“Good choice that is close to most sights”
Review of Hotel Kugel

Hotel Kugel
Ranked #106 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights with a friend in June 2012. The hotel was clean and safe. They provide an excellent buffet breakfast. The staff are very friendly and helpful. While not in the old part of Vienna, the hotel is within easy walking distance of most tourist sights. It is also close to many restaurants. If you are a light sleeper, you may want to look elsewhere. The hotel is on a corner of two streets with trams. The sound of the trams did not bother me but they did bother my friend. Other than the trams, the hotel was very quiet.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kathy G

Reviewed July 6, 2012

If you are planning a trip to Vienna, the Rick Steves guidebook has a great place to stay. Hotel Kugel and your host Johannes and staff make for a wonderful stay while in Vienna. The rooms were spacious and clean and the included breakfast was both substantial, delicious, and filling. Within walking distance to the palaces and museums, you can also take the convenient tram that stops right in front of the hotel The Bahn line station is a short walk away also. If driving, they provide discounted parking in a lot a 1/2 block away. The Neubaugasse neighborhood is a wonderfully funky place with great restaurants and shopping all nearby. Thanks, Johannes and staff for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The tram noise could bother some folks, but we found it very minimal and had no problems. Their win...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I left Venice after spening a wonderful 7 days there (another story) and took the train to Milan. From Milan I flew to Vienna for the last 3 days of my trip. By the time I left the Airport Bus at the end of its route into Vienna I was tired, dragging my luggage which I had had to tie together with my scarf before leaving Milan and quite lost. I hopped into a cab and told him I was going to Hotel Kugel.....with that he told me that he needed an address............which I did not have (I could feel my sanity unravelling at this point. Sooooo, I took my battered looking luggage and hit the nearest bar in order to gather myself. The bartender did not speak English but managed to see that I needed a drink (was it my face?) Bottom line, a hotel across the street from the bar gave me directions.....it was 5 blocks from where I was...On the four-poster bed in my room was a bear (a lady bear). "Bear" whom I took as my companion was smitten!! I bought the bear on the bed and have sent to the Hotel Kugel a picture of their first "Little Bear" My Vienna bear is called "Kugel" I took the both of them to see "Cirque du Soleil"-Vareki on the last night of my incredible visit to Italy and Austria. My grandchildren look for "Bear" in all of my pictures. He's always there!!!!!!

Room Tip: Travel on the virtual tour of the accomodations you find. Choose a room which suits your mornings a...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank nfl0_0
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for five nights during a conference, during which time I was in one of the 'student' rooms which had the feel of a youth hostel (although I had it to myself). Everything worked, there was a shower in the room, and there was a pleasant view onto the fairly quiet street below. For the weekend following the conference I stayed for 2 nights in one of the canopy bedrooms, which was lovely. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was very good, and the view from the window was pleasant.

The owners and staff of the hotel are welcoming and helpful. The breakfasts were good, and the dining room is light and pleasant. The walk to the nearest underground station is 5 or 10 minutes at most.

Overall, a good place to stay.

Room Tip: The student rooms offer good value, and are simple and have plenty of space. The canopy room I st...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2012

An older hotel but full of character with great (and very personable) service from the staff at the front desk; they always had maps and travel guides on hand to make recommendations, give directions, or look something up for you. A nice breakfast room and the food was fresh and filling. The room itself was actually quite big with big windows and bright light. The bathroom was decent; not huge, but clean. The tram runs right in front of the hotel with stops near-by, but noise wasn't a problem. The hotel itself is just a short ride (or walk) from the museums and palace. Decent price too. One drawback: No wi-fi. To use my computer, I had to go down to the dining room, wait in line with some other guests, and hook up to their land line.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
ABC2412, Manager at Hotel Kugel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2012

Dear guests! Thank you for for your pleasent words and we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!
As we are a historic building installing WIFI was not so easy for us but we are now proud to say that the whole hotel and all rooms and facilities are fully equipped with our high speed WLAN/WIFI connection! And this all is free of charge!
We are sorry that this service was not yet accessable in October 2011 but we do hope that on your next trip you pass by Hotel Kugel and enjoy WIFI for free!
All the best,
Christina from the Hotel Kugel

Liebe Gäste!

Wir freuen uns, Ihnen mitteilen zu dürfen, dass wir seit 1. Jänner 2012 im gesamten Hotel und in den Zimmern kostenfreies WLAN anbieten können!

Reviewed January 4, 2012

It was quite nice to stay in this family-run place. Definitely not a chain-hotel; more like a B&B! The breakfast was very nice. Very good front desk staff, especially Alexander who went out of his way to be helpful and accommodating. I like the location since it was convenient to take public transportation. Too bad the wifi only worked in the lobby area -- so i used my iPad there! I would stay there again despite the tiny bathroom!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Pleasantly surprised when we arrived at this hotel. Rooms are nicely decorated.....very European. There is a tram that runs on the street outside the hotel, so can be a bit noisy. It does not run all night however. Owner & staff are very helpful. Made suggestions on what to see & how to get there. Recommended excellent restaurant for schnitzel. Nice breakfast room with more than adequate breakfast. Hotel was a little further from centre of Vienna than we had hoped, but 20 minute walk was fine in the nice weather. No WIFI......would have been nice.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that are 'hostel-like'. May want to request upgraded room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple