“Lovely hotel and Wonderful Staff”
Review of Hotel Urania

Hotel Urania
Ranked #38 of 113 Vienna B&B and Inns
boston
“Lovely hotel and Wonderful Staff”
Reviewed April 25, 2010

Stayed at this hotel last week and greatly enjoyed the beautiful foyer, helpful staff, gorgeous room, and delicious breakfast! As well, the hotel is only a few blocks from popular sites, but is located in a quiet neighborhood near the river! Would love to stay here again and would reccommend it to anyone visiting Vienna!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank willtravelforpizza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed February 17, 2010

Nice hotel, great rooms and deco, friendly owner with small and funny dogs

Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MonicaBratucu
New York, NY
Reviewed September 30, 2009

At best, lodging here is like staying with your batty, old Austrian grandmother. Though I am generally inclined to like such quirky places, it was the hotel's unacceptable hygiene and extortionary rates (which a local said were available by the hour) that drove us to find alternative lodgings for the remainder of our stay in Vienna. My first ten minutes there provide a glimpse into our whole experience: checking in shortly after my boyfriend had arrived from New York, I found the worn rococo decor and elegant staircase breathtaking, but quickly came to regret taking that breath as I was overwhelmed by the smell of cigarette smoke. The owner at the desk was curt and irritable, and when I asked for help lugging my heavy suitcase up two long flights of stairs, he rolled his eyes and suggested that I go upstairs and get the "mister" to help me. The small room was reasonably clean and comfortable, but realizing there was no internet in the room, I went back downstairs to check my email in the dining room. Though the tables had all been cleared and reset, the tablecloths were covered with spots and crumbs, and flies buzzed around two dirty pots that were sitting on a marble buffet. Shortly after I sat down, a mangy old dog piddled on the carpet, which I brought to the owner's attention in exchange for the same exasperation I encountered when I asked for help with my bags. The breakfast spread was below average, though the staff was cordial enough. The last straw for us was when a friendly local tour guide-in-training raised his eyebrows when he heard where we were staying, gently breaking it to us that the hotel had a reputation for its hourly rates. Being good-humored and thick-skinned, we will look back on our brief stay at the Hotel Urania with laughter. But with so many decent, affordable, and well-located options in the city, steer clear of this hotel and make plans to stay with your own eccentric grandmother at no cost.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank HappyWandererNYC

Travelers are raving about these Vienna hotels

Copenhagen
Reviewed June 26, 2009

Was here 3 years ago with clients. I booked the hotel because of a very fair price and for being very close to transportation and only few minutes to the city centre. The hotel is unique with all different rooms. You could say it is "over the top" but my clients loved it and so did my family that was with me. The manager of the hotel might seem a little reserved, but after a few talks he turns out to be a very pleasant person. The day of departure he even invited my family to join his private lunch.
This time back in Vienna with different clients I had no hesitation to book Urania again. And again they got impressed about what was offered at this price.
After recommendations from the Manager I have also during both trips invited my clients to dinner in the restaurant just across the road. This is also truly unique in its decoration and the food is exceptional, but still at a very fair price.
So far I have stayed in a couple of hundred different hotels all over the world. many nice but only actually 2 hotels has mad a very positive and permanent impression. The Palace at Sun City in South Africa and Hotel Urania in Vienna. First one was 8x the price of Hotel Urania!
If you enjoy to experience while travelling then you have to choose this hotel at some time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Allanzkjaer
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Found this hotel in the Lonely Planet Central Europe Guide under Mid-range hotels in Vienna. Communication was excellent when initially making the reservation and the description of the hotel was quite appealing. However, when we got there the owner/manager was not at all friendly and did not honor the price quotes given in the e-mail, besides chain smoking in the breakfast room. The beds were hard, hard, hard, and the breakfast buffet was very poor and minimal in comparison to all the other offerings in other like-priced hotels. There are lots of other, better choices in Vienna.

• Liked — Had an eclectic decor
  • Disliked — Unhonorable and horribly uncomfortable
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank BigD53
Washington, DC
Reviewed December 7, 2007

We stayed at Hotel Urania for 2 nights in October. This is a very "interesting" place, but we did enjoy it! You can't miss the hotel, it's vibrant colors stick out. Well maintained building, with lots of green plants at the entrance.

Our room was HUGE, and apparently all rooms display a different 'theme'. We stayed in a medieval themed room, that had bear skins on the floor and flails hanging from the ceiling. It may sound scary, but it was actually quite interesting to stay here. The spacious room and decor created a bit of a 'cold' feeling, but I think other rooms may be more cozy. Only true complaint here is that there was no shower curtain on the shower so we soaked the bathroom floor each time we showered.

The front desk staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The location was good - just a quick 10 minute walk to Schwedenplatz subway station. If you wanted, you could certainly walk to the city center and to most places in central Vienna.

We like to try out new places when we travel so would probably try to book elsewhere on a future visit, but with that said we would have no problem staying here again though! Enjoy the Hotel Urania!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple