“Friendly, well located Viennese hotel”

Hotel Erzherzog Rainer
Ranked #46 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in late September.
Our room was on the first floor, facing the side street. It was on a non-smoking floor and there was definitely no smell of smoke anywhere on this floor.
The room was quite large with a desk, 2 chairs, closet, minibar, luggage shelf etc.
There was a flat screen wall mounted TV (with 2 English channels - CNN and Russia Today). The bathroom is quite large and very modern. The bed was a king and it was very comfortable. There are 2 types of pillows.
There was some tram rumbling in the room but when we shut the window it was not very noticeable. I wear earplugs anyway but my husband didn't and he didn't even hear the noise.
The hotel is in the older style, but inside is modern and all the public areas are very welcoming and pleasant. As are the staff, who were exceptionally friendly and obliging every time we asked anything - especially Herr Gonzalez.
Breakfast was excellent. Lots of choice, very fresh and lovely surroundings. A lot of people there appeared to be business people.
Finally the location - for us it was excellent. A short walk to the nearest train station, trams in front and a pleasant walk into the very busy centre of Stephanplatz (I wouldn't want to stay in there as it is too hectic!)
This hotel is exceptional value for an expensive city.
We enjoyed our stay at this hotel and I would stay again if I ever return to Vienna.
TIPS
1. Don't do a boat trip - it is boring and you don't see much at all
2. Allow plenty of time for Schonnbrun. We barely saw it all in a day and a half. The zoo alone deserves a full day. It is a superb zoo.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Swansforever
linda_labschuetz, Internet Guest Relation Manager at Hotel Erzherzog Rainer, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

Dear Swansforever!

Thank you for posting your detailed assessment.

We are very happy to read that we totally convinced you and that you fully enjoyed your stay.

We hope you will soon continue your Vienna exploration and look forward to welcome you back.

Schick Hotels – Over a century of Viennese charm

Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed October 7, 2011

I was expecting good things from my stay here after the reviews I read on trip advisor but unfortunately two particular staff members spoilt the experience completely. On arrival the hotel was not expecting me even though an extra night's stay had been booked and confirmed by email. I arrived after eight hours travelling and shortly after the kitchen had closed although the restaurant was still open for drinks. When I rang to ask 'could I order something to eat, something cold would be fine and was there anything they could do for me?' the answer was simply "No, no, no" to each of my requests. The hotel information asks guests to report anything they are unhappy with immediately so I thought I might get a better response from the reception - however, nothing changed and I was simply told it was useful for them to know I was unhappy!

On checking out two days later payment for an extra night's stay was demanded by the member of staff at the desk. I tried to tell him that this was being paid for by the organisation who had booked me in but it took me three attempts before he would listen long enough to take in what I was saying. When he finally did check with a colleague he didn't have the courtesy to apologise despite embarrassing me in front of other people in the lobby. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank GMir

Dear GMir!

So first of all I would like to take this opportunity and apologize on this way. I very much regret that you have not felt comfortable with us and we could not convince you.

At the time of your arrival after 22.30 o’clock, the kitchen was already closed, for this reason we could not offer you a meal. However, it would not have been a problem to order something from outside; the colleague which was on duty and checked you in is new and was obviously not prepared for such a case.
Your experience has already been forwarded and discussed in order to effectively respond to future guest needs (even beyond our own restoration times). Again sorry.

I also checked what happened on check-out and was informed that the company which booked you into the Hotel had even booked through a travel agent and only confirmed the assumption of one night. This is the reason why it took so long to clear the payment.
Nevertheless, in no case should a guest feel embarrassed in front of other travelers.

I can assure you that we take your criticism very seriously and this will help us to improve our service. We hope you will give us a further chance to convince you and show you that we can do better.

Best regards

Reviewed October 3, 2011

This was the best hotel experience my husband and I had on our trip through Europe last year. The rates this hotel charge are extremely cheap for the quality of stay we received! The room was clean and fresh with a super comfortable bed and a lovely big bathroom. The breakfast buffet (included) was DIVINE and better than some meals we had at restaurants!
It's situated in a quiet street off the main road and we had great quiet sleeps.
The best thing about this hotel by far was the staff, they were all so lovely - even the cleaners would give you a smile and hello as you walked past them - so appreciated when you're far from home to have people be so friendly :-)
When we settled our bill and they saw that we would be leaving before the breakfast buffet was open, they offered us 2 packed breakfasts for us to take with us, and sure enough when we came downstairs at a horribly early time to head off for our train, there were 2 adorable packed breakfasts full of goodies!
I definitely recomment the hotel Erzherzog rainer to whoever is travelling to Vienna, you won't regret it!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Heather G

Dear Heather G!

Thank you for your kind review.

We are very pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and that we could offer an unforgettable holiday.

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for six nights in September 2011. It is an excellent hotel close to transport. The staff was very helpful in all respect. There is also free Wi-Fi connection in rooms with excellent speed. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The rooms are very clean, but I would have liked slightly more space. I particularly liked the Wiener Wirtschaft restaurant due to its ambiance. The food is not overpriced and there are many local dishes in the menu. I would particularly recommend the "Forelle" and the homemade beer. It is an excellent hotel overall and I will stay here again.

Amitava Datta, Perth, Australia

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street may be quieter in summer as you may need to keep the window open.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank damitava
linda_labschuetz, Internet Guest Relation Manager at Hotel Erzherzog Rainer, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

Dear damitava!

We are happy to learn about your experience. With great pleasure we read that you were very satisfied with our offer and that you also took the chance to dine at our Restaurant Wiener Wirtschaft.

We noticed that the advised room was a little bit too small for you, but we hope you still felt comfortable. The Hotel Erzherzog Rainer offers different room categories and also the possibility to book a double room for single occupancy.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, for any information needed.

Sunny regards to Australia

Reviewed September 22, 2011

My son and I stayed here for a few nights recently. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. The buffet breakfast was great and the one dinner that we had there was excellent. Clean, comfortable and not too far from the sights (and there is a metro just around the corner).

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Treggie

Dear Treggie!

Thank you very much for your positive review.

We are pleased to read that you choose to stay at our Hotel Erzherzog Rainer with your son and that you had a nice time with us.

We appreciate your compliments and look forward to welcome you back soon.

With kind regards

Reviewed September 15, 2011

The staff are all very responsive and helpful, which we found to not be at all common in Austria. The location is very convenient, although not really "a stone's throw" from the Opera House.
The breakfast is really excellent. The rooms are quiet and very clean and nicely furnished. The beds are comfortable. Our only negative was that we didn't think to ask for a non-smoking rroom and floor, not knowing how many people still smoke in Austria. Fortunately, a good fan in our room helped clear the odor, and we endured the smell in the hallway.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
linda_labschuetz, Internet Guest Relation Manager at Hotel Erzherzog Rainer, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2011

Dear Bob in Seattle!

Thank you for posting your impressions.

We are happy to read that you were satisfied with your stay and that especially the hotel staff contributed to make you feel comfortable.

As you wrote not all our rooms are non smoking but you can inform us about your preference already at the time of your reservation, so that we can take it into account already at the rooms division.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon, we remain,

with kind regards

Lind Labschütz / Internet Guest Relation Manager

Reviewed August 5, 2011

The Erzherzog Rainer is in a great location; around 15 mins walk from Karlsplatz, and about 5 mins by tram, which stops almost outside the door of the hotel. The hotel is under 10 mins from the Naschmarkt which is full of great ( and very affordable) restaurants and bars. My room was fairly basic but very comfortable; my only gripe being the lack of English language TV channels.
Overall, highly recommended for a short break.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank dermot14
linda_labschuetz, Internet Guest Relation Manager at Hotel Erzherzog Rainer, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

Dear dermot14!

Thank you for your positive evaluation.

With pleasure we read that you had a nice time in Vienna and especially the hotel location offered you a great starting point for your sightseeing tours.

Your important remark about the English channels has been noticed and we thank you for steering our attention to this matter.

We thank you for recommending us and we hope to welcome you soon again.