“French Cuisine in Wien! ”
Review of Beaulieu

Beaulieu
Ranked #123 of 4,308 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

This charming French restaurant is located in the passage way corroded behind cafe central. The menu boasts traditional but exquisite French dishes with a very accommodating and friendly staff (especially to tourists!). This seems to be a local favorite but it was easy to get a table when you arrive for an early dinner. Don't forget to try the macrons!

There are newer reviews for Beaulieu

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Located in a lovely passageway and serves excellent coffee and a wide selection of cheeses and delicious snacks and sandwiches.
The service is what you expect from a french cafe, but as we went day by day the service was better.
One of the best options to go to in the morning.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I was excited to eat at Beaulieu during my short stay in Vienna after having read several positive reviews on this site; I made it a point to go there. When I arrived, no one on staff acknowledged me, though they were looking at me out of the corners of their eyes. So I seated myself. After I intentionally made eye contact with the girl bussing tables, she sighed and motioned to one of the male servers, who rather carelessly placed a menu on my table. He was slow to return for my order, but when he did, he made a good wine recommendation and said the French soup was good to start. I ordered those as well as a baguette. After yet more waiting (I actually saw people who arrived well after me get waited on and even served after I had placed my order but not received my meal), I received my wine and soup, both of which were delicious. The soup was actually reviving, as I was quite hungry and ridden with a sore throat.

After that, however, my baguette simply did not show up. I saw my server chatting away in French (which, yes, I do understand) with other clientele. How long can it possibly take for a sandwich to be made? Well, I was waiting there more than hour for the baguette alone. I browsed the goods in the epicerie portion of the establishment, and while a good number of them appeared interesting, I was no longer interested in spending any more of my euros here. I finally flagged down my server; on looking at me directly, he remembered I had ordered a baguette, but not which one. I stood up then and was nearly as tall as him. Looking him in the eye, I told him that at this point I was tired and had lost my appetite--could I please have the baguette prepared for takeaway? At this, he smiled and seemed to have suddenly found some respect for me. "Of course," he said, and then--finally--it was not much longer until my sandwich was ready for me to carry back to the hotel.

Some part of me suspects that the staff was baffled at the sight of a solo woman diner of ambiguous ethnic heritage. I could be mistaken, and I guess I'll never know. I was willing to spend plenty of money, and I tip well. This was an unfortunate experience that put a damper on my weekend in Vienna.

4  Thank MEtheChitownWriter
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We this cafe based on TripAdvisor revues and were not disappointed. It was only a block from our hotel and easy to find in a small passageway. We had a very nice meal and sampled a delightful French Rose for a reasonable price. We actually came back again as the menu is varied but small meals mainly which is what we wanted. They also have a small variety of pastries to take away and you can also buy wine from France which I thought was quite reasonably priced. Its a great place to buy sandwiches, pastry etc for a picnic at the Schonbrunn!

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We ate here twice. I had two vegetarian dishes - soup and ratatouille. The soup was extremely bland and rather thin, but the ratatouille was good.