We got off the train from the airport into the main city station and asked a cab driver for a ride to Spiess and Spiess. It's not worth the fare, we were told, so off into Vienna we wandered, baby in tow, and walked for ages down long streets lined with rowhouses that reminded me of London. At last we reached the street of the hotel--at last, at last, what a hike!--to find a tube station at the end of the street (although, sans bags and baby, the walk was doable). Lovely, two stops from the Ringstrasse! The hotel was at first dismaying: steps and steps, the welcome desk still showed signs of having rather recently been the hotel bar, a lift so small it took one of us at a time (although it did fit me with the baby). Out I plunged into a narrow hallway and found more steps, open the door into a dark hallway with yet more steps. Ye Gods, spare me! And then I opened the door at the top of all of these steps and I burst out laughing. I set down the baby who bolted, squealing joyfully, through the massive white room, the gorgeous crisp white couches and the breakfast table and huge bed piled high with comforters, to the huge floor-to-ceiling windows sheered with pale gauze so that they glowed like the Alps when the sun hits the snow just right... "It's the best one yet," l called to my poor husband, just emerging blinking from the miniature elevator. And it was: a water closet, a huge 3-person tub, hot shower. A wonderful breakfast in a lovely conservatory with delightful eggs cooked by Herr Spiess. A short subway ride into the city, but now that we had set down our bags we found an open-air market and a park right there, and we fell in love with Vienna before we saw anything else, and now all we want to do is go back and go back and go back, and always stay at Spiess and Spiess.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a small family owned boutique hotel / B&B in the hearth of Vienna. Spacious, bright, and elegantly furnished rooms of timeless beauty with heated stoneware flooring and large bath tubs in all rooms are what makes us special. Very comfortable beds, Air-conditioning, and included breakfast are standard. In one of the best residential areas of Vienna, located in a quiet back street in a (in 2002) remodeled old (originally built just before 1900) house of classical style, yet directly at an underground stop just a few minutes away from all important places in Vienna, we are the perfect place for your stay in Vienna - no matter if for business or pleasure (or both). Allergy friendly hotel according to ECARF-Standards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Fastbooking, Agoda, Hotwire and Priceline so you can book your Hotel SPIESS & SPIESS Appartement-Pension reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spiess And Spiess Appartement
- Spiess & Spiess Appartement Hotel Vienna