“You get what you pay for”
Review of Casa Romana

Casa Romana
Ranked #3,508 of 4,417 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Italian
Neighborhood: Inner City
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Just ate a fairly good o pizza at this pizzeria located in the basement. Friendly personal bur unfortunately they show ni e Italian nor English. Usually this is expected from an Italian Restaurant in a very touristic area.

At first we were not sure we wanted to eat there because there was only two other couples eating there; but after 5 mn the place was full. This was a good sign.

We ate good home made pizzas. Compliments for the excellent Hot Olive oil. If was gorgeous.

The price was excellent. Unfortunately the wine was very expensive and they either sell 1/8 of a bottle which is about the content of a small glass or they offered a big bottle. They did not offer in between measures such as 1/4 or 1/2 liter. But that might be the case in Vienna. The personal was very kind. The pizza was light abs delicious.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We were hot and tired when we found this place. The waiter was pleasant but not overly so and on par with the others we dealt with on average in Europe (again not unpleasant); he was very efficient and even wrapped the remainder of the pizza to go (I didn't think that was a common occurrence). He didn't seem to be looking down his nose at us for speaking English (unlike the waiter down the street at a restaurant serving traditional Austrian food - he appeared to treat us though we were something he scraped from his shoe). I'm not an expert on Italian food; I just know what I like and don't like, so I enjoyed my dinner. My mother enjoyed her pizza. It met our needs and tasted fine. When we left, the man working the dough asked where we from, proceeded to talk politics and told us the name of his homeland plus the waiter's homeland - he pulled in the waiter, who became much more animated. This made our evening much more enjoyable, and we wish we could have talked to them a little longer although between the 4 of us there were three different political views. If I ever visit Vienna again, I'd eat here.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We made the mistake of assuming that we could eat well at this restaurant. I ordered Linguine de Mare and my wife ordered Pasta Bolognese. Both were a disaster. If you love Italian food( and we have travelled widely throughout Italy) do not eat here. They are indifferent both to quality and service. All they know about is how to charge.

1  Thank Paul F
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I dined solo at Casa Romana during a recent trip to Vienna. I had, had a pretty crazy travel day so I was looking for something close and Casa Romana is right in the middle of pretty much everything in the area by St. Stephen's cathedrial.

I can't comment on the inside of the place as I never saw it, but I was able to quickly grab a nice spot on their outdoor seating patio aka the sidewalk. The area is lined with some nice foliage though, so you don't feel as if you're sitting in the street or on top of pedestrians!

I ordered gnocci, pizza bread and bottle of mineral water all for under 15 euro. It was good, not the best i'd ever had but I also ordered Italian food in Austria. Their menu was extensive and the couple next to me ordered a pizza that looked AMAZING!

Service was prompt and polite - an enjoyable end to a stressful day!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

When we were at this place today, it was quite nice if you don't consider the waiter who forgot what I didn't want on my pizza and still brought it out the wrong way and didn't even say sorry. Our opinion changed, however, when a nice English speaking lady from the next table asked as what she was supposed to pay 5€ for, according to her receipt. When we looked at it, we couldn't figure it out either, it just said "Aufpreis Küche", which doesn't make sense at all, especially considering that the "Casa Romana" is not such a nice place, but just a regular pizza place on the street. The 2 waiters said different things when she asked them (for service, for bread that they hadn't even ordered...), so eventually, they put away the 5€ from her bill. But still, she had to ask Viennese people. Nice fact on the side: when we, german speaking people from Vienna, got our receipt, there was no "Aufpreis Küche" at all. Better stay away from this place if you don't want to be cheated on - the pizza is good, but you can get good service as well somewhere else!

Als wir heute im "Casa Romana" waren, war es zuerst gar nicht so schlecht, abgesehen davon, dass der Kellner den falschen Pizzabelag brachte und es ihm so gar nicht leid zu tun schien.
Unsere Meinung änderte sich allerdings, als uns eine englischsprachige Dame vom Nebentisch ansprach, was denn die 5€ auf ihrer Rechnung bedeuteten: "Aufpreis Küche". Wir hatten keine Ahnung - das Casa Romana ist ganz sicher nicht edel genug, um einen derartigen Aufpreis zu verlangen - und als sie nachfragte, gaben die beiden Kellner komplett unterschiedliche Gründe an (für den Service, für nicht bestelltes Brot...) und schlussendlich nahmen sie die 5€ von der Rechnung. Erst, nachdem die Dame uns gefragt hatte! Auf unserer Rechnung (deutschprachig, aus Wien) war so etwas natürlich nicht zu entdecken...eine absolute Touristenfalle! Am besten woanders hingehen, wenn man sich nicht ärgern will - die Pizza war gut, aber anderswo gibt's gute Pizzen UND guten Service!

2  Thank Ad A