“Loved our stay in LMW.”
Review of Le Meridien Vienna

Le Meridien Vienna
Ranked #73 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed September 2, 2009

We stayed for seven lovely days at LMW and generally had a wonderful wonderful experience. We had gotten an excellent rate, which I suppose, was a function of the economy.
First, the very few negatives: The showers were not exactly well thought out. While they are certainly beautiful, the design lends itself to finding yourself functioning in a pond unless the floor is covered with towels. It's not a huge problem, but be warned! Still, the bathrooms are lovely.
There is some sacrifice of convenience for style: I would have preferred closed drawers for storage, but basically the rooms were stunning and very fun to stay in.
The standard rooms would be, in my opinion, a bit small at the full price. But they are certainly at or above the norm for a big city hotel.
Initially, I was concerned about the service: I had sent a couple of unanswered emails to the hotel with several questions and requests. Upon our arrival, I noted that the Sunday manager was one of the staff to whom I had directed my email. When I asked if he had gotten my email, he seemed to think I was a little ditzy.(maybe he was right!)
However, later, the desk manager was kind enough, after finding my email later, to bring up a note apologizing for not responding and asking if he could be of any help. This was very much appreciated, although at this point, my questions and concerns had all been addressed to our satifaction.
In addition, our TV and minibar went on the blink while we were there. A quick call brought immediate assistance and all was resolved efficiently. Occasionally, there was a small delay in providing our requests, but overall, the staff was wonderful. Quick, thorough and pleasant was our experience with the staff and service.
The concierge was wonderful. Very helpful and very accommodating.
One interesting thing of note was this experience: we had forgotten a few toiletries that the hotel could not provide although they did have many items we needed.
We live in NYC, which has a least one drugstore on every block. Not being familiar with where Viennians get such items, we asked at the desk and were sent to the apothecaries, which was not what we wanted exactly. Eventually, after wandering around, we discovered the large drugstores and found all that we needed. I think it may have been just a language issue, but also, I think that hotel staff does not often live near the hotel they work in, so they are not always aware of where things are in the vicinity of the hotel.
With those very few issues, I have to say that we are in love with the LMW. The location is perfect and everyday of our vacation was a joy. Room service was quite yummy and well presented; the beds, while a bit soft, were posh. We had not a moment of noise from the disco night downstairs and were not at all troubled by the young crowd at the bar. To the contrary, we enjoyed the modern museum of art atmosphere. We appreciated being invited to an exhibit opening in the lobby, although we had plans that evening and could not attend.
My scientist boyfriend had to spend quite a bit of time working from the room and found even the basic internet service to be adequate for his needs.
If I had not been so enthralled with touring Vienna, I would have spent even more time enjoying the hotel. Even the gym was great, although I only got my lazy vacationing body down there once!
We loved Vienna very much and this hotel was a huge part of our postivie experience.
While we will seek out the Le Meridians whereever we travel, we will be sure to return to the LMW. It will not be soon enough for me and I wish we were there now!

2  Thank gabriellemimi
frontofhouse, Front of House Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2009

Dear gabriellemimi!

What a pity we could not meet up when you where staying with us. I red you comment with great interest, especially the part with the drugstore or pharmacy. It is no excuse but most definitely it was a language but even more a cultural issue. Since drugstores in Vienna are not the same as the ones in wonderful New York City. Same applies for the pharmacy. Funny enough in the week you were in our hotel, our associates absolved a concierge training on the major places of interest for the hotel guest. We will definitely follow up on you suggestion with the drugstores and pharmacy and implement it in our next training. Tipp for next time, if you need anything from toiletries to aspirin just contact the ambassador service, they would be more than happy to get it for you so you don’t need to wonder around an you can enjoy your stay even more if you decide to return. Thank you for commenting, I will personally pass on you praise. It is you that motivates us to go the extra mile. Wishing you all the best and sincere regards from Vienna, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 1, 2009

My wife and I stayed in Vienna two nights and landed a great deal on this one. The location was perfect--mere blocks away from the Opera house and museums. Everything downtown was within reach. Also, there were several streetcar stops and a U-bahn station nearby. Vespas are available to rent (though we didn't try them). Staff was knowledgeable and most helpful. We didn't bring a laptop so we couldn't make use of the free wifi in the room, but there were three terminals with free internet located one floor down from the lobby.

The modern decor was interesting, from the art showcased in the lobby to the different sounds played throughout the day inside the elevators. Room was quite comfortable, though one minor complaint was that the shower door's design allowed water to spill into the rest of the bathroom.

1  Thank wrdport

Dear wrdport.

Thank you so much for posting you comments. It is with your feedback that we can find problems which guest encountered and implement changes to solve these. Therefore we have taken the shower issue very seriously and have already adapted half of our rooms with shower doors so that when you return you will have no trouble with our unique power shower and splash around as much as you please, without wetting anything else in your bathroom. Of course in time all rooms will be equipped adequately. In future please note at your reservation that you wish to have a room with shower door. Until next time at Le Méridien Vienna, your home away from home.

Reviewed September 1, 2009

We got this hotel on Hotwire for a good rate so I was surprised to find that it was quite luxurious! The rooms were spacious and beautiful. The bathroom had an awesome pink claw-footed tub and an AMAZING shower. The service was great. We requested two separate beds at the desk and were easily obliged. Internet was free and reliable. The location was outstanding, right near the Vienna Opera House. No noise issues. No complaints!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank AS251

Dear AS251
We read your comments with joy. We are flattered about all your praise and would like to let you know that we will pass it on to our associates, since it is words and memories like yours that make our job so worthwhile. We hope to have you back soon at Le Méridien Vienna, and look forward to it.
Regards from Vienna

Reviewed August 21, 2009

We booked 2 rooms for a 4 night stay. First of all, I couldn't imagine a better location to be. The hotel is next to the opera house, it was easy to walk to the palace and all the sights, to city hall which had nightly concerts, and nashmarkt where we had many breakfast meals. The tram was right in front of the hotel so we hopped on one to go to a heurigan as recommended by the staff one evening, which was great.
The hotel lobby decor is bordering on strange, but you could also call it modern art :), we loved the ice water and apples that they always had in the lobby. The rooms were beautiful, big flat screen tv, comfortable bed, nice high ceilings that make the rooms look very spacious. Bathroom was with modern shower and tub. The best part was the FREE minibar. Given how expensive beverages ( including water) were in Europe, this was a mighty plus! There was a nice fitness center with a pool, sauna and hottub that was free for guests which we liked.The staff was polite, but seemed all business, not overtly warm, it did match the decor/style of the hotel though. We would definitely stay at this hotel given the location, nice rooms and free minibar!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank planatrip4u
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Hotel is located very centrally, facing the opera house, walking distance to all downtown sites. The service is somewhat average but not bad for Vienna style.
The rooms are nice. Just mind that not all levels are serviced by elevators as there are quite few steps to your room after you get out of the lift and impossible to carry heavy suitcases.
Restaurant is not bad. The bar is good for a late drink and sheesha is also available.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Valeryantoaneta
Reviewed August 15, 2009

The Le Meridien is located right on the Opernring near the Opera building, the location is excellent for sightseeing. The hotel staff was great, particularly the folks at the front desk and concierge. The rooms were large and well appointed, but are starting to show their age and look a bit tattered. We loved the super large shower enclosed in frosted glass with multiple showerheads!!! The bathroom could use a bit better lighting though. The hotel has a nice pool and hot tub as well as a steamroom and sauna. Our only real complaints were that the public spaces of the hotel felt like some sort of bizzare L.A. art gallery with weird modern art sprinkled all over the place. The public spaces were not warm and cozy at all. The A/C could be a bit stronger too in the rooms (when we visited the daily high temps were in the mid 80s, which I imagine is quite warm for Vienna). Housekeeping was mediocre and took a long time when called to refill the complimentary minibar (which only included a few bottles of soda, water, and juice). We would stay there again for the right price but our experience was just ok. BTW, we loved Vienna!

1  Thank cnd123
Reviewed August 3, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Le Meridien for 3 nights on our wedding anniversary and first trip to Vienna. I was completely satisfied with the value and design of this hotel and the great service provided by the hotel staff. The hotel provided us with complimentary champagne on our anniversary without even me asking or it. They also sent us a friendly letter after returning home thanking us for the trip. The design of the hotel is modern and very cool/artsy. I think it is a nice contrast to the older architecture in Vienna and has it's own special vibe. We had lunch at the hotel restaurant and got great deal for the quality of food. The room was spacious, had a huge LCD TV, and had very comfortable bedding. The location is very, very nice. Right on the ring and close to the Opera House. It's definitely a place my wife and I would return to if we visited Vienna again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple