“Very friendly, very convenient”
Review of Hotel Kugel

Hotel Kugel
Ranked #106 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Alabama
“Very friendly, very convenient”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Instead of a taxi from the airport, I decided to take the train and subway for this visit. No problems at all, plus the walk from the subway station with my rolling luggage was very easy. As always, the owners and all of their staff were friendly and helpful - they know everything about Vienna! The very expensive-looking coffee machine offers every style of coffee drink, and the wifi worked flawlessly with my iPad. I stay in plenty of modern hotels elsewhere, but when in Vienna, I'll take the charm and history of the Hotel Kugel every time!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Toccoa, Georgia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights while touring Vienna in September, 2012. We were very pleased with the location, friendly staff, and the size of our room. While the hotel needs some updating, it is extremely clean. Our sheets were starched and ironed, which was a big plus for me! Several reviewers have mentioned the noise from the tram. Due to the coolness of the nights we did close our windows and therefore the noise was minimum and did not bother us. We were delighted with the breakfast. It was abundant with wonderful breads, cereals, fruit, meats, cheeses, and a selection of beverages. The owner and his wife greeted us each day at breakfast and were glad to answer any questions about Vienna. The hotel has been in his family for many years, which seems to be a source of pride for him. We were able to walk to many famous sites and the subway was also close by.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem to be on the front of the hotel. There are some rooms available for hikers al...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Suzy B
Munich, Germany
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is nice little hotel in a great location in Vienna. I lived in Vienna for a year in '98 and travel there a few weekends each year. We booked the "Romantic Package" for 3 nights. In general terms the hotel is fine and the service is very friendly, but it's let down by the noise from the tram line outside.

Plus points
> Very friendly and knowledgeable staff
> Great location just a minute or two from Mariahilferstr (Neubaugasse u-bahn)
> Clean rooms and nice four poster beds but the room sizes are standard for this type of hotel, i.e. small.

Negative points
> The tram line is VERY noisy in the rooms. It's actually quieter when you are out on the street.
> No aircon means you really need to keep the windows open in summer and that's added noise
> The breakfast was a mediocre European hotel breakfast at best. I asked for warm food but only the cold buffet was available. Standard fayre of cold cuts, boiled eggs, cheese, cereals, etc.

Given the many other options available in Vienna we wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Roger M
ABC2412, Inhaber at Hotel Kugel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear guest!

First let me thank you for staying with us and thank you for your suggestions which proof to be very helpful in our neverending effort to improve our cozy romantic place and you will be delighted to hear that we offer now not only scrambled eggs, bacon and delicious fried sausages but also local specialities like venison sausages, forest paté, hot apricot dumplings from the oven, housemade cream with the owner´s own rasperry recipie, assorted forest berry bowls with Austrian mountain honey; not to mention our energized mountain spring water with lime and fresh mint leaves, the ultra rare seabuckle thorne juice and this is not the end because we constantly add more seasonal delicates to our breakfast. So be welcome again and enjoy our sumptuous breakfast to the fullest.
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights with a friend in June 2012. The hotel was clean and safe. They provide an excellent buffet breakfast. The staff are very friendly and helpful. While not in the old part of Vienna, the hotel is within easy walking distance of most tourist sights. It is also close to many restaurants. If you are a light sleeper, you may want to look elsewhere. The hotel is on a corner of two streets with trams. The sound of the trams did not bother me but they did bother my friend. Other than the trams, the hotel was very quiet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kathy G
San Leandro, California, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2012

If you are planning a trip to Vienna, the Rick Steves guidebook has a great place to stay. Hotel Kugel and your host Johannes and staff make for a wonderful stay while in Vienna. The rooms were spacious and clean and the included breakfast was both substantial, delicious, and filling. Within walking distance to the palaces and museums, you can also take the convenient tram that stops right in front of the hotel The Bahn line station is a short walk away also. If driving, they provide discounted parking in a lot a 1/2 block away. The Neubaugasse neighborhood is a wonderfully funky place with great restaurants and shopping all nearby. Thanks, Johannes and staff for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The tram noise could bother some folks, but we found it very minimal and had no problems. Their win...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Roberts Creek, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I left Venice after spening a wonderful 7 days there (another story) and took the train to Milan. From Milan I flew to Vienna for the last 3 days of my trip. By the time I left the Airport Bus at the end of its route into Vienna I was tired, dragging my luggage which I had had to tie together with my scarf before leaving Milan and quite lost. I hopped into a cab and told him I was going to Hotel Kugel.....with that he told me that he needed an address............which I did not have (I could feel my sanity unravelling at this point. Sooooo, I took my battered looking luggage and hit the nearest bar in order to gather myself. The bartender did not speak English but managed to see that I needed a drink (was it my face?) Bottom line, a hotel across the street from the bar gave me directions.....it was 5 blocks from where I was...On the four-poster bed in my room was a bear (a lady bear). "Bear" whom I took as my companion was smitten!! I bought the bear on the bed and have sent to the Hotel Kugel a picture of their first "Little Bear" My Vienna bear is called "Kugel" I took the both of them to see "Cirque du Soleil"-Vareki on the last night of my incredible visit to Italy and Austria. My grandchildren look for "Bear" in all of my pictures. He's always there!!!!!!

Room Tip: Travel on the virtual tour of the accomodations you find. Choose a room which suits your mornings a...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank nfl0_0
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for five nights during a conference, during which time I was in one of the 'student' rooms which had the feel of a youth hostel (although I had it to myself). Everything worked, there was a shower in the room, and there was a pleasant view onto the fairly quiet street below. For the weekend following the conference I stayed for 2 nights in one of the canopy bedrooms, which was lovely. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was very good, and the view from the window was pleasant.

The owners and staff of the hotel are welcoming and helpful. The breakfasts were good, and the dining room is light and pleasant. The walk to the nearest underground station is 5 or 10 minutes at most.

Overall, a good place to stay.

Room Tip: The student rooms offer good value, and are simple and have plenty of space. The canopy room I st...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business