“Come on Trip Advisor - get the hotel's name right!”

Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design
Ranked #6 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Datchet, United Kingdom
“Come on Trip Advisor - get the hotel's name right!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I can't find anywhere else on the TripAdvisor site to post this comment, so apologies, but here goes ...
The majority opinion is that this is a splendid hotel, so let's get the name right! It's the Hotel Rathaus WIEN (City Hall Vienna), not Rathaus WEIN (City Hall Wine)!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Michael H
oderwitz, Manager at Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Michael from the UK!

Very good to know that guests are interested in our hotel´s name and trying to find out the meaning. However: Tripadvisor is right with our name... :)! (Name and facts, of course, are provided by the hotel!).

Let me explain shortly our hotel´s name and the meaning. Before we took over this hotel, it used to be a rather old fashioned hotel named "Hotel Rathaus". The name was obviously given as it is just a stroll away from the Rathaus (english: Council Hall). When we took over in 2004 we comletely renovated the whole house, gave it a state of the art design and established partnerships with Austrian winemakers. This is why the former name "Hotel Rathaus" got its appendix "Wein and Design".

"Wein" is, indeed, the German word for wine...!

But I admit Wien and Wein might be mixed up by English speaking guests, but I hope you can understand now and there is really nothing to blame Tripadvisor on... :)!

You may also check our website (although I am not allowed to name it here on TA, but you will find it on our tripadvisor ranking) and you will find more details about our Wien- and Wein-Theme!

Hope to welcoming you and a lot of other TA-readers in our wine hotel in Wien (Vienna) soon.

Conrad Schröpel
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
NYC
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Great room design themes, spotlessly clean and neat and, most of all, an EXCELLENT staff. The sunny bar / dining room is very good for meals, a glass of wine, a meeting point or just relaxing.

The friendly, attentive staff really made me feel "at home" here.

When I asked if I could get a couple of shirts laundered and ironed, they were picked up and returned on hangers within a few hours. Wow!

At first glance, the neighborhood seems a bit off the beaten path, but this hotel is within walking distance of most center city locations and is in a safe Vienna neighborhood with character. Of course, with the wine theme, ask about Austrian wines and you will learn something.

The only negative I found was the entry, which is a bit clumsy with some steps and a winding staircase.

Room Tip: Discuss the "view" at check-in.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DJKTraveler
Cool
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is part of a continuing series of my impressions and experiences staying at various hotels and resorts while traveling to attend concerts worldwide. This stay was during my extension trip throughout Eastern Europe and London in May and June 2013. This review is for Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design.

Property: Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design
Location: Vienna, Austria
Address: Lange Gasse 13, Vienna 1080, Austria
Phone: 011 43 1 4001122
Website: www.hotel-rathaus-wien.at
Room Type/Class: Standard
Date: May 26-27, 2013
Booking Source: Booking.com
Overall Rating: 5/5 [Note: Score is totally subjective based on price, location, and comparison to "like" properties within same area and price range]

This was the second hotel I stayed at in Vienna on this trip, for just one night after visiting other countries and returning to Vienna to fly out of that airport to London for the second half of my trip. I selected this property based on reviews published on TripAdvisor.

Since I had a rental car, and there was no obvious parking options in front of the hotel, I found a parking garage down the street, and it just so happened to have been the parking partner for the hotel, so I paid for an overnight space and walked to the hotel.

While "vintage" in appearance externally, once inside the hotel it is something altogether different. It is definitely one of the coolest hotels I've ever stayed at, and would not hesitate to book another stay for a future visit.

More cool and hip/different than "modern", it exudes character.

While you have to walk up a short set of stairs to get to the front desk area, the rest of the property is accessible via a single elevator, which rises up and down the center of the hotel.

Check in was simple and straight forward, and while there were some dining options on site, I did not have time to use them.

Each room is customized to a specific wine/winemaker. In most hotels with such stylistic choices, these differences room to room are essentially hid from external eyes, so you don't really have any understanding of these differences unless you return again and again and stay in different rooms. However, at the Hotel Rathuas, these differences are apparent just walking down the hallway on your designated floor looking for your own room, as each of the other rooms have very cool customized doors showing the theme for each of the neighbors.

The room itself was positively massive compared with the size of most rooms you find in Europe and England. Huge.

The decor in the room and, really, everything about it was extremely impressive. It had all of the amenities you might expect, but will otherwise let the photos speak for themselves.

One of the highlights of the room for sure is the shower, which has options to turn on many, many showerheads, some on the side and one large rain-type overhead. It is like a car wash for people.

The bed was very comfortable and multiple windows provided awesome local views.

There was also a large, very functional desk.

Definitely a very nice place and excellent value for Europe. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rock-Subculture
oderwitz, Manager at Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Mr "Rock Subculture" :)!

Thank you for your kind review on TA.

Although your stay with us was rather short we are happy to learn you have had a good time here and shared your experiences with the readers of Tripadvisor.

Whenever your travel plans should include Vienna again, we shall be glad to hosting you again.

Best regards,

Conrad & the team from the Hotel Rathaus - Wein & Design
Sydney
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in May 2013. Location is near the Rathaus (Town Hall) and is within 5 min walk to two subway stations, and about a 20 minute walk to Stefansplatz. Extremely friendly staff, funky outdoor area, nice bar and restaurant area. The rooms are enormous - with separate toilet and bath/shower. Lots of cupboard space, a desk, lounge chairs. Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank adswein
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I recently stayed here for 3 nights and overall enjoyed my stay and would recommend the hotel again. As there are already plenty of other reviews, I'll hop right into things:

THE GOOD:
--The staff: They were wonderful, friendly, helpful and had great English skills (as my German is nonexistent)
--The rooms: New, modern, spacious, trendy. Our room was great. Nice bathrooms, modern shower, overall it I loved it.
--Free WiFi: It was free and worked well
--The wine: That's half the reason to stay here! Great selection with half and full bottles depending on your needs. On top of that, the staff seemed to know a lot about each of the wines and were very helpful when selecting what we were looking for.

THE MEDIOCRE:
--The location: Yes, it is a decent location, but finding it on our first night from the closest U-bahn stop was a bit of a hassle. Once we figured out where we were, it was easier to get around. Not a huge issue in the long run.
--The bed/bedding: Okay, it was comfy, I'll agree to that. But it was split into two smaller mattresses side by side. Which I could cope with except then they gave us 2 half duvets/comforters that always seemed to slide off one side or the other in the middle of the night.

THE BAD:
-Our window view was of a wall. I know they can't change the layout of the rooms, but I was disappointed.
-We put up the "Do Not Disturb Sign" and they still cleaned our room while we were out. Honestly, it only happened once, but I was pretty annoyed. Even if we're not in there, if the sign is up, I'd rather have housekeeping fully stay out of my room, at least that's my personal preference.

OVERALL:
I'd stay here again in a second. The staff was super friendly suggesting local restaurants and just being nice in general. The room we were in was great and spacious. The location wasn't too bad. I'm only giving this 4/5 and not 5/5 because of the poor view from our room and the fact that housekeeping ignored our DnD sign while were were out and cleaned our room. That really annoyed me, but at least it was on our last day.

Room Tip: When you book, ask to see if they have a room with a street view. Rooms of the inner "courtyard...
3 Thank Schruminator
oderwitz, Manager at Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear guests from Stamford, UK,

thank you very much for taking your time to write your review on TA and for sharing your experiences with other guests.

Your comments are very valuable for us in order to improve our inhouse standards on those issues where we have an impact on it.

Good to know you have had an overall good experience in our house.

I would take the opportunity to say sorry regarding the chambermaid who thought your "please do not disturb tag" was wrongly placed and you meant "please make the room" and she wanted to make everything right and cleaned the room. I will, however, train our staff again to look more carefully which side of the tag is posted. Funny enough, yesterday we have had a guest who complained that his room was not cleaned up, but he used the "do not disturb tag..." :)!. Needless to say, we cleaned up his room immediately.

For the comfort of our guests we also provide double duvets as we know from some guests from overseas that they prefer those. Here in Austria it is more common to have to single duvets, our single duvets are 190 x 140 cm.

But again, I am very happy you have chosen our little boutique hotel in Vienna and for your next trip, please feel free enough to let us know all your requirements regarding room layout (we have very tranquil courtyard rooms, very liked by guests who prefer to sleep with open windows and no city noises), but we have also very nice rooms with a magnificent view over the city in the third and fourth floor and we always try to fulfill every guest´ wish regarding the room.

Please accept my best regards from sunny Vienna and thank you again for your stay with us!

Cordially

Conrad Schröpel
Southport, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I am glad I looked in tripadviser for a hotel in Wien. This is a Gem. We like walkiing and have seen all of the sights inside the Ring strasse from here, by just walking there, so top marks for the location!
Even though we had a lot of rain , we enjoyed the stay here.
The surprise starts when you come into the reception and the lounge area.
From the outside the house is a traditional house that fits into the neighbourhood. some painting on the groundfloor outside gives you a clue, that this is not going to be an ordinary place.
Every room is named after a winery and has been recently refurbished with a modern decor and the rooms are large and comfortable. Free internet is included !
Quality can be seen everywhere. Afternoons the lounge provides snacks and drinks, no not for free, but extremely nice! Light dinners are available and they are top quality, if you like real healthy food!
Breakfast is an experience, the selection of top quality fruit and breads, juices and cheese are mind boggling.
No wonder this place gets a rating like this!!!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Room Tip: choose one in this hotel!!! we took what was given to us and it was great!!!!
1 Thank Jack B
Norcross
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Hotel's classy and full of modern features design, spacious room and fantastic breakfast made our stay in Vienna very pleasant. The staff was very attentive, knowledgeable and extremely polite, which is another sign of a high class establishment. Located very close to the Metro station and literally within a minutes’ walk from the City center, this hotel is nested in a quiet street away from noisy traffic and crowds. Hotel has a nice courtyard and a cozy bar with an extensive selection of local vines. There is a great restaurant close by where we ate dinner a couple of times. Its name is Fromme Helene, very good food and service. When we are in Vienna again, we will stay at Hotel Rathaus, no reason to look for anything else.

1 Thank norcrosstraveler