“Very nice hostel!”

wombats CITY HOSTEL VIENNA "The Base"
Ranked #23 of 196 Specialty Lodging in Vienna
“Very nice hostel!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hostel is nice and clean with clean rooms, good beds and great shower.
Helpful (English speaking) staff and the breakfast buffet was elaborate and very nice.
We were a little unlucky with the other people in the room who woke us up in the middle of night and caused some awkwardness, but that's a risk you take in any hostel I guess.
The location was okay, not excellent, but once you get to know the transportation system it's easy to get around the city.
Overall excellent hostel and I recommend it to anyone who wants to travel to Vienna!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have only stayed in three hostels during my winter travel in December 2012 and you can read the rest from my profile, so take this with a pinch of salt.

1. Location:
a) uh oh... like most visitors to Vienna, you can easily mistake this for the Wombats (The Lounge) which you will come across while walking from the main train station to this Wombats (The Base). I got redirected and yes, it is a bit of a distance if you walked, but I felt that this trumps the other Wombats in terms of the cosiness of its location
b) It is the only big blue building amidst the other neutrally colored buildings so you cannot miss it.

2. Atmosphere:
a) Packed. Lots of people coming in and out everyday. I can clearly see why it is so popular and I will get to that in a minute. Even in Winter. This place is full of people from all over the world. Some who stay here are also families with babies so, take note of that and be considerate
b) The reception was very chill and informative. They did everything in an orderly fashion and answered everything perfectly. Need I say more? Also, free welcoming drink! I thought only resorts do that.
c) Along the way, there are great cheap kebab places. Halal ones too since there are many Turkish immigrants here. You can get halal schnitzel if you want too.
d) Recommended to try Zanoni's ice cream on the way here (Poppy seed) as it is the best flavor!

3. Facilities/Accomodation:
a) I stayed in a 4 bedroom all girls dorm with an attached toilet. I am assuming the bathrooms are all in the room as I found non in the common areas. They were spectacularly clean and were up to hotel standards. That or I was the first to move into the room. Everything worked perfectly and nothing was broken.
b) I loved that they put an individual light for each bed and included a table in the room. The rooms are not cramped at all and were very comfortable. The blankets are rather thin however compared to the other two hostels I stayed at, but the nice heating made up for it.
c) I am not too nitpicky about noise, but it you are light sleeper, bring earplugs! Sometimes, chatter echoes in the corridor, but it didn't happen to often during my stay.
d) Breakfast for EUR 3.80. Unlimited and you can have bread, toast, fruit, yoghurt, etc.. etc... I wish we could have mini omelettes but that means asking for a lot.
e) Conveniences: Toothbrushes, condoms, earplugs, umbrellas, you name it, they have it for purchase at the front desk if you need it.
f) They provide a free useful map that covers all major attractions that you would find on trip advisor anyways. It should be sufficient for a 3.5 day exploration of the city.

Major con: I disliked how the WIFI gets so awful at night when everybody is trying to use it. They only have it in the lounge and they are doing so to encourage interaction and keep things social, but really, maybe invest in better internet speeds as it can be discouraging to use slow internet. Their internet is the slowest I have experienced in any dorm, but I think this is just for peak hours, may be different around 11am-6pm when most people are out.

Room Tip: Higher floors, quieter, further from stairwells are quieter too.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013

It was my first time in a hostel. It was a good experience. Everyone there is near your age, and you can meet new people. The hostel was near to a metro station, some stations close to the centre. I don't know if hostels offer it, but we didn't have soap in room and towels.

• Stayed December 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed December 16, 2012

After a long train ride and too many beers to count I found myself wandering around Vienna lost and frustrated while I searched for a place to stay - self inflicted. I stumbled upon Wombats after seeing the words 'hostel' fly past the tram window. The smiling and helpful faces at the check in counter were refreshingly genuine and efficient and immediately my disposition improved. I was pleasantly surprised by a large, clean room with good facilities. The best part of Wombats was the bar, people went to it, which is normally a good thing for solo travellers. While a little warm due to being in the basement, it was good value for money and a good group of travellers. Great and a professionally run outfit. Would recommend a Wombats in any of the cities they are located. This one is in a handy location for seeing the city and getting to the Danube. If you're there in summer I highly recommend a day on the Danube at one of the beach/summer clubs. The water is crystal clear & atmosphere relaxing and fun.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Was there for 1 night in December 2012. Hostel is on good location. U-bahn is really close. The stuff is friendly and the bar in the basement is great (good music, pool, hand-soccer). The rooms are cosy, enough space (we were in room for 6 person) and the beds are big enough. The whoole atmosphere is nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Budapest
Reviewed November 25, 2012

It was very easy to find this hostel, the location is very good, really close to the Westbahnhof.
Our room was clean, light and cosy. Everyone had individually packed badclothes in plastic bags. It's been a long time that I haven't slept in a bunk bed, but now it was a great opportunity, l liked it very much. :)
We had 4 beds rooms overlooking to the patio. I think in summertime it might be quite noisy, but now we could hear only a little loud music coming from downstairs.
The breakfast lounge is quite friendly, helpful stuff, nice selection of food.
My overall rating is the highest in this catergory. :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Lviv, Ukraine
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Was there for 1 night at late October.
This hostel has good location. In case you're arrived to Vienna by bus and get off at Erdber, you need to get there by U-bahn (metro/subway). It takes 30 mins (11 stops and by foot).

Hos-tel a bit noisy. Atmosphere is nice. Receptionists are helpful. You get free welcome drink while check-in. Wi-Fi Internet connection available on the ground floor only.

Rooms are clean with share bathroom.

It's ok to stay for the night, or two.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo