“I just love this place”
Review of Cafe Merkur

Cafe Merkur
Ranked #1,685 of 4,443 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Josefstadt
Description: Restaurant Merkur in the heart of the 8th district of Vienna ( Josefstadt ) is a culinary oasis and a place for all those looking for a break from the stresses of everyday life . We offer numerous breakfast and dining variations for a stunning good price . Let yourself be convinced by the quality of our food and visit us. We have made it our mission to offer you a diverse and delicious cuisine with dishes from around the world . In addition, we want to pamper you with our superb coffees, homemade cocktails and much more . We want to offer a restaurant to all connoisseurs of all ages, where you can feel comfortable and relax. Our cozy rooms invite you to relax and unwind. Meet up with friends for a boisterous lunch, brunch with you with your better half or enjoy our coffees on your own.
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have been to Cafe Merkur many times over the years and have developed a genuine fondness for the place.. I love it for many reasons, some objective and some totally subjective. It is just a fine place for breakfast, lunch or dinner with many of the special features that make a Viennese cafe a Viennese cafe (splendid coffee, good pastry, newspapers to read, the elegant Austrian sense of time and style), but unlike many it is free from any sense of stuffiness, empty formality, pretense. When I am in Vienna one of my first stops is always to the Merkur for a glass of beer and a casual supper.

It's often full of young people and older folks and families, not a tourist joint at all. Truly affordable and just a great place to be. If you find yourself in Josefstadt wander over to the Merkur. You will enjoy it

4  Thank BK1822

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Having spent a short time in vienna for a break and because it was convenient to our hotel my wife and I decided to have a meal in CAFE MERKUR.
We found the service and food very good and excellent value for money and would recommend this café to anyone wanting a nice meal without breaking the bank.

1  Thank raysteel1
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This cafe is really good value!! I got a breakfast for 4 euros and 20 cents and it was nice!! Plus you got a half price drink to go with your breakfast. There is a smoking and non smoking area. The waitress was a bit moody and slow, but apart from that I will go back.

1  Thank charlie&rich
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This cafe was just down the road from where we were staying. It had a lovely atmosphere especially on a rainy day. I had an English Breakfast, which was served in a little frying pan with bread. It was delicious. The coffee was good too. On a second visit we had Spaghetti Bolognaise which was delicious and a decent serving. This cafe felt like a local suburban cafe and well worth a visit if you're in Vienna.

1  Thank Helen290111
Reviewed October 8, 2012

As the first reviewer I want to point out that Cafe Merkur is NOT in Gerasdorf but in Vienna itself!
I spent in this cafe probably half of my life in Vienna. It's a place to drink coffee, beer, eat, meet friends (old or new), chat, relax, read the newspaper, study, kill time, have a blast...basically for everything! If you want to experience the true spirit of a Viennese Kaffeehaus without spending lots of money, visit Cafe Merkur. Try being there for breakfast, the Oriental one is a favourite!