“Unsafe and Insecure.”

Ranked #163 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Unsafe and Insecure.”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The Hotel Post is dirty, noisy and an establishment that has no respect for the safety and security of its patrons. There were renovation workers immediately outside of our window as of 0730 in the morning and we were not provided with curtains to offer some privacy. Worse yet, our room was immediately next to the workers' access door and, at some point, they were given an access key to our room to use our toilet. It was obvious that our comings and goings were noted since, on the second morning, a worker walked into our room only five minutes after my husband had left for the embassy. A shock to both the worker and me: I was still naked in bed when he walked into our room. My husband and my complaints fell on deaf ears at the front desk. The daytime desk staff would not allow us contact with a manager and would not take any responsibility for the huge breach in safety and security. He merely stated that it wasn't his fault that the worker walked into our room as he was "stupid." We immediately left the hotel to find another place to stay and, fortunately, found the Boutique Hotel Alma. I have spent the past couple of months trying to contact a manager at the Hotel Post with no success. My emails of concern are not responded to and, when I have called, I have been informed that there is no manager on site. I'm really not sure how they run that place. It really leaves a sour taste.

Room Tip: Walk away.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank kputinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed December 8, 2012

The hotel is 10 minutes walk away from Stephans Dome or one stop away by underground.We stayed at this hotel last time some 8 years ago. Since then the restaurant and the reception area had been refurbished. We got a room at the 4th floor, which had been refurbished with a new bath room. The room was big and high and towards the alley. No noise.
The included breakfast (they call it cold buffee) was good and also included scrambled eggs and bacon. Fresh fruit was also available.
All in all we felt comfortable and welcome in this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room towards the alley to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sedelma
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was a hotel used a lot by my family, but my first stay there. My room was on the second floor, my mother and sister stayed on the fourth. Their room has been refurbished to modern standards, mine has yet to undergo this treatment. One comment, some of us would prefer to have the option of a bath, not just a shower.

Breakfast provided the usual range of options- maybe if fresh filter coffee were available rather than machine made/served, it would be a little less bitter. Also fresh fruit juice would be nice.

Because of the family connection ther reception staff quickly learned my name and this helped me feel very welcome.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel needs a total refurbishment. I stayed 1 night in a single room that was like a cupboard. I moved to a double room of single use and I felt been back to the fifties; Very old furnitures, a strange smell, poor light, no access to the wifi network, very noisy air extractor, poor sound isolation, extremely basic breakfast. I have really difficulties in finding something positive in this hotel. Reception desk during day time 1 good employee but the other OK but not kind at all. Service almost inexistant. I did a mistake choosing this hotel and it spoiled my stay in Vienna. To avoid for business trips.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Vaquilla

Travelers are raving about these Vienna hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I'm not a hotel connoisseur - having only really stayed in hotels for business. I was quite looking forwards to spending a few days of our honeymoon in Hotel Post but I was severely disappointed.

The only thing they managed to get right was provision of synthetic bedding as I am allergic to feathers.

Other than this, we were amazed at how dreadful this hotel was. Mostly what it needs is an update but a good review of their entire regime would not go amiss.

We stayed on our honeymoon and happened to mention this at reception on check-in. We were warmly congratulated, which was nice. But upon entering our room, we discovered that our "bed" was two singles pushed together, with two single sheets and two single duvets. On our honeymoon.

We look out of the window - and discover we are overlooking a "courtyard" covered with pigeon feathers, guano and other assorted rubbish. It would seem that the vents from the kitchens come up there too, as the smell of wieners was astonishing. Strike two.

Various minor niggles included:
- having to lock ourselves into our room at night - I have never had to do this at any other hotel and it is simply due to the ancient locks, rather than having key-cards like everywhere else! There wasn't even a chain or other lock on the inside of the door. So dangerous.
- The toilet was broken and ran constantly after use unless you hit it
- The heating was on. Constantly. And I couldn't turn it off.
- Closely followed by a lack of air-con
- The safety posters, despite proclaiming that "Hospitality and Safety are omnipresent in our establishment" failed to provide any emergency contact details in the spaces provided for them. Nice.

The final straw was this evening (yes, we have yet to even check out). We had previously been treated like aliens for asking for some ice so that we could enjoy a drink in our room. So having read the various hotel literature left in our room, which varyingly stated that the restaurant closed at 11pm or midnight daily, we headed downstairs at 10:35pm for a soft drink. The receptionist told us in no uncertain terms that even on a Saturday, the bar closed at 10:30 and treated us like we were idiots for even daring to think otherwise.

We are not the complaining type. We have both worked in hotels for years and are usually more than willing to accept mistakes or put up with little niggles, it's usually noone's fault. Seeing as we usually spend our summer holidays up to our knees in British camping mud, we're usually happy enough to "rough it" - so we decided that it was only for a few days and to just put up with it. But even we were astonished. Basically, the only thing going for this hotel is its location - even then, I'm sure that you would find something better close by.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Beci K
Pilsen, Czech Republic
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Beginning of July 2012 - daily temparature was above 34°C. It was my first privat stay in Vienna. If there were an air contition and better breakfast, it would be worth one star more.
We waited one day 45min. for eggs and bacon.

The staff was helpfull and patient.

Room Tip: Rooms to the street are noisy in the night, ask for the oposite side.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarioNolli
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I will admit I wasn't sure what I should expect when I booked this hotel as I booked as part of a 'Prague, Vienna, Budapest' trip and this was one of the only decent hotels left available in Vienna at a reasonable price.

I needn't have been worried, Hotel Post is a lovely hotel located very centrally; a minute walk from nearest train station, and many streets full of restaurants and bars.

The staff I encountered were extremely helpful, and eager to help us in any way they could.

Our room was huge, with a lovely bathroom and luckily for us our windows overlooked a courtyard rather than the street so the room didn't get over-heated during the day.

The only negatives of this hotel was that fact that there wasn't air con. Not a problem for us due to the location of our room but I'm sure it affected other travellers. Also, although I would recommend the hotel and was impressed during my stay, I'm not sure it was worth what I paid. I'm not sure if this is just Austria being an expensive country, or because it was August but prices seemed very steep. Still, this wouldn't stop me from staying here if I ever go back to Vienna.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the 'business double' rooms as the extra space etc is so worth it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends