“Beware of the Tourist Trap.”
Review of Musikverein

Musikverein
Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
$119.86*
and up
Vienna Mozart Evening: Gourmet Dinner and Concert...
$449.46*
Private Guided Tour of Musical Vienna
$374.55*
Private Vienna Half-Day Small-Group Tour: City Landmarks and Highlights
Ranked #44 of 610 things to do in Vienna
Reviewed March 7, 2014

If you are a serious music lover and aspire to hear great music at one of the World's most famous and beautiful concert halls a bit of common sense is in order. The Musikverein is of course home to the Vienna Philharmonic and also hosts concerts by major visiting orchestras from other parts of Europe and U.S. etc. (Chicago S.O./London S.O./Bavarian R.S.O. for example) These tickets are always in great demand and not easy to obtain though if you are lucky enough to be staying at one of the city's top hotels your concierge might be able to oblige. If you get offered tickets by one of the many "period" dressed people in the street then it will be a strictly" tourist affair", which in effect means, nothing close to the standards of the VPO or other major orchestras and a programme of Mozart's "Greatest Hits" or similar ilk. Be prepared for annoying audience antics at these events. These concerts mostly take place "out of season" meaning during the Summer months and around Christmas when the major orchestras are taking a break. If you don't want to pay for a concert you can tour the hall at various times, well worth while as it's such a fantastic building.

1  Thank rc51

Reviewed February 23, 2014

A stunning building, the Musiekverein houses the stupendous Goldener Saal, a classic European concert hall, with paintings, statues and interior, splendidly decorated in gold. The accoustics were superb. The Vienna Philharmonic were not playing the week we were in Vienna, but we heard the Mozart Orchestra. It was a great concert and wonderful to have the experience of sitting at a concert at that hall. It was a total experience - just sublime

2  Thank Deena63
Reviewed January 24, 2014

A palace,with very good concert group,they play some very famous and interesting pieces of classical.I am not a classical music lover,but I like all of the playing here.Any way Vienna is music capital of the world and its impossible to come here and avoid to listen to a concert.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

The lovely golden hall is a splendor : the architecture, the paintings, the statues are amazing. The acustic is great. Listening here to the music is like heaven. The most fulfilling experience we had in Vienna. But - you have to find tickets long before the show.

2  Thank bea2504
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

I buy a ticket from my hotel and it was good price for the concert in this place, as I pay 59 euro for the seat price of 89 euro, and still get one CD value 15 euro for free. The building and room decor inside are amazing, i really impress with the interior design and its glory. Many tourist comes with their big group (different with me, be a solo tourist after both of my colleague left me alone in Vienna for their Italian exploration). A bit touristic euphoria in this autumn make the concert did not feel as totally Austrian classical concert ambient. However, the concert itself was fabulous. My bad luck at that night, I seat behind a very tall lady and a very big man that totally covering my direct view to stage. It was a nightmare, as I need to move my head to my left or right always to enable having a view of all players on the stage. Really annoying and disturbing my moment to enjoy the best performance. Be sure of your seat, then it will end to your luck who will seat direct in front of you. The seats row setting in front of the stage just flat. Overall, I really impress with the concert and for sure every time in Vienna, I will see it again.

2  Thank ElsaMuninggar_Echa