All reviewswalking distancelocation is greatstaff at receptionno air conditioningwould definitely stay here againgood sizebreakfast roommuseumsquartiercornflakesquarter
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Terminus for 6 nights for a conference I was attending. The hotel is well located near the Museums Quartier area. The staff on reception were uniformly friendly and spoke excellent English. Breakfast in the morning was good with a selection of tea, coffee, juices, cereals, bread, cheese, ham, jam and yoghurt. The rooms in the hotel, however, are quite shabby and the floor in my room was filthy, all the dust had simply been brushed into the corners. The shower curtain and tray were very mouldy and the bathroom was unclean. The wifi signal in the hotel is terrible, the only place I could connect was in the reception. This place could be a great hotel but at the moment it needs a refurbishment.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank d41k57
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Taking CAT (City Airport Train) or S-bahn from Vienna Airport you’ll arrive at Wien Mitte-Landstrasse. From there you take U4 to Kettenbrückengasse, turn to the right when leaving the train, up the stairs and left when coming out of the station. Continue in this direction crossing the busy traffic on Linke Wienzeile, taking a little sidestep to the left finding Stiegengasse, upwards and then right into Gumpendorfer Strasse. About 200 m away on the left hand side you find Fillgradergasse on the left and Hotel Terminus on the right in the alley.

The Hotel is perfectly situated with 400 m to underground station Museumsquartiqer (U2) and 500 m to Kettenbrückengasse (U4). It’s a bit further to Volkstheater (U3). Turn right when leaving the hotel, take the steps up to Theobaldgasse and you’ll be in thebusy shopping street Mariahilferstrasse in 3 minutes. Right across the street you’ll find a post office and a postbox (collecting time Mo-Fr 17:30).

My single room was well equipped, in good condition, clean, small but didn’t feel cramped. You’ll find a proper clothes-cupboard with a safe, a luggage rack, an armchair, a small writing desk with its own chair and a proper reading lamp by the bed. Outside the bed room window there was a blind, that kind you’re usually find in Mediterranean countries, worked by electricity, so you’d be able to keep the room pitch dark on the brightest summer’s day. The en-suite bath room is OK with a minus for the minimal shower. Do bring shower gel and shampoo if you need it as the hotel only supplies soap.

The free Wi-Fi worked wonderfully in my room. In a kind of assembly hall on the first floor you’ll find an internet connected computer at the guests’ disposal.

A drawback for people with walking difficulties is that the entrance with the reception is situated in between the ground and the first floor and therefore not serviced by the lift. Coming down the lift for breakfast you need to negotiate a few steps to enter the breakfast room, which has windows to the street.

It is a pity that the breakfast didn’t come up to the good standard of the accommodation. The breakfast consisted of butter, two kind of dark bread, breakfast bun, three kind of cooked pork? in slices, cheese, two types of jam/marmalade, tea, coffee, orange juice, hot and cold milk, yoghurt and quark, muesli and cornflakes. It might seem quite enough to you but it doesn’t give any variety throughout your stay and I personally missed a few slices of tomatoes or cucumber and some fresh fruit, be it just an apple.

The staff was really service minded, kind and greeting you with a smile.

If or when I’m coming back to Vienna I will probably consider Hotel Terminus as my place to stay mainly because of the quiet and central location with good communication close to three underground stations on three different lines.

I recommend the hotel for people on a budget who want to stay close to museums. People, who want to avoid walking the stairs, will be better to find another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank __Joh__Ye
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My company put me up in this hotel twice, and I can only hope they got a discount.

On the plus sides, this hotel is well located - just two corners from the Nachsmarkt, and one corner from the shopping drag that is Mariahilferstrasse. This means you are about 20mins walk from Westbahnhof station, and about 15-20 mins from Stephansdom, both of which are also 2 stops on the metro.

The rooms were clean on arrival, and fairly well equipped. The staff were fairly friendly, and breakfast was adequate.

On the other hand:
Wi-fi is available in parts of the hotel, but not all of it. The upper floors and the rooms furthest to the left and right do not receive it. Be aware if you are expecting to use it.

On both occasions I was there, I stayed for a week. During that time, while the bed was remade, no dusting or floor cleaning was done.

On one occasion I arrived back at the hotel to find that the maid had not been around (no problem), although she was working through other rooms on the floor. As I was leaving my room, she stopped me and asked what I needed (as we had no mutual language, this was gestured) - then handed me bedsheets and took her trolley to another floor. I made my own bed.

Rooms at the front of the building are extremely cramped - no problem if you're only there for a weekend I suppose, but another point to be aware of. This is especially true for the bathroom facilities in those rooms: I couldn't quite sit on the toilet as this sink was in the way, and I am not a large person.
Double rooms at the back of the building are quite spacious, however.

Rooms at the front of the building also take in a lot of noise/light from the street. Not easy for light sleepers. Rooms at the back are much quieter/darker.

In some rooms the toilet cistern trickles water constantly - not ideal for sleeping.

The beds all have a thin towel tucked between the mattress and sheet in the area where a sleeper's groin would be. I understand the reasons for this, but I'd be more comfortable if the towels used were clean, rather than the examples I saw, which were marked with patches that appeared to be various body fluids.

I've certainly stayed in worse hotels, but not for the cost that the Terminus advertises itself at - £40/night upwards. I don't have any other recent stays in Vienna to compare this with, but I suggest: if you are stopping briefly and care more about location, go ahead. For anything else, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: At the back /corridor ends for sleep quality and room size. Downstairs or centrally located on the corridor for wi-fi.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank AdamGoodfellow
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I've been in Wien and stayed in this hotel in May 2012. The hotel is very convenientily located, very close to Mariahilferstrasse, and the hotel service is very nice. Taking into account that it's a one star hotel, I was impressed with the cleanliness and the nice breakfast we had there. In conclusion, very nice and cheap hotel!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mircea01
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were staying in the hotel for one night only, which was ok I think. After few experiences over Europe - and specially bigger cities, I didn't have big expectations. Very basic hotel with simple room and bathroom, but we had a good sleep in a warm place and the breakfast was enough to survive until lunch.
The location is pretty good and the receptionist guy was really friendly!
So don't expect to much around Christmas in a cheap place in Vienna and then you will have an "alright" stay!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple