“Amazing Hotel in the heart of the City”
Review of Le Meridien Vienna

Le Meridien Vienna
Ranked #78 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Batam, Indonesia
“Amazing Hotel in the heart of the City”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have contacted the hotel prior my arrival and more specifically the guest relations Supervisor who arrange an immaculate stay for me for the whole three nights. Top floor rooms are super spacious with the most spectacular views to the City. Location is fabulous, just opposite the Opera house and the U Bahn station of Karl's Platz just a few steps away.
For sure I will be back as I felt like home away from home. Thank you so much to the whole Crew of Le Meridien Vienna for the fantastic stay. David at the concierge desk is extremely helpful and also Julia at the Front Office desk goes the extra mile for the entire guest satisfaction.

Room Tip: Get an executive room on the 8th floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
FrontOfHouse, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear “General Manager H”,

Thank you very much for your great review about your previous stay at the Le Méridien Vienna. It was truly a pleasure to host you and we do hope to welcome you many more times back.

We really appreciate your kind feedback about our front of house staff and personally I would like to thank you as well for your nice words about myself. I always gladly assist with requests prior arrival so we all can make sure that everything will be at least as expected but maybe even beyond expectations.

If there is anything else I can do for you or for one of your next stays please do not hesitate to contact me…you’ve got my email :-)!

Warm regards to Batam,

Guest Relations Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights in November and the hotel was just the most perfect example of a hotel that you can get. Location wise it is excellent; within walking distance of the city centre attractions.The room was superb and it was great to see the minibar included in the price. The bathroom was fully equipped with a beautiful standing bath and there was a great shower with a variety of shower heads. The bed linen was soft with the best pillows to give you a sound night sleep. In fact, if it were not expensive, I could live here!

Expense may be a negative word but I have begun to realise that being in the centre of a city is so important as you don't have to include the price of the cab or bus back to or from the hotel, which no doubt increase costs, so in my view the price for a city centre hotel was not bad. It also meant you can wander into Vienna for dinner which is advised as the restaurant is expensive.

Although the accommodation is perfect, there were a couple of not-so-good things. For the price of the hotel, as a guest you expect the main bar to be open to guests every night. However, the hotel managers closed the bar for a glitzy event on my final evening and I find this appalling. I know this is a sharp contrast to my earlier review which placed the hotel in a perfect light, but it is simply not good enough to close one of the best amenities of to the paying customer. Surely the hotel has function rooms to use instead? The barman told me this happens once a month, and although the Moet bar was open, it is smaller compared to the main bar and there were long queues and frazzled staff so it made my last night disappointing.

A further tiny criticism is the spa, it is nice to see this extra zen-like space included in the price, as it is the perfect way to escape the bustling tourists for a few moments of 'you time', but for the price you pay for the hotel bottles of water SHOULD be free. This might sound a strange criticism to place in the review but after spending a while in the sauna you do get VERY thirsty and it should be in my view just be good practice to provide free water.

Saying that, it is in the centre of the city centre so there are other bars to choose from. I hope this doesn't put you off as the hotel is near-enough perfect and the warmth and interest of the staff to make you feel special really does outweigh any negatives. I am going to make sure I visit again soon .

Room Tip: Upgrade for a superior room ... treat yourself!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank thetraveller089
Dear “thetraveller089”,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback about your recent stay with us at the Le Méridien Vienna which is greatly appreciated. We are very happy to hear that you could enjoy your days in our beautiful city and that the superb hotel location could contribute to your experience.

Certainly there is always space for improvement and development and your comments about the free bottled water in our spa area have been already a topic during our last executive management meeting to see if we might be able to add this amenity for our guests.

Furthermore I am deeply sorry that you were not able to use our Shambala bar due to a closed event. It does not happen regularly that we close one of our outlets for a private party and I apologize that this situation caused you an inconvenience.

I do hope that your travels will bring you back to Vienna and also to our hotel and we would happily seize this chance to proof that we are not nearly perfect but perfect :-)!

Thank you again for taking the time to share your impressions with us and I personally rest on your disposal for any kind of requests. Please do not hesitate to contact me at katharina.grafl@lemeridien.com and I would happily assist you with any inquiries.

Best regards,

San Diego, California
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Brad and I recently stayed at Le Meridien for two nights to celebrate a special occasion. We had just come from The St. Regis Grand Hotel in Rome, Italy, and after staying there we thought the Le Meridien could only be a disappointment. It is true that Le Meridien is as modern and efficient as the St. Regis is ornate and traditional. Normally, I don't appreciate modern furnishings and decor, but after my experience at this hotel, I'm SO HAPPY that we stayed here. First of all, they thought of EVERYTHING for the weary traveler. My hat is off to the consultants who designed the rooms. We stayed in room 801. The guy at the front desk said it was his favorite room, but we assumed he said that about every room.....until we saw it. It's at the very top floor, corner room, so you have a view from the funky slanted windows of the beautiful monuments, lights and Vienna Opera House, which is just across the street. The room was warm and toasty....something an American traveler will appreciate in the winter months, when many hotels in Europe only turn on the heat at certain times. They have everything you could need: clothes iron and ironing board, hair dryer, TWO bathrooms, so you don't have to share, a complimentary coffee station with a complimentary fridge with beer, water, orange and apple juice, etc. Did I mention COMPLIMENTARY? Who even does that anymore? Even the modern artwork, in this case, a bowl in the shape of a hand, holds fruit so that you have something to snack on. The large and spacious bathroom has a scale, a magnifying mirror, a fantastic shower with various shower-heads, a soaking tub with a pole to help you safely in and out of the tub, and a glorious, wonderful heated floor to keep your toes warm and toasty on the cold Christmas time mornings! Plus there is a speaker in the bathroom so that you can listen to CNN (or whatever you watch on TV while you travel) while you're getting ready! The bed was incredibly comfortable (we slept like rocks), and everything was very clean.
Location is excellent! Right on "The Ring" where you can walk to many Christmas Markets, shopping, and sights. You can head straight out of the hotel to catch the "Circle Line" bus which provides you a day of hop-on-hop-off privileges. Or during Christmas Market season, there's even a special tram to take you to the countless markets. The hotel is a very VERY short cab drive from the CAT Train Station, which is what you'll most likely use to get to the Airport. Hint: if you're using one of the Austrian Airlines, or a member of the Star Alliance, you can just check your bags in AT the CAT train station and get your airline tickets before you hop on the train. Fabulous if you don't want to lug large bags on the train....take advantage of this free service, you won't regret it. Meanwhile, the staff was helpful and all spoke English. Because, as I mentioned, we were celebrating a special occasion, Sabine Bernt, the House Ambassador, left us a very nice note along with a complimentary bottle of champagne, which we never had enough energy to even open....but it was a very nice thought.
Comfort, cleanliness, warmth and location....if that's what is important to you, I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 801 is spacious with the most incredible views, as it's on the top floor and corner of the...
3 Thank Princess_Pomeroy
FrontOfHouse, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear “Princess_Pomeroy”,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review about your previous stay. There is actually nothing to be added than a very big thank you for your kindness which we really appreciate.

The room 801 is indeed one of our most beautiful rooms and we always like to surprise our special occasion guests with this great roof top room. It is great to hear that we could contribute with those amenities to your extra ordinary experience in Vienna.

After your great recommendation we truly hope that your travels will bring you soon back at our city and most important to our hotel. We all would be delighted to host you again and I personally rest on your disposal for any assistance you might need.

I wish you and your family a successful start in the new year 2013 and lots of memorable moments together.

Best regards from Vienna,

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Well placed, 7 minute walk to the Spanish riding school. The Lipizzaner show is a must FYI. Helpful staff, clean and modern room - if a little hot ( and we were there in winter). Excellent in room facilities, including free mini bar. Couple of nice bars to relax in after dinner out. Although, the Moët bar is a smoking bar so you will stink. All in all, a great experience. But go out for breakfast if it's not included.

Dear “David W”,

Thank you very much for your short but nice review about your recent stay at the Le Méridien Vienna. We are happy to hear that you could enjoy the major sights during your days in Vienna and that we could contribute to your experience with our services and amenities.

I am sorry though that the smoking zone at our Le Moet bar caused you some inconveniences. We wanted to create public spaces to meet all of our guest’s needs - the ones of the smokers and the ones of the non-smokers. WIthout doubt we would be delighted to serve you your preferred drinks at the smoking free Shambala bar.

We all would beglad to host you again at our property and within your next stay we might can even seduce you to try our delicious signature breakfast which will awake all your five senses!
A happy new year for you and your family and warm regards from Vienna,

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The hotel is perfectly located near the most important visiting attractions of Vienna : Opera, The Royal Palace, St Stephen's Church, the Art Museum, plus the shopping area of Maria Hilfestrasse.
Excellent room, modern and quite sophisticated, great bathroom, nice and very polite service personnel.
I went with my mother, to enjoy the Christmas period in Vienna, and we stayed over the Xmas days also. We were very pleased to find in the room, on Xmas Eve, when we returned tired and cold from the 5 hrs walk in the city, cute red Santa Claus decorated slippers, and a nice assortment of cookies, as a gift from the hotel. It made us feel less sad that we were not at home with the family, and it gave us a real warmth feeling :). The lobby bar is also very nice,
So, although quite expensive, without forgetting that it's a 5 * hotel, I was impressed by the hotel, and I would highly recommend it !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear “mihaela_damian1006“,

thank you very much for your great feedback about your last stay at the Le Méridien Vienna. It was our pleasure to host you and your mother and we are glad to hear that you could enjoy your Christmas holidays with us.

Vienna has indeed a very magical atmosphere in December and in that special period of time we even want our guests more to feel home. The small surprise on Christmas Eve was the minimum we could do for you and I am glad that our small delights helped the blues away.

We all hope to welcome you soon back at our hotel and we may be host you again in summer so you could discover also the sunny side of Vienna.

Wishing you all the best for new year and I personally rest on your disposal for any kind of requests.

Best regards,

Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We arrived early in the day and were given our room right away, the hotel staff was great throughout our stay, very polite and very helpful with everything. The big complaint is the fact we booked this as a five star property, I don't believe this hotel should be considered 5 star. My wife and I were given a room with a double bed, it was very small for two people. The furnishings looked as if they were bought at Ikea, and the feel of the place on a whole was run down. The decor was absolutely not to my taste, nothing in the hotel was attractive, and overall it felt like function and comfort were completely thrown aside for the sake of someones artistic modern art vision. I absolutely hated the shower, it was open to the rest of the bathroom and allowed water to pool all over the floor, beautiful design, not at all functional. My last complaint is the fact the bathroom was separated from the rest of the room by an opaque glass wall, this allowed no privacy at all in the bathroom. Although the staff was great as well as the location, I would not stay in this hotel again.

2 Thank Dan K
Dear “Dan K”,

Thank you very much for your open and honest words about your previous stay at the Le Méridien Vienna. Our guest’s feedback is always highly valued and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share it with us on Tripadvisor.

Our hotel is indeed very modern and most of the art elements are truly “off beat”. I am very sorry to hear that the general décor did not meet your taste but it is certainly not our intention to create an “ikeaseque” ambience. Besides modernity, all of our rooms and its furniture still have to meet the functionality and I apologize for the discomfort experienced.

We all hope to welcome you back another time at our hotel and if you prefer the more classic Viennese style there are two other beautiful Starwood properties awaiting you: The hotel Bristol and the hotel Imperial.

Personally I rest on your disposal for any kind of inquiries in future and I wish you a successful start in the new year 2013!

Kind regards,

Parrish, Florida
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights at this hotel before departing for a Christmas Market riverboat tour of the Danube. We arrived quite early, way before check-in and were given our room location/number on a high (6) floor as we had requested prior to arrival. We went out to explore and returned at their suggested time. We were given a room on the 2nd floor and our luggage placed in the the room...this is where the "fun" begins. We refused the room and were promptly told by the smug assistant front desk manager that the room we were given on the 6th floor was occupied and that they would "never" tell us our room number...are they calling us liars? We went our for yet another walk, and returned exhausted around 2pm, room still not ready so we decided to rest in the lobby till our room was available. The snarky front desk assistant manager finally came to get us at 3:02 pm (rooms are to be ready at 3 pm) and our room was ready, and "so sorry for that it's 2 minutes late". Uh-huh. We were very gracious but we knew very well the game that way being played and we did not appreciate it. We are well traveled and did not just fall off the turnip truck.
Having said that, I cannot possibly give this hotel more than an average rating due to the ridiculousness of the assistant front desk manager.
The location of the hotel is perfect for touring the best sights and highlights of Vienna. Everything we had wanted to see and do was in easy walking distance, we had no need for public transportation however the trolly is near by as is the metro. The buffet breakfast is abundant and well done. The concierge staff very helpful and considerate. The decor is quirky but somehow it works.
There are many hotels in the area to choose from, and based on our experience, I would rather stay elsewhere next time.

Dear „Ellesor826“,

thank you very much for sharing your impressions about your recent stay at the Le Méridien Vienna. We appreciate that you took the time to give us your open and honest feedback and please be assured that your comments were taken under serious consideration.

I would like to take the chance to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced upon your arrival. Without doubt your request regarding the high floor has to be respected and I am very sorry that you experienced such an uncomfortable situation. We would like to keep the waiting time for the room at a minimum and after checking back with our assistant front office manager I can confirm that the room assigned to you prior was still occupied that time. It saddens me though the way it got communicated to you and it was surely not our intention to make you feel anyhow spoofed.

Nonetheless I am happy to hear that you generally enjoyed your stay and that the concierge service provided was to your satisfaction. Your comfort has our highest priority and we do hope to get a second chance from your side to proof your trust in our quality and services.

If there is anything I can do for you or for one of your next stays within any Starwood property worldwide please do not hesitate to contact me at katharina.grafl@lemeridien.com. I rest on your disposal and hope that your travels will bring you soon back to Vienna and at our hotel.

My best wishes for the new year 2013 and kind regards,