“One of my favorite museums”
Review of Albertina

Vienna Supreme Concerts at Albertina Museum
Ranked #8 of 708 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Situated in the very heart of Vienna's City center, the Albertina houses one of the most important art collections of the world. Founded in 1776, the Museum today owns masterpieces by Da Vinci, Raphael, Michelangelo, Duerer, Rembrandt etc. These collections are presented in temporary exhibitions. The Batliner Collection "From Monet to Picasso" is permanentely on display and shows the most important works by artists from the age of modernism. The Habsburg Historic Staterooms of the Albertina give an air of Imperial glamour.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is one of my favorite museums in Europe. They have great collections and always something new going on. The restaurant is a nice place to charge energy after the visit

Write a ReviewReviews (4,840)
All reviews
in 24 reviews
"worth a visit"
in 80 reviews

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Visited the Max Ernst collection and then the Impressionists. Great collections that frequently change. Great shop if looking for art gifts.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

If you like ernsts work, visit this museum. There was plenty on offer. The musuem is easy to find and is walking distance from the cathedral.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I visited the Albertina museum as part of my 5 full-day visit to Vienna; it was one of 3 'art' museums I went to. Unlike the superb Kunsthistorisches Museum, I didn't find much of interest here but it was at least more than at the lamentable Belvedere Palace...

---

I am compiling an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my visit to see the sights of Vienna (and writing TA reviews for all the places I visited, accessed easiest by selecting the 'See * more reviews by LPWilliams for Vienna' link at the base of this review), it is entitled 'Vienna Attractions, Hotel & Transport : 5 Full-Day Visit Sep 2012'. Please feel free to access it via my TA Profile (by clicking my TA 'name' below the photo on the left of this review). I hope it is of interest and use to you and that all of my individual reviews/photos/videos get posted properly; don't forget that videos aren't posted with the review like photos are, so it's best to locate them via my TA profile....

---

Situated on the raised triangular island formed by the very acute junction of 2 roads almost slap-bang in the middle of the historic centre, the Albertina museum has a small frontage but extends back quite some distance and occupies several floors.of the unusually-shaped building. The outside might be often bustling with people, but for the 'compressed' historic centre there is a rare opportunity to have a sit down on benches and soak up a bit of Vienna atmosphere - enhanced by your being quite a bit above ground-level.....

Once inside the quite small vestibule houses the entrance desk and a gift shop, which also serves as the internal museum exit meaning you are compelled to have a 'shopping experience' whether you want it or not; downstairs are the WC and useful (coin deposit-only) lockers.

From reading other TA reviews it would appear that I'm not the only person to have experienced significant section 'closures' which, for me, were at least advertised. However, the staff did prove a little stubborn to eventually find out for me when I could visit and actually get to see everything on offer; my tip is to check with 2 different members of staff to 'error-check', so that if (like me) you abort your visit for another day/time when everything will be open you have a better chance of the information being correct - and all will definitely be open and available for viewing ! Their website also exhibits incompetence, since at the time of writing when you click the large 'Museum' photo-link it takes you to a computer-code 'failure' page....

Having said that, with hindsight I needn't have bothered to be so careful since even when I did finally see everything, unfortunately little of it actually interested me ! Aside from the amusement of trying to find the Albrecht Dürer painting of the hare used so much to advertise the museum (which turned out to be the only painting which interested me in any way), I did enjoy the 'Emperor Maximilian I and the Age of Dürer' (him again) temporary exhibition on the large 'basement' floor, which was much more to my taste - especially as it was not just paintings. The viewable apartments section was also a bit disappointing...

So if you, like me, find the permanent collection a bit of a disappoint there is the opportunity that one of more of the temporary exhibitions might make your visit partially worthwhile....

For me, the Albertina museum flattered to deceive - despite a large collection of art I found little of interest. When combined with the casual interest in customer satisfaction courtesy of frequent section closures, which can also be difficult to find out about beforehand, it does mean that this museum was low on my 'enjoyment' scale. My tip is to save your time and money and instead allocate it to visiting the much, MUCH, more impressive Kunsthistorisches Museum which also has a wider variety of collections.