“Nice, relaxed, excellent service”
Review of Loca

Loca
Ranked #25 of 4,557 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian, International
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Description: Loca. better eat better Loca. ist nicht nur ein gewöhnlicher Name. Hinter Loca steckt viel mehr: und zwar ein erfrischend einzigartiges Konzept das verschiedene Ernährungsweisen auf geschmackvolle Art und Weise verbindet. Ganz nach persönlichem Belieben zaubern wir Gerichte, die sowohl Kohlenhydrat-arme, als auch eine fett-reduzierte Ernährung unterstützen. Low Carb. Eine Mahlzeit, bei der fast voll und ganz auf Kohnlenhydrate verzichtet wird, ist nicht nur leicht bekömmlich, sondern kann auch toll schmecken. Low fat. Wer von Fett ablässt, muss im Loca. nicht auf Geschmack verzichten. Wir beweisen dir in unseren kulinarischen Kreationen, dass auch ein fett-armes Menü ein dickes Lächeln ins Gesicht zaubern kann. Local. Bei uns kommen nicht nur Liebhaber der ausgefallenen Küche auf ihre Kosten. Auch für den bodenständigen Gourmet gibt es Allerlei aus der traditionellen österreichschen Küche zu entdecken - angerichtet im gewohnt stilvollen Loca. Wir wünschen "an Guaden!".
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I booked a table for this restaurant months before visiting Vienna after reading the accolades from Tripadvisor. I got a confirmation very quickly to my email as a confirmation and a few extra questions with no problems.

The restaurant looks very nice and tidy, you can see the kitchen and the chef making the food as there is an open kitchen. Decoration is "all white" and it suits the place well. You will be warmly welcomed, and you´ll feel as an important customer immediately. Also a plus for us was the fact that you are not expected to wear evening gown and black suit to visit Loca, but I would not wear shorts and a t-shirt either.

We ordered the Chef´s menu with the wines, as it is the specialty of the house. I have an allergy for fish, so there was some room to make different menus for my wife and me. The food was well made, including 6 small portions of different foods. Food tasted good and we both liked it, but we both agreed after the meal, that this kind of "fine dining" with small portions is just not our thing.

I was impressed about the fact that the owner immediately had something to say about Finland playing hockey and the fact that he actually knew results of the american football world championships going on in Vienna at the moment.

I have to say that i would give 3,8 as my rating, because there was so overwhelming accolades about the food and the restaurant, that maybe my expectations were a bit too high in advance. This being said, I recommend to try the Chef´s menu, and let the house select your wines. Be prepared to spend about 140 euro for 2 persons though. If that fits your budget, I suggest you book the table well in advance for your next trip, and visit Loca.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We made a reservation at Loca based on the high ratings and ecstatic reviews on TripAdvisor. Three of us ordered the tasting menu and the accompanying wines. The food was fresh, but nothing extraordinary and the wine pairings really seemed off. The selected wines did not go particularly well with the dishes. The decor is rather stark, nothing special about it. The cost of the meal with the wine pairings, was actually rather on the high side.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Visited in April with a friend. Booked via email from the UK in advance of our trip and very glad we did. Like most people we had the tasting menu (with accompanying tasting menu wines) which was delicious - particularly the butter fish and a raw tuna course. The meat course was a curried flank steak which I was less enamoured with but overall it was a fantastic evening, the candlelit ambiance is great, atmosphere is buzzing and despite the excellent quality of the food this is not a stuffy or pretentious restaurant.
In large part this is due to the friendly and extrovert owner who works front of house and personally waits on all the tables. He employs one cook and one dishwasher and sticks to serving only 28 covers for lunch and the same again for dinner, it's normally only open Monday to Friday, weekends only by special arrangement.
I would not hesitate to visit again next time I'm in Vienna,

Reviewed June 10, 2014

My husband and I ate dinner here last week and were thoroughly impressed. We had the tasting menu and each course was light and refreshing and delicious. I really loved this meal and our server was a very relaxed and approachable gentleman. I was really impressed when he gave us a fabulous wine recommendation and the wine actually cost less than the original one we said we wanted to order. I also think this place is really fairly priced if not underpriced for the quality and inventiveness of the food. However, the courses are really small and quite light, and my husband and I were both kind of hungry after the meal was over. Maybe we are just over-eaters. But we weren't full and we wished we had eaten more of the bread

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We booked a table for two yesterday, after reading the good reviews. The reservation was not respected by the restaurant, although we showed up punctually. Rather they kept us waiting standing and watching other people eat, which was unpleasant for us and for them. After ten minutes we decided to leave.

So I will not judge the food, but we could observe the ambiente. The place has room for some 30 guests, in small tables packed one beside the other, which prevents any sign of intimacy. Rather, you easily notice that guests need to raise their voice in order to hear each each other, rather than the conversation of the tables aside, which creates a loud background noise all the time. It reminded me of any manhattan restaurant, for those who know what I mean (packed, more than 90 decibels constantly, effective but not so friendly service, and possibly decent food at higher than the average prices). Decoration is functional industrial, in white walls and high ceilings, and from your table you manage to see the cook work.
So best luck to future visitors. If you fall in the same overbooking trap, remember that there's plenty of choice in few steps distance.

9  Thank Javier_19731202
Loca1010, Inhaber at Loca, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear Javier_19731202 !

Thank you for your review!

I just want to write a few lines to publish my view of your visit.

You called in the restaurant at 6:00 p.m. on the same evening and asked for a table. I told you, that we will have a free table after 8:30 and confirmed you the reservation for two persons, at 8:30 p.m. When you were entering th restaurant at 8:00, I told you, that I it will take about 15 minutes until your table will be ready. Your have been waiting in the entrance area of our restaurant and decided to wait. After 10 minutes of waiing, you left the resaurant, without a word. Your table was ready at 8:15 p.m.

Best regards