“Great pizza place (excellent for gluten free too!)”

Pizzeria Scarabocchio
Ranked #80 of 4,551 Restaurants in Vienna
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Josefstadt
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Chose this place through reviews on tripadvisor (thanks, community!). It was a great experience. Waiter was friendly and helpful, I have limited German but he spoke great English and carefully explained what the gluten free options were (lots of choice). Food was delicious, service was good (medium busy on a Wednesday night), atmosphere and decor in the restaurant was good. Gluten free pizza was delicious and my colleague said her pizza (not gluten free) was also good. We had different desserts, both gluten free, both delicious. My friend doesn't normally have gluten free food but announced her tiramisu was really delicious (not in the category of a "gluten free nearly as good as normal food version"). Chef came over to help us choose desserts and was very friendly. Good price. I would recommend this place, both for gluten free and 'normal' food.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I was here for dinner after reading reviews on trip advisor..I expected more than it really was…
Service was slow but friendly, food poor in flavours, wine was warm, and pizza was not crunchy…
Not to be repeated, and still looking for a good italian in Vienna.

3  Thank Alex P
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Recently discovering I must avoid gluten, this restaurant was been a great find...the GF pizza is really good, and the quality of fresh ingredients for the salads is also good. My only complaint is the unfriendly staff and the extremely long service times, even by Viennese standards. That said, the ambiance is nice and given the overall quality of food, I can overlook the minor annoyance.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We chose this restaurant based on the reviews on here and because it was only a short walk from our hotel. After a long day in the Christmas markets we didn't want to venture far and this was ideal. Although we turned up without a reservation at 1930 on a Saturday evening, the owner went out of his way to find us a table within minutes. Service was attentive and quick but we didn't feel rushed at all. The staff all had a smattering of English which helped me (although my wife speaks fluent German!) and were friendly.
The food was excellent although it comes out when it's ready, not when the whole order is together. If you are being picky then this could be an issue. It was only a few minutes between our two dishes and the food was piping hot and very tasty.
Worth noting that for a small charge they can do gluten free pizza and pasta.
Whilst we were there, a couple on the next table ordered fish which the owner brought out and filleted at the table. It was excellent to watch and he didn't let any of the meat go to waste.

Thoroughly recommend this for an evening out.

2  Thank Dunk_R
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Another great tripadvisor find. Romantic, cozy ambiance with friendly and warm staff. I had the pizza tuscana and it was fantastic. If I lived nearby I would be a regular.