“Roasting house coffee bar”
Review of Alt Wien Kaffee

Alt Wien Kaffee
Ranked #35 of 145 Coffee & Tea in Vienna
Neighborhood: Old University Quarter
Neighborhood: Old University Quarter
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Located next to the market, this roasting house has a very small coffee bar at the back. Coffee was very good although the espresso to milk ratio was higher than standard for cappuccino. Still very good coffee but opens relatively late and had no cakes or pastries when I was there.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a great place to stop in to sample and buy freshly roasted in house coffee if you are near the Natsche Market. There is not a lot of seating or menu on our visit- it is all about the coffee and the roasting. We bought some beans to take home (Festtags-Mischung) and it has been excellent.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

During those four months that I lived in Vienna, my absolute favorite was going for a latte to Alt Wien Bistro. Even though the location is central, the overall feel is very intimate and very Vienna. The service is good, as it usually is anywhere in Vienna, and the coffee and food are excellent. The charm of this oldtimer will bring you back to it, where you will meet proper Wieners drinking their morning coffee or having their early lunch.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Happen to stumble upon this great establishment by pure chance and loved it so much we returned the next lunchtime before leaving Vienna . A great treasure in the middle of the centre and yet so peaceful , friendly staff who all spoke English.
Although there ia a Smokers room as you enter , don't be put off if you are non smokers like us, there is an equally good room further in .
Can recommend their White wine Gruner Veitling at 2 euro a glass( nicely chilled too) and their Goulash soup. Wished it was my local bar.....

1  Thank T J
Reviewed February 27, 2010

I spend some time in Kaffee Alt Wien the last day I satyed in Vienna. I often hear that you usually discover the best places at the last moment. That was true for this plaece......... This cafe is the most genuine place I've seen while in Vienna. Other cafes where great too - such as Cafe Central and Hawelka - but this one surpassed them all. I have to say though that this cafe has a very special character, an atmosphere so genuine that, once you're in it you'll either love it or hate it. There is no middle space........
The owner of the Cafe Hawelka started his career from Kaffee Alt Wien, as you can see here
and since I've visited both places I can tell you that they both somehow have this same energy and atmosphere that makes them so special. Unfortunately, their similaries stop here, since at Cafe Hawelka (February 2010) me and my wife we paid nearly 18 euros for a double espresso, a hot chocolate and one dessert/cake, while the next day 4 persons at Kaffee Alt Wien we paid 52 euros for 2 double espressos, 2 hot chocolates, one beer (1/2 litre), three soups, three small and one big gulash plates/portions..............The food was great even though a little spicy (that was not a problem for any of us, but I have to mention it), and while I was there I felt that I travelled back in time. This place was full of local people - we stayed there for nearly 2,5 hours and I saw only one person who looked like a tourist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you like this kind of atmosphere in a place, Kaffee Alt Wien is the best place to go in Veinna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank gatsouni