“Stylish cafe - recommended for observing the Viennese.”
Review of Cafe Diglas

Cafe Diglas
Ranked #24 of 102 Dessert in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Old University Quarter
Description: Cafe Diglas, one of the classic traditional Viennese coffee houses in a very central location. Open 365 days a year for its guests, 8 clock early to 22:30. Here you can start your day with a wonderful selection of breakfast offerings, reading newspaper croissants, enjoying fresh out of the oven. And at noon we will drive with 5 different, again created daily menus. We inspire hearty Viennese cuisine with new variations. For dessert, there's then, as befits a true pastry Temple, the famous stake. But apricot dumplings and plum dumplings, each have a seasonal permanent place on our map. The snack is a separate issue, take one look at the display case filled with all the delicacies that are baked fresh every day her grandmother's recipes. The real Diglas guest know that you should not be late, because at delivery the souffles are lukewarm and not yet eaten the coveted banana slices. At 19 h leads the pianist the evening. We show you how you can end the stressful city life gently with a glass of wine. A fluffy pancake-Diglas
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We went at tea time and had a sandwich and a few drinks. A very classic Viennese coffee house, with a good mixture of people - some having lunch, others tea and cake, others having a drink. The service is professional with lots of busy male waiters. It's a good atmosphere and what we had was well presented. It's an ordinary interior - the Cafe Central is apparently a lot more spectacular if you like interesting interior design!

There are newer reviews for Cafe Diglas

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This place has been run by the same Family for over 100 years. The place is crowded; but with good reason. We had viennese coffe and cakes and enjoyed both.
Only setback: Credit Cards are not accepted

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Took my family to Diglas / Wollzeile for breakfast this morning and the service was the worst we had encountered so far during our 5 weeks in Austria. Both waiters, one older man and a young woman, were extremely rude. I am a Viennese born but now living in Australiawoman and we were conversing with the waiters in German, so there could have been no misunderstanding or language related confusion. Maybe they didn't like it that I had to make a second request for lemon with my tea, as ordered but not brought. Or maybe they didn't like my request for a full vup of tea instead of the half empty one which they served. Or it could have been the polite question about the missing 4th breakfast when the other 3 had almost finished theirs. How long does it take to make ham & eggs when the place was almost empty? The missing dish was then unceremoniously plonked infront of my daughter with a grumpy "here". When it came to paying and I asked if they took credit cards the waiter grumbled "nah" as h turned away to pick up dishes from the table behind us. I hadtodo a double take and asked again as I couldn't believe what just happened and he used the same rude and grumbly voice saying "nah" again.
I SUGGEST THE MANAGEMENT SHOULD SEND THEIR WAITERS TO HAVE BREAKFAST IN CAFE CENTRAL / HERRENGASSE SO THAT THEY EXPERIENCE WHAT EXCELLENT SERVICE IS LIKE. We had enjoyed an outstanding breakfast there the day before and were sorry that we decided to try something else. Believe me, Diglas WAS something else!

2  Thank darkonprime
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Situated near our hotel we visited it daily, mostly in the afternoon for coffee and apple strudel which were very good. love the design, very cozy.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

The title is what a Viennese friend told me, and I think she is right! The schnitzel and goulasch were both superb. Even though they were mobbed with Christmas crowds, the friendly hostess found tables for our large group. Everything we tried was delicious. Highly recommended if you have to pick one place to sample all the best Viennese traditions, from mains to cafe and pastries!