“Close, but I'm going to say no”
Review of Schweizer Pension

and 1 more site!
Schweizer Pension
Ranked #13 of 118 Vienna B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Large room, very clean, small bath. Great looking floors until you got up in the night and they squeaked and cracked like crazy. It was noisy. Street noise but especially noise from the shared baths that were near our door. I woke up every night I was there, a couple of time.

The "no" is coming from the sewer smell that came from our bathroom. There was very strange plumbing in our bath. I know plumbing and without going into graphic detail, it was unusual. Obviously it was plumbed later, probably fairly recently, but a toilet flush set off the small electric sewage ejector that gurgled in the sink and shower. Obviously (at least to me) not vented correctly (sorry about all the detail) but it smelled. Not overpowering but it smelled, all the time.

A lot of rules, too. Don't do this, don't do that, all ending in an exclamation mark!

The location was great, the price was a little high, I thought. Without the sewer smell and noise from the other guests, I'd up it a star and say yes. Maybe try another room other than number 7.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zigzagg

Reviewed June 14, 2009

We had a lovely stay at the Scweizer Pension in June 2009. We had a double room with bathroom. The room itself was huge, with lovely features, including a ceramic stove/heather and wooden floor. The whole pension was immaculate.

Breakfast was good - bread, ham, cheese and egg/tomato, with options of cereal, museli etc.

We felt the pension was very good value for such a central location. We certainly were made to feel very welcome.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2008

We found this place in Lonely Planet, with location being the key advantage, and it was. A short walk to the underground or the square in the other direction.
We swapped stories with the owner and got lots of helpful advise. We had a big room and stayed 5 nights, which just flew. We could easily stayed longer looking around the city.
We will definately be back soon.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2008

After reading some of the other reviews of the Schweizer Pension, it's obvious to me there are travelers who expect and demand the impersonal, sterile, and generic standards of a "Holiday Inn" as opposed to opening their hearts to the warmth and charm of this family-run lodging located smack dab in the romantic city center of Vienna.

For many reasons, I would choose the Schweizer Pension over virtually any other accommodation. Imagine entering on the ground floor where carriages of past have dropped off passengers - what mystique! Priceless. The pension itself, on the fourth floor and accessed by an elevator, is authentically Viennese. Would you want it to be anything else? The owners are very, very interesting people, and I thought they were great. At first glance, he comes across as gruff, but remember the differences in our cultures, and then fully appreciate his wonderful dry sense of humor. She only wants to please and couldn't be more helpful and accommodating.

We also had a room without a shower or toilet, although there was a sink in our room. I did not mind at all using the community bath, and I actually rather enjoyed it. For the money we saved in choosing the "bath down the hall", it was a wise decision. If you don't like that idea, pay the extra and have your own private bath.

The breakfast was terrific. No, it wasn't bacon and eggs. It was fully Viennese, and I was thrilled. I do not understand the other reviewers who say it wasn't a substantial breakfast, because I would take the exact opposite stand. Imagine many kinds of breads and rolls, meats and cheeses, homemade jams, spreads, cereals, granola with REAL CREAM and fresh fruit as toppers, tea, coffee, juice. Then add a healthy dose of wonderful and stimulating conversation with fellow travelers and breakfast companions - new friends! I don't know about you, but I have never found new friends at any of the Holiday Inns where I've stayed. I would choose the Schweizer Pension every time.

Would I stay at the Schweizer Pension again? In a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Schweizer Pension is located ideally in the First District on a quiet street, within short walking distance of countless attractions and modes of transportation. We decided to share bathroom and shower facilities, and with a bit of strategizing, never had to wait to use them. The opportunity to meet people of various nationalities was a lot of fun, and that took place over the substantial breakfast, which held us long into the afternoon. Herr and Frau Klaus served breakfast with great gemutlichkeit, and were quite delightful. Our room was very comfortable, and well-appointed. Our trip was a romantic sightseeing venture, and I frankly found Schweizer Pension to be excellent in all ways. I would definitely go there again, and recommend it with enthusiasm.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2008

We stayed for a few nights at the Schweizer Pension and were quite satisfied. The location is great. It's very close to the train station and the centre of Vienna, and in a quiet area near a handy supermarket. We took a double room with shared bathroom, and our bedroom was a good size, very clean and comfortable with sink and TV. You have to walk through the dining room to get to the shared shower, but we didn't find it a problem. The towels provided, though, were very small and scratchy! The breakfast is basic - adequate but nothing special. The only real drawback was the owner: one day he'd be gruff and even angry, the next day he was uncomfortably intrusive, which meant we were trying to avoid him as much as possible by the end of our stay. But it's a clean, central and cheap place to stay, and recommended overall.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2008

We booked at the last minute through the tourist office in Vienna. The rooms are very clean, comfortable and spacious. We had a shared bathroom which was also spotless. The staff were very friendly and helpful at all times and the breakfast was delicious.
The pension is centrally located to the centre of Vienna. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple