“Very good location!”

Strawberry Youth Hostel Mittelgasse
Ranked #66 of 214 Specialty Lodging in Vienna
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I tend to find hostels can be a bit hit and miss but I would say this one is more of a hit.

The location is very good, near to the Westbahnhof train station from where you can travel anywhere on Vienna's excellent public transport system. Stephansplatz is also walkable in 25-30 mins for those who enjoy that.
I stayed in a single room and found there was plenty of space. The room was basic, but, I expected that given the price. I found especially on the weekend the corridors were quite noisy with people coming and going although again I expected this in a hostel.
There is a large common room downstairs which has free internet access. However, I was slightly disappointed as most of the other travellers didn't seem too interested in mingling with others, maybe it was just me!
Overall it is a reasonably priced, clean option with a good location to go out and explore this wonderful city.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Jonny627
There are newer reviews for Strawberry Youth Hostel Mittelgasse

Reviewed October 15, 2011

I was a bit worried because I always had bad experiences in hostels. But Strawberry hostel was great. Very clean, I slept very well and the receptionists were really kind and helpfulness.
It's a particular hostel because there was privacy and no noises. It is very close to the metro and in a shopping and lively area of Wien. I advice anyone to stay there. High standard hostel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Strawberry Youth Hostel is situated in a great location, very close to the Westbanhof train station and in walking distance to all the main attractions. Girls on reception were extremely polite and helpful and keen to recommend places of interest. Our room was clean and tidy with its own bathroom and shower. Rooms also had a fridge and beds were comfy and clean, everything you could want from a hostel. To boot, every night they projected classic films in the lounge area. This was a great hostel and would definitely return and recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights this August at around €40/night. The staff at reception speak fluent English (which is just as well for me as my German is not good). They were friendly and extremely helpful - even assisting me when I wanted to change my ticket by liaising with the bus company for me over the phone.

The room was clean, spacious and modern, with a comfy bed and en suite bathroom. There was a large door which opened onto the fire escape and a large courtyard. The self-catering kitchen looked clean and modern although I didn't use it.

There was building work next door while we were here which meant a lot of noise early in the morning. Obviously this was not Strawberry Hostel's fault, but be warned. I closed the door which shut out most of the noise and was able to sleep again.

Vienna gets hot in the summer but the staff provided me with a free fan for my room.

Westbanhoff Underground and railway station are very close by (5-8 minutes walking) and from there you can get anywhere via the metro.

I would strongly recommend this hostel. There are cheap places nearby for breakfast, or bring your own food. Bedrooms have a fridge and the kitchens look very good.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is a great place to stay when visiting Vienna. The staff were always friendly, spoke good english and were willing to help with things. The room, uni accommadation for the rest of the year, is adequate, clean and we had a nice big window with a small bathroom. Location is not too bad for the price, not far from Westbahnhof, although we did find it difficult to get round Vienna because of a lack of streetmaps or signs. We stayed for a week and it wasn't cleaned that whole time so cleaning could have been better. We were also unfortunate because there was building work going on which made it quite noisy in the morning. The toilet also smelled but this was probably only our room. Another bad point was that the 'double' room was actually two single beds but you can put them together no problem.We really liked the communal area with the tv, computers, games and table tennis and in general it really was good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The reception staff was friendly and helpful. There’s are several Internet PCs available for guests in the recreation room though free wifi is also available.

The triple room we stayed reminds me of a typical college dorm room. The room’s mini fridge was useful. Btw, Room payment is only in cash.
The toilet & shower facilities needs improvement; The space is too cramp and old.
There are no TVs in the rooms though there’s a screen projector in the recreation room where they show “Avatar” during most of our stay.

I like the proximity to Westbanhof as well as the tram stations on the biggest shopping street, Mariahilf, though it is quite some walk; be physically fit for a long walk :-)

Overall, the service was Ok.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Great location, affordable, clean, free wi-fi, staff is very friendly. Few minutes by foot from the shopping center. Best vacation ever!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple