“Otto Wagner Kirche”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Otto Wagner Kirche”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

A bit complicated to get there, but I'm glad I took the time and effort to visit the Otto Wagner Kirche.
I visit a lot of churches on my visits, but this is the world's only art deco (Jugenstil) church and the most beautiful church I have ever seen, anywhere.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank IngeborgDB

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Some say this is not a 5 star attraction ....”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Ignore them, they are just wrong (In fact make a note to ignore all other reviews they do). Do not be put off by the fact that this is a church, if that is not your thing - this is a building like no other i have been in - it stuns in a whisper. Plan your trip to Vienna to fit this place in, you can go to other places most times.
Check the openning time, it is very limited - we went on a sunday afternoon via the 48a bus from volkstheatre. Well worth the effort.

6 Thank Whydoineed
Brisbane, Australia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Masterpiece of Secessionist Architecture”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

If you are into Secessionist architecture then this is the place to go. Recently refurbished with enormous care, this Otto Wagner church with its stark white interior and magnificent stained glass windows and mosaics is stunning. Sort of Klimt meets Jesus. St Leopold in his cubist chair on the roof not to be missed. The history of the building and its association with the psychiatric hospital is very moving. East to get to from centre of Vienna. Direct tram (or was it a bus) which stops outside.

Visited April 2013
Evesham, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Not to be missed”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This church is quite extraordinary, and if you should be in Vienna on a Saturday afternoon when it's open to the public, I urge you not to miss it. It is located in the grounds of the Wagner Hospital, a 25-minute bus (or, I suppose, taxi) ride westward out of central Vienna. You then have to walk about half a mile through the hospital grounds and up quite a steep woodland path, which might be difficult for those with limited mobility but shouldn't be a problem for anyone of reasonable fitness. As you walk up you begin to get glimpses of the golden dome of the church, and when you arrive in the clearing at the top of the hill you are faced with one of the absolute jewels of the Austrian Secession, designed by Otto Wagner and built in the early years of the C20th, and now fabulously restored in white, green and gold. The wonderful stained glass windows were designed by Koloman Moser. There is no entrance fee to see inside the church, though obviously they do accept donations.

Visited September 2012
8 Thank JKSDO
London, UK
102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 400 helpful votes
“Somewhat 'Out of Town' But the Setting Just About Makes the Trip Worth It”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I visited Kirche am Steinhof as part of my 5 full-day visit to Vienna and enjoyed it a bit. It was one of the few churches I had planned to visit in the city and after my time in Vienna my limited selection proved justified, as this was one of the few churches really worth devoting any time to as I don't think many are that special.

---

I am compiling an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my visit to see the sights of Vienna (and writing TA reviews for all the places I visited, accessed easiest by selecting the 'See * more reviews by LPWilliams for Vienna' link at the base of this review), it is entitled 'Vienna Attractions, Hotel & Transport : 5 Full-Day Visit Sep 2012'. Please feel free to access it via my TA Profile (by clicking my TA 'name' below the photo on the left of this review). I hope it is of interest and use to you and that all of my individual reviews/photos/videos get posted properly; don't forget that videos aren't posted with the review like photos are, so it's best to locate them via my TA profile....

---

Situated in the north-western part of the city outskirts, on an open space perched atop a large wooded area (populated with deer, 2 of which 'visited' me as I sat outside the church - see my photos !) sitting above a hospital, Kirche am Steinhof is different from the other churches I visited for 2 reasons. Firstly that rural setting means you can get a much better-than-average view of the exterior, which is handy because the 2nd reason is that I found the outside a little more attractive than the inside !

This church also offers a few challenges for any intended visit, since the location is a bit 'isolated' (but by no means impossible to get to, even by pubic transport - see my Trip List for further info), it's at the top of that not-insignificant hill and the opening times for the fee-free visit are a little 'restrictive' (again see my TL for all the info).

The very straight-edged design of the building is formed from 2 mainly white-coloured rectangular sections with twin mini-towers at the front, contrasted with a prominent and colourful dome (green and gold) on top of the dominant main section. There are a number of attractive decorative embellishments, mainly in the form of gold-coloured crucifixes and crests.

In contrast, I found the interior to be less impressive but still nonetheless not exactly ugly. White overall, again with mainly gold decorative features, there is little relief to the interior surfaces making the space feel as big as it looks and a bit 'clinical'/cold. The altar (with prominent artwork backdrop) and pulpit were OK to look at, with the ceiling being perhaps the most attractive feature as the 'tiled' structure/appearance is accentuated by all the joint-lines being picked-out in gold.

I will append a video sequence to the attraction webpage and add a few of my own photos to this review once it's been posted.

If you enjoy looking at churches then Kirche am Steinhof offers a variation since it is not only in an unusual and pleasant setting, but by virtue of it's location you can see more of the exterior - which in this case is ideal, as in my opinion the outside is a little more impressive than the inside and with the restrictive opening times you may well be there when it's not possible to go inside anyway ! A few hourly-brackets allow you to visit inside for free so, like the other churches I visited, the fact that some Vienna churches are almost ugly in comparison BUT charge an entrance fee means visiting this one is a little more worthwhile than most, despite it requiring a bit more effort to get to.

Visited September 2012