“Not overly impressed...”

Ranked #7 of 113 Vienna B&B and Inns
Frankfurt, Germany
“Not overly impressed...”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The Rooms is a nice B&B, conveniently located (only 5 min. walk from Kagran metro stop) in a quiet neighborhood close to the old Danube. The building and the rooms are well-designed and you can tell that a lot of thought and effort went into choosing cool furniture to give the whole place a very contemporary touch.

Unfortunately, soundproofing is lacking, so you can hear other guests have a conversation in the next room which I find quite exacerbating at night. It's also a little on the pricey side, if you consider the fact that it's not in the city center.

The reason why I chose a B&B instead of an anonymous chain hotel was to have some sort of personal interaction with the hosts (i.e. ask questions about good restaurants, sights, etc.) Unfortunately, this was not the case at all here and became especially apparent during breakfast. People here just seemed very indifferent and not very hospitable.

Breakfast was served on the table in the morning in a sort of buffet style...some fresh fruit and nice bread...but you were asked what you wanted to drink, got your ONE cup of coffee and then the host disappeared for good and shut the door. Makes you feel kind of weird when you have to ask for a second cup of coffee, especially considering the price of the B&B.

On my next trip to Vienna, I'll give a chain hotel another chance.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Thats the best hotel we ever seen in my life and thats why:

1. The owner of the hotel - Eva, is very kind and helpful person. I didn't felt like i was in hotel, i felt like i was at home :D Thank you so much Eva!
2. Location is great for me. Its VERY quiet place, away from all the noise. But still, you can get to the center in 10 minutes with public transport. You can always have a great meal nearby the hotel, on the river restaraunt. But take care, Austrian dishes are served for dinosaurs - very big.
3. The rooms are adorable, each one is unique and build with love.
4. Breakfast gives you chance to try different tasty cheeses along with a chance to have a nice chat with your neighboors.

So, the conclusion.The rooms B&B is the best what happened with us in Vienna. Ok monkeys at haus des meers was great too :D

Room Tip: Each room is unique, look at website!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 28, 2012

A friend and I stayed three nights with Eva towards the end of this month. The location is a bit outside of town but a quick U-Bahn ride to pretty much anywhere you need to go. The room was nice and the breakfast was a welcome change to the other B&Bs we stayed at during out trip. Eva gave us some great recommendations for restaurants and must do sites. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

The B&B is located in a quiet suburb of Vienna, but is only a 5 minute walk to the metro which gets you downtown in 15 minutes. The breakfast was good and included eggs cooked to order, small fruit bowl, bread with home made jam, fruit and cheese, coffee and tea. The owner was helpful and pleasant and tried to make our stay enjoyable. She has taken great care in decorating the rooms. The basement room is bigger and cooler, but dark and the upstairs room was smaller but brighter.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Globetrotters321
Lomianki, Poland
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Close to metro station and VIC. No problems with parking a car. Nice rooms with Wi-Fi and very comfortable mattress. Delicious breakfast with variety of bread, jams, cheese, fantastic onion marmolade, fruits, eggs and perfect espresso. I will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jusia m
Tenbury Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This was a very disappointing three nights stay. The room was badly organised. There was no space either side of the bed for clocks, spectacles, water etc, so we had to use the chair. Service was completely missing. We hardly exchanged a word with the owner. Breakfast was OK, but again impractical. The table was crammed full of stuff, which meant you were always missing jars, boards etc around. Not once were we asked whether we would like more tea or coffee. No advice or support about vienna apart from a map. And they want cash!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Peter C
book22, Inhaber at The Rooms Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear Peter!

First of all thank you that you decided to stay in a our bed&breakfast. I take your critical comments very seriously and would like to clarify a few things to all our future guests and mainly to all the readers of this review.

I do remember very well that the days that you were at our place, - and I apologize sincerely, that I did not spend enough time with you in answering questions or making recommendations. This was clearly not ok from me but for my excuse I have to say that it was simply some of these days were you just don't know what to do first and you run from morning to evening and still don't finish. I think everybody goes through this sometimes and I really regret that as a result you felt "neglected".

I did greet you in the morning though, that is for sure, and you could have said something then. And here is what I don't understand, - why not say something right away? Why is tripadvisor being used afterwards in order to let out all the frustration? You did not give me any chance to fix things. Even the room, if you were not happy we could have moved you. But without knowing there is nothing I can do. This is quite an unfair practice and I do not like this about tripadvisor.

This is a bed&breakfast and I would like to stress that this is a family run small individual place. We do not have a concierge, a 24 h front desk, a bar, etc.. Our rooms are all different, one smaller but has a balcony, one in the basement, all different designs and interior. And that's what makes this place charming.

Our guests enjoy sitting on the big table with people they just met from different places of this world and exchange their experiences. Handing over plates to one another has never been a problem here. Is it more enjoyable to queue and fight with 100 other people over a huge buffet packed with jams in tiny plastic containers manufactured in huge factories and pre made scrambleded egg that is just being poured out of huge jars into chafing dishes?

Our breakfast items are home made and made to order and we avoid any unnecessary waste. We always aks our guests if they would like more coffee/tea. It is hard for me to believe that in your case we made an exception. It must have been a misunderstanding.

And: we do take credit cards. You just have to ask....

You did not have a great time here, and I am truly sorry. Please contact me, maybe there is still something I can do about it.

All the best,

Eva
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed six nights in March 2012.The rooms B&B provided early check-in when we arrived very early in the morning. It is located very near to the Mall and Metro station. It takes less than 10 minutes to VIC.The room is nice, warm, comfort, safe and pleasant to stay, and the bathroom is clean. However, our room is on the second floor so it was a little bit difficult to get our big bags up and down and the Wi-Fi was not available sometimes. Breakfast was better than we expected, served with variety of bread, cheese, a small cup of fruits, eggs, and good espresso. The hotel owner is very nice and very helpful. We appreciated for all her helps and enjoyed our stay at the rooms B&B very much. We will stay at the rooms for our next trip to Vienna.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends