“The Story of Sisi Makes this Good”
Review of Sisi Museum

Sisi Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$208.88*
and up
Empress Sisi Sightseeing Combo in Vienna Including Schonbrunn Palace, Hofburg...
Ranked #35 of 606 things to do in Vienna
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Sisi is an interesting woman who had a fascinating life and death. In some ways reflecting of Princess Dianna of modern times. It is amazing how much her husband loved and stood by this self tormented woman. The apartments help bring the story to life as do many other visuals. I am a male and even I liked it! Four Stars.

2  Thank AndyandCathy

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Sissi Museum contains the history of Princess Sissi. It shows her marriage and life history, along with some visualization of her rooms and such.. For some people it might be very interesting. But for me, i find out quite boring as they show so many tablewares (Cake stands, dishes, etc)..

Reviewed May 2, 2013

There are 2 parts here that I want to detail: the museum itself and the historical part of Sisi's life.

The museum is great, it offers great information that is structured starting from her birth to her assassination and what was left behind. The free audio-guide is a great feature, plenty of language options and good information. The rooms are impressive, their day to day activities sounds crazy for this century, there is history all around and it was an overall good visiting experience.

What I was not convinced though is why she is considered so important in history. After all she was, in my humble opinion, just a rebel forced to marry a king she did not care about. Yes, she suffered from this forced choice, but all the queens in those days had to do the same thing. She did not leave behind any kind of major impact on people's lives, except a few poems (even those influenced by a close friend) she did not make history changes, she didn't leave an actual mark behind her, she was a tormented soul who enjoyed freedom and travelling. Yes it was a tough life, no questions asked, but nothing else. Oh, yes, she was beautiful, that is true. But there are other important women in history, that actual did something other than complain.

The visit in itself was good, I enjoyed it, and if you want to understand more about her life, this is definitely a place to be!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

During a weekend trip to Vienna I decided to go to the Sisi Museum in order to learn more about Empress Elisabeth of Austria who’s history seemed quite interesting to me.

The museum was not hard to find as it is part of Hofburg Palace and has its main entrance in Michaelerplatz. On the museum websites there are very good directions with both public traffic suggestions and a decent map.

Upon arrival there was some queuing, but the flow of people were well managed and seemed efficient. At the ticket desk you were given an option of a ticket with an audio tour, a ticket with a guided tour or a special Sisi ticket for entrance to other Sisi related museums such as the Imperial Furniture Collection. I decided to go for the cheaper ticket and received a audio machine to carry with me around the museum. The different objects of the museum have a number sticker next to them and you simply dial this number on the audio machine and a voice tells you about the object. I really like this form of museum tour as you choose your own pace and can listen to the different recordings again if you want to.

The tour of the Sisi museum guided you on a chronological journey through the empresses life. All the highlights and important bits are covered and the museum has many interesting object such as dresses, letters, pictures, travel bags and so on. The audio machine provides funny anecdotes, dramatic scenes and interesting facts throughout the tour and I found every bit of the recordings interesting. Nothing was excessive or too little of.

My only complain about the Sisi museum is that the rooms and passageways you are guided through are rather narrow. When the museum is busy, like I imagine it often is, this can make you a little claustrophobic. I also found that the air could get a bit stuffy and that air-conditioning could be better. Apart from this I found the Sisi Museum an excellent experience that I really enjoyed and would recommend as a “must-see” if you visit Vienna.

1  Thank Stian568
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I bought the ticket for the Sisi Museum, who also gave me entrance to silverware and the royal apartments. I was interested mainly in Sisi. And I wasn't disappointed. The museum shows facts and memorabilia from the empress. Her melancholic life is well represented in her quotes and poems. The apartments are also interesting, showing the main rooms (Josef, Sisi, guests, dinner room, ball room, etc.).