“Just don't...”

Ranked #87 of 203 Specialty Lodging in Vienna
Hollywood, Florida
“Just don't...”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hostel facilities are fine. The place is clean and the breakfast is ok. However, I'd rather stay in a dingier hostel without breakfast if the location was better. This hostel is far from absolutely everything. It feels like a hospital or some sort of institution. There is no fun of any kind to be had here, and there were TONS of kids there on school trips---which made sitting in the common area (the only place where it was possible to pick up a wifi signal) absolutely miserable. The staff were also unfriendly, but you'll find that pretty much everyone in Vienna is unfriendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Wanderwoman777
1200vienna, Geschäftsführer at Vienna Brigittenau - Youth Hostel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your comments and the positive feedback to the "hardware" of the hostel. Of course we have to accept your personal opinion that the hostel is "far from everything", in fact it takes 20 minutes by tram to the city center, the shopping and entertainment center "Millenium City" is about 10 minutes walk away and the leisure paradise "Danube Island" is also a 10 - 15 minutes walk. We are a youth hostel and so we have also young guests here, for "finding fun" our guests are responsible themselves, we do not offer an "animation team". We are of course sorry that you found our staff unfriendly, lot of other people find it very friendly and helpful, but sometimes it's just a question of personal expectations, which has been in your case obviously to high, as you judge "pretty much everyone in Vienna" as unfriendly. Best regards from Vienna HI Vienna Brigittenau

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was really impressed with this hostel. It is fantastic value for money. Reception is open 24 hours a day and is staffed by bright and helpful people. There's a secure bicycle store. Three meals are available if you want them, and are considerably cheaper than what I was paying elsewhere. There's free wifi in the public areas which worked well. There's a lift which is handy if you have heavy luggage. The hostel is not close to the centre of the city, but there's a tram stop just outside, and the U-train station is less than 10 minutes' walk away. The hostel is a great pick if you are cycling along the Danube since it is very close to the river, so you don't need to work out how to cycle safely through the city to get there from the river. That said, Vienna is very cycle friendly and there's a great cycle planner online for the whole city. I would definitely stay here again: it met all my needs at a really good price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Minsk, Belarus
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This hostel is located right in the center of the city, not expensive and absolutely comfortable to stay in. The rooms are large, neat and well-equipped for such an attractive price. Most of all I liked the snug lounge that is full of books in different languages, magazines and other entertainments. It's really important i think that it has an Internet connection. All personnel are polite and helpful. Next time I’ll certainly choose this hostel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Let me start by saying I have stayed in A LOT of hostels, so I've not exactly got high expectations. But this place is the worst I have ever stayed in. I just travelled from Budapest, where I stayed in a hostel by the same company Hostelling International. I paid half the price of this place for the same amount of nights. I was greeted by friendly staff, not emotionless robots like here. I was helped without indignation. This hostel is as cold as its exterior. It's a terrible location for the price, the food isn't anything special and if you're an individual traveller like I am, good luck finding company. I made loads of friends in Budapest as the company was the same as me. Yet in this hostel, it's all school trips and people who can't speak a word of English. Good luck getting to sleep before 2am with the screaming school kids who aren't controlled at all.
The facilities are disappointing and frankly, I wish I could have asked for some of my money back. I'm off to Krakow now, I reckon it will be a better hostel there - it's not exactly hard to beat this place.

• Stayed March 2013
1200vienna, Manager at Vienna Brigittenau - Youth Hostel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear guest

We ´re sorry , that you felt disturbed from the other young guests of our hostel but you have to understand, that young school groups also have a right to stay with us. They are always accompanied by teachers, who are responsible for them and if other guests still have problems with them, they can contact our reception, which is open 24 hours, you´ve probably not done. We regret that you found our service expensive, but we think, you need to compare our prices with other hostels in Austria or in West Europe and not with countries in which all prices are half as high as in Western Europe. We are still one of the cheapest hostels in Western Europe. We regret that you didn´t found friends as you expected, but you have to understand we´ve much more languages in Europe than English, our guests are international but it is impossible for us to examine their english skills before they arrive. Please note, that in Europe is good knowledge of English not a condition to be allowed to travel.

We apologize that you did not like our architecture and equipment but you have to accept that taste is a personal thing. Many of our guests seem to bear a better relationship to the modern architecture than you.... and a last thing:

we´re no robots, we really are humans with feelings and emotions and we really love our guests, but sometimes we must keep a small distance to them, because we don´t want to be misanderstood ;)

Best regards from Vienna HI Vienna Brigittenau
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Average hostel.
It is a little bit out of the way, but the trams are very easy to use and right out the front of the hostel too. Though the rooms are very quiet - you don't get a lot of street noise or anything like that. The only noise we got was a choir that was staying there practicing on our floor.
Breakfast is free and decent, but I do not recommend paying the 6 euro for their dinners! They are not nice at all and you can get some really great, CHEAP, local eats that are really close by! (I recommend Kopp Pub).
The rooms were clean and comfortable. Internet connection quite good too.
All the staff were pretty helpful although a couple of them are quite sour and pretty obviously hate their jobs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Spotless youth hostel with a nice price-quality index. The rooms in the youth palace wing are just perfect if you are looking for a place to sleep and to have a shower.

The other part offers older room which should be renewed but they are still okay. Shared facilities are clean.

All you can eat breakfast is a great way to start the day.

The free wifi is not working properly though. They charge a furtune to use the internet on the computers in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Actually i am writing this review quite late; i stayed there for 7 nights in July, 2010. I went to attend a conference in Vienna and one of the conference organizers suggested me this. I booked pretty well in advance; i booked in May, and therefore got one of the best rooms they have. My room was “Category 3: Two bedded room Youth Palace (with attached shower and toilet)". This part of the building was new back then, so my room and bathroom was brand new and quieter than the other rooms. They clean it every day, both the room and bathroom was spotless clean. But some of the other rooms that other people were staying were not good and noisy.

The free breakfast they provided, shouldn't be free, because it was huge. I have stayed in other hostels in some other countries too, but i have never seen so many options for breakfast in any youth hostel. And the food was tasty with good nutritious value. Room rent was very cheap, though it was peak season; one bed was 22.50 Euro at that time. Though there were two beds in my room, I was the only person to stay in that room, and they did not charge me for the other empty bed; paying 22.50 Euro per night for such a big room with attached toilet was really unbelievable.

Only drawback is the location, quite far from the city, but bus and tram stands are located just beside this guesthouse, so going to city everyday is very easy and takes very little time.

Room Tip: Category 3: Two bedded room, Youth Palace.