“Much better than suggested” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Pension Franz

Hotel Pension Franz
Ranked #313 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
Stockholm, Sweden
“Much better than suggested”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2005

I actually fell in love with this hotel. It has a very old feeling to it, in a positive way. First of all the location is perfect. There's a tram stop right outside the hotel entrance where 5 tram lines stop. The Schottentor U-bahn and tramlines is one tram stop or 5 minutes walk away.

I didn't know what to expect having read some of the reviews here but I was pleasantly surpriced. We arrived at 11 o'clock in the morning and were allowed to check-in early. When I requested a room with a view of the Votivkirche I was given one. The carpet in our room was NEW!! The bed was nice, the bathroom was very clean and not smelly as suggested in other reviews. The room had a small TV and a refridgerator in it. The cleaning was impeccable and the staff was very friendly.

The free breakfast included different fresh breads, ham, salami, cheese, boiled eggs, corn flakes, juice and yoghurt and tasted great.

I find it very interesting that the person from Brisbane, Australia was so disappointed with the hotel as we stayed in the hotel at the same time.

On the down side the small wall next to the bathroom had a big damp stain on it which was covered by a piece of a cardboard box.

This is a cosy pension, not a luxury hotel. If you keep that in mind you will not be disappointed. For the €60 a night that we paid for our doubleroom this pension was quite a bargain.

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank Komsomol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2005

This hotel is in a great location but after this highlight it is all down hill. What was said in the previous review was absolutely spot on - the carpets were filthy, there were bugs in the bathroom and there was some wierd door above the actual doorway into the room which was slightly open and a bit creepy.

The staff were neither friendly nor helpful when we tried to complain about my friends room. Her bathroom had a very unpleasant smell and we tried to get them to move her but we received no assistance or price reduction.

I would never stay here again. The location did not make up for the filthy conditions. Traveller beware!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2005

The Hotel Pension Franz is located perfectly. It's a two minute walk from the Schottentor U-bahn and from the trams that traverse the Ring around the Innerstadt.

Up five flights of stairs from Waehringer Strasse, the lobby of the Hotel Pension Franz looks very much like the pictures on its website - only grubbier.

The hotel is old and the common areas are beautifully decorated with some amazing antiques.

We saw two rooms because the first room had no door on the shower room - an impossibility with an 11-year-old son. Due to the age of the building toilets and showers must be a fairly recent addition. The room we settled on has a shower(very bad)& toilet in one room and the sink in the other.

Both rooms we saw have tall, beautifully draped, sound-proofed bay windows, overlooking Waehringer Strasse and the Votive Kirche, which in my opinion is more striking than the Dom. When the lights are out at night and the street lights are coming through then you can pretend you are staying in a really glamourous room. The rooms have a central chandelier. They also have big original paintings on the walls; a theme that follows throughout the hotel. The oil paintings in the breakfast room are truly massive.

The rooms we saw are furnished in a blonde IKEA-type of hotel furniture. The wall-to wall carpets are in desperate need of a steam cleaning. Although the carpet in the room we settled on was somewhat cleaner, I still wished I'd brought my flip-flops. Both rooms had strange overhead cupboards over the door. They are an original feature of the room and I think they were meant to be kept shut but they contain dusty old lamps & bedding which I felt was kind of creepy.

Breakfast is served in a beautiful room and consists of cereals, fruit salad, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, meats, a variety of breads and huge array of condiments.

Some rooms in the hotel appear to be very close to the commons areas. Some open right into the breakfast room.

At first the carpets and the strangeness of the toilet facilities depressed me very much after 18 hours en route. I can sympathize with the reviewer before me who left. But the hotel's main rooms are loaded with atmosphere. The Hotel Pension Franz is good value for it's location.

If they do get new carpeting I might consider staying there again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank thecleverpup
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2005

Lovely old hotel with lots of charm - convenient location. we walked everywhere but also close to the trams and on a quiet street. The room was really lovely, we had a great view of the Votiv Chruch from our window. There was no negative feedback at all. The staff was helpful and friendly with directions and served a very nice breakfast.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2005

Upon arrival, and once we found out how to get to the lobby up on the second or third floor, we were ignored by the desk staff while they appeared to continue surfing the internet. When finally shown our rooms (we had booked two, for two nights) we found them to be absolutely unacceptable. Most noticeable was the condition of the carpets which were threadbare and filthy. The rooms were shabby and did not appear to be very clean. We immediately told the staff that we would not be staying with them. When I mentioned the carpets I was told, as if it might change my mind, that they would be getting new carpets in a couple of weeks. They also offered me better pricing and different rooms. We declined both. As we descended the old creaky lobby stairs my associate fell and although not hurt, no one from the hotel even inquired if he might be hurt or if he was OK. They showed no concern whatsoever although the desk clerk clearly witnessed the fall. Becasue we had booked the rooms through an internet hotel website we were required to pay for the two rooms, for one night, which we thought a small price to pay to not stay in this very substandard hotel. What I learned from this is if you want decent accommodations in a big city, then expect to pay big city prices. Cheap hotel prices usually mean questionable quality.

• Stayed September 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2004

3 of us stayed in 2 rooms, both were very small and not very smart. The entrance from the street is not welcoming, and caused us to wonder what we were in for, but the hotel itself is rich in colourful fabrics antique furniture and squeeky floorboards! It is close to the centre and metro, the staff were helpful and the spread at breakfast (cold) was sufficient. 45 Euros per night per person for a double is a good price for Vienna.

• Stayed September 2004
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2004

This hotel is average. It is not the worst, nor the best hotel in Vienna. It is convenient to the transit system.

Good: It is relatively close the centre where the main tourist attractions are. It is a good cheap hotel, if you are on a shoestring budget. Friendly staff. Breakfast is not bad. The people you meet in the Hotel are nice - normal everyday folks.

Bad: No real ammenities. No Internet. Internet Cafe is four blocks away and not open late. No laundry facilities. No dry cleaning, 2 blocks away. For the amount that you pay, you are getting what you pay for.