“Economical and you get what you pay for”

Hotel-Pension Bleckmann
Ranked #39 of 113 Vienna B&B and Inns
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Economical and you get what you pay for”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The rooms are small and have limited TV channels and no aircon: beware in the summer! Rooms on the front are noisy. The staff are charming and very helpful and the breakfast buffet is excellent. It is very conveniently located next to a tramp stop and only five minutes from the Schottentor underground. A good base in a quiet neighbouhood.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank David C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Convenient location. Good sized (for the price) room in interesting old building. Friendly reception and more than adequate breakfast. Warning - lots if stairs which add to the C19th atmosphere but make luggage carrying hard work. Recommend as good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

The only thing good about this hotel is that they have a great and very humble and courteous staff otherwise there is nothing else which is positive about this hotel.
I stayed here in june and to my surprise there was no airconditioner in the hotel and the temperature during my stay was around 38 degrees in Vienna. The smell in the hotel doesnt give a positive feeling and i would highly not reccommend this hotel to anyone....for the same price there are other hotels which are ad well available in Vienna.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank DipeshVerma

Travelers are raving about these Vienna hotels

Bucuresti
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The hotel is close to city center and to subway station Schottentor (purple line). At 10 minutes walk there is Rathaus and a great park is in the close neibourghood. There are many restaurants in the area, but you better choose carefully because there are central prices as well.

We had a family room - 4 adults + 2 kids - quite intimate I would say since 2 double beds were placed there with the space between them just allowing a person to go through. But the room was comfortable and clean, no complains. Also I must mention that rooms have phonically isolation - there was permanent working at the tram line in from of our window every night but we slept like babies without any noise disturbing.
The breakfast was incredible: lots of choices, fresh fruits (apples), many types of bread, cheese etc. They even had boiled eggs instead of traditional hotel powder omelets.
The only thing disturbing is that reception is open only until 21:00, so you have to carry 2 keys with you (for room and for the building).
Overall the hotel is OK for touristic stay, if you spend your day out in the city and need a confortable place to sleep well and have a good morning start.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I came to this hotel having been booked through the University of Vienna. The Bleckmann is used often by nearby departments for their visitors and I can see why. The rooms are adequate and the breakfast is good too. Perhaps it is, as one reviewer said, a pension more than a hotel, but the line between the two must be very fine indeed. The main feature of this hotel is its location and as it is near one of Vienna's principal public transport hubs - at least for where I wanted to go - it cannot be faulted. Nearby will cost you much more. Next door is an excellent restaurant which, again, is value for money. Don't expect too much and you will not be disappointed. Oh, and I did not have the perfect stay: the room they sent me to was under construction still! But, they gave me another one without fuss where the renovations had been completed. Perhaps a bit amateurish, but I got my room. The staff were not "professional" and I like that. That is, they genuinely were interested and friendly, trying their best to answer my unusual questions.

Room Tip: As it has happened to others I know, just ask the desk clerk when you check in if the renovations ha...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

This is a budget hotel. It is in a good location and you can walk to a lot of tourist attractions and trains/trams. The rooms are quite old - don't expect room safes or fridges or air conditioning but the rooms are clean. The staff and friendly and helpful. I must compliment the lady who run the breakfast - she keeps the food fresh and offers both my wife and I a fresh pot of tea and coffee when we sit down - great service! The hotel is also very quiet. The only complaint I have is that we specifically requested a non-smoking and when we arrived it was clean this was a smoking room, it really stunk and I thought that someone had smoked like 10 packets in that room that morning. We were told we couldn't change room and it has caused our clothes and belonging to now stink of smoke. Not good for a non-smoker and asthmatic. Wifi is good however there is only one password per room so you can only use one device at a time.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

FALSE ADVERTISING & UNPROFESSIONAL. DO NOT BOOK! The HOTEL "Austria Classic Hotel Bleckman" is actually "Hotel & Pension Bleckman”. My pensioner mother and I booked a triple room for 5 nights. As per our booking, we were assigned a room with a double bed and separate sofa/single bed within the “hotel”.

On our 5th night the hotel manager ILLEGALLY PACKED OUR BAGS (THROWING ANYTHING NOT IN OUR SUITCASES INTO A PLASTIC RUBBISH BAG) and deposited them in an INFERIOR “pension” room due to an "error in their booking system". NO CONSULTATION OR WARNING! We were INSTRUCTED by a voicemail on my UK mobile phone to collect the keys before reception closed. The room was like a YOUTH HOSTEL DORMITORY with three single beds. When we complained, the Manager was EXTREMELY RUDE. Instead of upholding our room assignment, she suggested we “sue her”. Our money taken, there was no intention to offer compensation. HAD WE NOT THREATENED TO CALL THE POLICE WE WOULD HAVE BEEN TOTALLY IGNORED.

We checked our original room to ensure all our possessions had been collected. The room was made up as a DOUBLE, not a TRIPLE, with the single bed remade into a sofa with decorative cushions. It was obvious that TWO SINGLE WOMEN WE WERE DOWNGRADED TO PRIORITISE A COUPLE, DESPITE OUR CONTRACTUAL BOOKING RESERVATION. HIGHLY RECOMMEND BOOKING ELSEWHERE.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family