I had a longer stay, finally they know my eating habit, they served me coffee and fresh apple when I entered the dining room. And they even provide a list on the dining table to explain where the food comes from, which shows their carefulness and seriousness. Though It's not in in the center, but it's very convenient to go into center and many places with U-Bunh & S-Bunh. They even prepare a small gift for guest: a set of postcard which tells Schwalbe Hotel history and a small jar of jam. When I stayed there, I really felt like home. I will stay again if I have the chance to visit Vienna again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 7, 2010

A conference host in Vienna found us this hotel when we stressed that we needed something reasonable. We moved from a slick, modern hotel to the Hotel Schwalbe for a two-night stay. It is about an eight-minute walk from the Ottakring metro station, in a primarily residential neighborhood. It is an authentic old Viennese hotel, with all the amenities of the modern one, and more. It is immaculate, the beds are perfectly firm, the room was spacious, TV and internet worked beautifully. We had chosen a room with WC across the hall, but rooms with ensuite WC are available for more. The architecture, quirky artistic touches, friendliness of the staff were all noteworthy. Best of all, the breakfast, with wonderful fresh berries and other fruits, yogurt, breads, homemade jams, meats, cheeses, were a healthy start for a day of tourism or travel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank AlfieK
UK
Reviewed September 21, 2010

A short walk from the end of the metro line in a quiet residential area. The hotel is easy to find and close to a few local bars and restaurants. Nice bedroom and batyroom,comfortable and spotlessly clean. Free wi-fi. Good breakfast choice with an offer of cooked eggs. A quirky but clean breakfast room. A good find!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Womble46
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed August 31, 2010

The room I stayed in this hotel is huge, nice and clean. Breakfast was very good. The hotel is not really close to the main touristic spots, but you can reach them by metro easily after a few minutes.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank romeuvictor
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2010

This small privately run hotel has been in the same family for 100 years. It is very clean, nice rooms, free wifi. When I checked in Patricia (one of the owners) was out but a very pleasant only German speaking lady checked me in and showed me my room, we managed even with a language barrier. Rooms have mini bar and mine had a lot of wardrobe and drawer space. The delightful Patricia welcomed me later. Breakfast was excellent (even offered cooked eggs so had mine scrambled) in characterful breakfast room.
Definitely a recommend place to stay if you don’t want to be in the centre of Vienna, it’s only 15/20 minutes to Stephansplatz on U3. Oh and it has a lift (elevator).

I ate nearby at the Gelbmann's Gaststube‎ on Wilhelminenstraße 62 - very good.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business