“Beautiful! Worth a stop”
Review of Augustinerkirche

$290.00*
Private Half-Day History Walking Tour in Vienna: The City of Many Pasts
Ranked #42 of 587 things to do in Vienna
Reviewed April 14, 2013

From the outside, you wouldn't know there was anything special inside, but it is so beautiful! Interesting momument to Maria Christina (?) and also storage of the royal families hearts... definitely stop in

1  Thank MerWineland
There are newer reviews for Augustinerkirche

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Attended a wonderful sung Haydn high mass. Amazing orchestra,soprano and organ music. Arrived there at 10.45, 15 minutes early. and we were lucky to get seats..The music was of the highest quality. Just remember to dress warm because the church is very cold.

3  Thank MRN2000
Reviewed April 8, 2013

whenever you are in Vienna or nearby dont miss their sun-holydayservices at 11am

you have to be there 20-3ß minutes before to get a seat

since the concerts are free the expect a contribution 5-10 Euros afterwards but believe me its worth more

you can see their program on the web-kirchenkonzert.at

3  Thank gerdt_13
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This understated cathedral was our target for Christmas Midnight Mass during our visit because it is rather plain and has a reputation for the best music of all the local cathedrals, and visiting from the U.S., we were looking for an old-fashioned Christmas experience as opposed to the WalMart-and-Giant-Frosty-the-Snowman-inflatables that has unfortunately come to mean Christmas at home. St. Augie's itself was a very nice experience. Yes, be prepared for it to be very cold....the churches are not heated, and it is respectful for men to remove their hats, so do bundle up the best you can in the winter, as it is see-your-breath cold. It was crowded, and though we arrived a good half-hour early, we were still only able to get seats on the side with no real view of the altar. The music was indeed very nice. The only thing that disappointed us was some of the people were disrespectful. People seemed to be walking in and out at all times throughout the Mass....ladies in luxurious full-length furs coming in late, staying for 10 minutes, and leaving. On the other side of the aisle from us, a teenage girl was texting through the entire Mass...and her mother sat right next to her, allowing it! These things just seemed inappropriate to me, and really put a damper on the glory of the evening. I guess people are basically the same everywhere. Maybe I was expecting too much, but it's Christmas, for Pete's sake, have a little respect! Put down your phone for an hour!! Put in your time, don't just stay for ten minutes and leave! Sorry, I was not brought up this way. The church itself did not disappoint, but sorry to say, some of the people did.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

The Augustinekirche is easy to miss. It has a small entrance within the Hofburg Palace complex, next to the side entrance of the National library.
As with other Catholic churches in Vienna, this church is uncomfortably cold. (Heating and Catholic churches just don't go together). I did not remove my coat or my gloves. Otherwise, I would have frozen to death. The chandeliers were exquisite and the interiors themselves (pipe organ included) were beautiful. Therefore it is easy to see why royal / imperial weddings were held here. The pews are intricate, old, slightly uncomfortable wooden pews that one can't help but appreciate.
I attended the 11 am Sunday mass. This is in German so I did not understand most of it, but Catholic masses are fairly standard so it is not difficult to keep up. The upliftment did not come from the mass. It came from the wonderful music that their choir provided. It was not a children's choir. This was mature, elegant voices. If only for that, the freezing hour that I spent there was soooo worth it. Heavenly voices definitely...

1  Thank purplepinay