Hotel Ambassador
Orbitz.com
The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna(Vienna)
$579
  • Pool
All reviewsneuer marktgreat locationthe main pedestrian streetopera housetwo sinksfirst flooreuropean standardsrooms are hugehigh ceilingsthe heart of the cityclassic hotelhotel restaurantold world charmjunior suitemajor attractionscomfortable roomsthe air conditioning
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Perfect location in the middle of the city center. Hotel is very clean and nice. We were upgraded to a very nice room but unfortunately the staff "forgot" to inform us about the extra fee. Eventhough the hotel is in the busy area of Vienna its very quiet and isolated. Very comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We spent four days at the Ambassador in February, combining business with a weekend of leisure, and loved this hotel. Our room and bathroom were spacious, comfortable, warm, clean and well decorated. We had an excellent breakfast every morning from room service. The staff were friendly, helpful and professional. We were the opposite side from the construction which may be a problem during the day, but remember that Austrians keep to the rules and therefore the permitted hours for construction. International newspapers arrived early, the internet worked well when we bought a card -- standard pricing -- and the hotel is good for business visits as well as for vacations. The location is wonderful -- pedestrian street on one side, taxi rank on the other -- and the small lobby pleased us: we prefer hotels that spend more on guest amenities than impressing passers by.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2010

My mother and I stayed at the Ambassador for a few nights over New Year's Eve. The location is perfect as it is very central but yet quiet. Almost all attractions and shopping areas are at walking distance. We had a very big room that was impeccably serviced every day.
However, we were quite disappointed by the service in the reastaurant. Staff was friendly and tried to do its best but there were simply not enough people to cater for the guests, both in the breakfast/dinner room and in the kitchen. Food always arrived very late. Considering the price charged for a breakfast (25 euros per person), this was not really acceptable. Morovoer, the choice and variety of food - although reasonable in absolute terms - was not at all value for money.
The service could also improve at the reception. There were a couple of friendly people, but others were slightly too brisk - and their responses uneven.
It is a pity as it could be an excellent hotel overall. The good thing is that it should not be too difficult to correct these shortcomings.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The location is great--right on Kartnerstrasse. But there was construction all around the hotel when I stayed there. My view was of the back street where there was massive construction. The rooms were quiet and huge and the bathroom was awesome. Their was a chandelier over the bed and the a/c worked great. If you only stay in the room and never use the restaurant or front desk you will like this hotel. The meals at the hotel are overpriced. Good luck getting any service too. The waiters told me to complain to the front desk that they were understaffed--as if that made it okay that they ignored me until it was time to pay for breakfast. So I was left to make my own coffee and pay 25 euros to do so. The front desk was run by an incredibly rude and condescending girl. Worst experience ever at a hotel. I made the mistake of calling down and asking about how to get my laundry done. This conversation was all in English, then she sends up a maid who only speaks German. When I go to ask a question and politely ask the front desk girl if she speaks English, she tells me (super snotty) that everyone in the hotel speaks English. To which I reply not the maid you sent up to get my laundry. When I pay 300 euros a night, I expect to be spoken to with civility. Totally lacking at this place. The business center served its purpose but is one computer and a printer in a tiny room. I think this hotel had its day and is scrimping and getting by on its location. I would check out the Bristol or Sacher and pay the entra money for better service.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Great hotel: Rooms are huge--ceilings must be 18 feet high, washrooms impeccable, clean, friendly service. Location is great--close to shopping, restaurants, St. Stephen's, etc.
Didn't try the food. A/C worked well.
Stay there. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo