“Amazing”

Hotel Altstadt Vienna
Ranked #6 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I fell in Love with the hotel. Super charming boutique hotel with a nice atmosphere. We stayed in a suite, which felt like home, we even got attached to it. The bed is very comfortable , the room is clean.I loved the breakfast, too many choices , even healthy choices. The service was amazing, super friendly staff, very helpful. Michelle,a very sweet girl, hosted us and helped my husband to plan my birthday surprise stay in Vienna. She even sent me a card with a nice gift to our room.
I highly recommend this boutique hotel for a nice experience stay in Vienna.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,592)

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We have stayed at the Altstadt three times as tourists and have had a wonderful time on each occasion. The Altstadt is boutique hotel with a charming character that's located in an interesting artsy district (Spittelberg), just behind the MuseumsQuartier. It's conveniently located, but a little out of the touristy central core. The staff is friendly, enthusiastically helpful, and very professional. The rooms are pretty spacious and well furnished, as are the bathrooms. The Altstadt doesn't have a restaurant, but it does serve a very nice breakfast and serves tea in the afternoon and drinks and light snacks in the evening. We love the place and the people. It's a find!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roamer100
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This very special hotel is part of an apartment complex in the heart of Vienna.
Stayed in a wonderful suite, spread on 3 different spaces.
Very clean and spacious. Traditional décor. Great value for money.
Rich breakfast. Beautiful dining area.
Definitely worth a return visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oren t
Reviewed March 10, 2014

After reviewing the hotel website, I decided to pay more and book the Matteo Thun Design room. I like the size (the photos stated Double Rooms not Suites) and decor and hope as a SLH Club member, I will get a nice room. Unfortunately, the room I got (room #1) is way smaller than I expected and other than the bed, the lady painting and wallpaper, the chic factor I saw on the photos from the hotel website was simply not there. To be fair, it is a nice room still. The location is good and the staff are friendly. Some are more helpful than the others but overall cannot explain. The art elements in the hotel building are strong but somehow other than the breakfast room, it is scattered and the whole set-up is kind of "cold" and not cozy. It is very hard to describe - but basically it is nice but not good enough to meet 100% of my expectation. I chose this hotel Design room over the other Small Luxury Hotel property this time but will try the other SLH property next time. Hope I will find my perfect Vienna hotel soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Altstadt, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Hotel Altstadt Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Sheepo,

thank you very much for your stay at the Altstadt Vienna and for taking the time to provide us with your feedback concerning your experience in our house.

Unfortunate to hear that the Altstadt Vienna didn’t meet all your expectations a 100%.

What can we say? We know that architecture and artwork are always a matter of taste.

With a room size of approx. 25 square metres our "Matteo Thun Design Rooms", designed by the famous Italien star architect Matteo Thun, do not differ from the Classic category concerning the room size but especially by their exclusive and extravagant interior. Each of them offers a fresh, modern interpretation of the turn of the 19th to the 20th century that brings back the flair and celebrates this epoch's lifestyle. Maybe another room category would be more of your style?

Our guests mostly appreciate to explore not only the art collection of the owner that spreads all over the building, but also the different colorful styles of each and every hallway.

When it comes to our staff we're very delighted to hear, that you found our team friendly.
Our young staff, just as at ease in the hotel as the guests themselves, is always looking to share some of their own happiness through a carefree smile and everyone is doing their best to be there for our guests around the clock. We do appreciate different personalities in our team - if one or the other person might not have been as helpful as another, we will communicate your concerns immediately to our team.

We are most thankful for your comments on your stay and wish you luck in finding the perfect hotel in Vienna for you!

All the best,

the Altstadt Vienna Team

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I have just returned from a four night stay at Hotel Altstadt - it is a lovely boutique hotel in a great location - about 5 minutes walk from the U-Bahn. As others have said, don't be alarmed by the appearance of the street and front of the hotel - the hotel has suites and rooms within a building shared with permanent residents. We had a Junior Suite located at the rear of the building - although the view was nothing special, our suite was very quiet and comfortable.

The hotel provide a lovely buffet breakfast and even a glass of prosecco to start your day - you can order eggs cooked to your preference and we found on our last day that you can have fried ham and eggs if you desire.

From 4 pm until 6 pm the hotel offers complimentary tea and cake in their very comfortable and relaxing bar area - very welcome after a day of sightseeing!

All of the staff are very helpful and accommodating and we received a very warm welcome upon our arrival.

Communication prior to our visit was excellent. The hotel also provided a cake on my partner's birthday as they were aware that we were celebrating my partner's 50th birthday - it was a lovely, thoughtful surprise.

Apparently, there is a lot of artwork displayed at the hotel, however, we were only able to see the art displayed in the breakfast rooms, lift foyer and our corridor so this was slightly disappointing as it would have been interesting to see the various pieces displayed.

Another slight niggle was that although a coffee machine is provided in the Junior Suites, only four complimentary espresso pods are provided for the duration of your stay - although you could apparently purchase more if required - it seems a little odd to supply a complimentary machine and limit the supply of coffee pods.

In summary, this is a quirky boutique hotel in a great location. All of the staff we encountered were very helpful and accommodating. A great place to stay!!

1  Thank Wadgie7
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I was at the hotel on a city break.
When I arrived, I was greeted by very helpful receptionist. I have to admit being disappointed when i entered my room. It is a bit dated and the dark red paint with golden ceiling was not the most appealing. Bathroom needs updating. The standard of the room will be that of a 3 star.

However, the lounge area is really cosy and you can sit there by the fire place in the evening. I missed the afternoon cakes which was a real shame.
Breakfast was great!

Location is good too.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Moumin
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I have been travelling to Vienna for 25 years, and have stayed in a wide variety of places, including a half dozen times in this hotel. The Alstadt is in a class by itself. It is stylish / cool while providing old school service you would imagine belonging to a previous age; the location is great, near the Ring and museums; and the rooms, beds and all provide top quality comfort. There are some lovely big hotels in Vienna, but if you want something a bit more personal, a bit more special, this is the place to stay.

One recommendation: Even if your schedule is full, take time for breakfast in the hotel's lovely, bright dining area / lounge.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business