“It's all about the staff!”

Hotel Altstadt Vienna
Ranked #7 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Alstadt for 2 nights and we both loved it! First of all, it was the only hotel in Austria that understood the twin bed concept, the room was huge, and although the bathroom did not have an American-style shower, once we got the hang of it and didn't squirt gallons of water all over the floor, it was just fine. The continental breakfast was delicious, and of course, the highlight of the hotel was the staff - especially Stephanie at the front desk. She couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. The waitstaff was also as friendly and welcoming as they could be! We stayed in 3 more hotels after we left the Hotel Alstadt, and none of the others were nearly as appealing.

Room Tip: Be careful when you choose your room. Another guest told us that their bathroom had glass walls whic...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,592)

Reviewed May 5, 2013

"Your personal residence in Vienna" - this greeting was written by mrs. Hager at the bottom of the confirmation mail we received as we booked the Appesbach Suite for 6 nights at Alststadt Vienna. Well, this is how we felt during our stay. Wonderfully located in the old town where you just walk to the MuseumQuartier, Volkstheater and Hofburg Palace, this hotel features a number of uniquely decorated rooms, it'll definitively make you hard to choose one! As you walk into the hotel you'll see the typical look and feel of a traditional 1900 city apartment house where a large staircase in the middle brings you to the individual apartments and floors. Once you have checked in you'll forget about being in a hotel as you can come and go as if it would be a flat you rented privately - at a bargain price - in Vienna! The suite itself, located on the 4th. floor, is split in two distinct rooms, one living room and the bedroom and opens toward an internal courtyard which ensures for quiet nights. The bathroom was pretty straightforward, but comfortable and provided L'Occitane soaps and amenities. The suite offers a separate small room which acts as a warderobe where you'll find a safebox. The living room featured an Illy expresso machine, TV set with a couple of DVDs free of charge, and in the bedroom we found a collection of Sinatra's CD, which we coul'd resist to play to add a bit of classic romance to our stay. Breakfast is served in the Salon on the first floor (where the reception is located). It features everything you need for a refreshing start in the morning, the service is swift and friendly, but beware: between 09:00 and 10:00 it can get pretty crowded. All in all excellent!. Looking for restaurants in the neighbourhood you can find a couple of interesting addresses around the Spittelberg (which is 10 minutes walk from the hotel). We tried Boheme, LUX and Witwe Bolte among others, they all offer generous portions of very good Austrian kitchen at very reasonable prices. Definitively worth a try is also the Palmenhaus restaurant, located inside the former imperial greenhouse at Burggarten (near Albertina Platz).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sekok
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Having never been to Vienna before I consulted Trip Advisor and, based on the reviews for the Hotel Altstadt, I booked it. Great decision on my part, I miust say!

From the moment I received their initial 'welcome' email to when we left after checking out, the staff, the accommodation and everything else was excellent. The staff very promptly responded to my emails asking for advice and recommendations with very helpful and appropriate replies.

The hotel itself is in a great location with very easy access to transport links, as well as the centre of Vienna.

And the accommodations are wonderful. The rooms are exactly as described and pictured on their website. And the salon is inviting, comfortable and charming. The buffet breakfast is ample and the selection of cakes and breads is too tempting to resist.

A great value, a great location, great staff - a great hotel in a great city.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2013

You walk into this pace and could be forgiven for wondering what you had done. The entrance is off an unremarkable side street into an anonymous hallway with a sign saying recption is up the stairs to the next floor. Reception is actually tiny and if a number of guests arrive at once far too small. The rooms are accessed along long corridors. BUT the eclectic art collection hanging on the walls gives a hint - this place is something special.
The rooms are full of character, and very comforable, too. The reception staff are exceptional and cannot do enough to ensure you make the most of your stay. The included breakfast is excellent. And, most important, the location is outstanding within easy walking distance of most of the sights. All for a very reasonable price. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
altstadtvienna, General Manager at Hotel Altstadt Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Stuart G!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay with us! We are all very happy to hear that you have discovered the Altstadt to be a special place and a house full of character despite your first impression.

As we are planning on remodelling the entrance/reception area early next year it would be a pleasure to welcoming you in the new surroundings some time in the near future again!

Thank you again for your support!

Alexandra & Team

Reviewed April 24, 2013

First off - 4 stars for being a VERY uniquely decorated hotel. My room was the FELIX room (shown in most of their website) and it looks EXACTLY like that. There REALLY is a bathtub right there in the middle of the room on a little pedestal. The colors were good and great bathroom. Closet didn't exist however -- it was just a side of the room with a sheer brown curtain in front of it. Other quirky things were a giant semi-nude picture on ceiling above bed, Tons of expensive art books on library looking shelves, CD/Stereo with an Amy Winehouse CD, and a sink in the bedroom. All very interesting. One thing they do that I don't understand is that even though they had a number of outlets in the room and even one full row of them by the desk, they were almost ALL used except for one by the sink where I had to charge my phone, iPad, camera battery, etc. The set of 3 in a row by the desk all had plugs for items needed -- phone, lamps, TV, etc.
Also -- I would recommend this more for a couple to enjoy. As a single traveler much of the sexy ambiance was lost on me. And it is kind of a far walk to the downtown ring area where most of the things you want to see are.
NOW here is the 5 star part (and 6 if I could give it). I left the hotel, traveled by train towards Salzburg and my cellphone rang on the way. I had left a small case with my passport, spare credit card and some cash in it on my bed when I packed (case matched sheet color, so I missed it). I didn't need passport for train, so didn't notice that. Boy did I freak out when they called. BUT -- they calmed me down, called the Hotel Bristol in Salzburg I was headed for to let them know they had my passport and sent them a fax of it for my check-in, then overnighted the package to the hotel for next morning delivery -- AND THIS WAS ON A SUNDAY Afternoon! They walked it down to Post Office and when I got back from some early Monday sightseeing they had the package for me at the front desk. In it was EVERYTHING I had left in it -- I know I should be trusting of everyone, but it is rare something doesn't get "missing" in this kind of thing. I was floored how wonderful they were. So, Yes - everything you hear about the service is absolutely true. I told so many friends about this who were all surprised they did this for me. I wish all hotels were like that but we all know they are not. I am very lucky I stayed there and cannot recommend it strongly enough.

Room Tip: Check their website and see the unique rooms --- they are exactly like those shown and will make yo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jazzman7777
altstadtvienna, General Manager at Hotel Altstadt Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Jazzman7777!

On behalf of the entire Altstadt Vienna Team I can not thank you enough for your most wonderful and also helpful words! We were all so happy to hear, that everything worked out with the delievery of your passport and spare credit card. Glad to hear we saved your travel life!

I totally agree, that nowadays things can get "missing" therefore it has always been our aim to do honest and fair business, humanity is also a big word for us! Forgive me, if politically not correct, but the world could use a bit more of those characteristics! Your words of appreciation however are simply the best pay off!

Thank you also very much for pointing out the lack of outlets in your room, which has already been resolved by implementing different extension cables.

sunny greetings to beautiful Newport Beach!
Alexandra & Team

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I felt like I had my own apartment in Vienna while staying in the Altstadt. Our suite (Saskia) was enormous with a separate hallway, bathroom and living area. This once grand apartment was furnished with luxury contemporary furnishings. The breakfast was absolutely delicious and negated the need for lunch! The staff were all super efficient and lovely. The guest lounge is beautiful with lots of journals and complementary afternoon tea. Walking distance to centre of Vienna and surrounded by great restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Hotel Altstadt is one of those places where you instantly feel at home - that is: if you like to stay in a historic old building with wooden floors and that 'touch of class' atmosphere to it. They have created a setting of modern touches combined with the old. The bar with its great armchairs is relaxed. Afternoon tea is very Viennese. The staff is very helpful and well informed. We had an amazing room with a nice & comfortable bed (which the aging joints enjoy these days...) All in all an experience we so hope to repeat!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple