“Great service, Great restaurant, Great manager!!!”
Review of Flatschers

Ranked #308 of 4,506 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Neubau
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I 've been with my girlfriend in this restaurant. First of all we been impressed coz this kind of bar/restaurant u are expecting to find them in the very city center!!! But no! Really pretty bar (they need to upload more pics), very friendly and polite staff and what else do you need? Good steaks and a good cocktails! Well done and bravo to the bar manager who runs the bar in such a simple, really smooth and nice way!!!
Thanks a lot for the surprise bday cake to my girlfriend :)
Nick the Greek

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Definately of my favourite places in Vienna. Fantastic burgers and nice steaks, nice atmosphere and good service ( not everywhere to be found in Vienna!).

1  Thank L_Estonia
Reviewed January 19, 2014

To start off with, I do not like this place and hope that my friends will never drag me there again, but I decided to be as fair as possible in my review, since is is professionally run restaurant that has many positive aspects.

Location and Interior:
The restaurant is located in the hip 7th district and is very close to public transport which is practical. The interior is nice and modern.

Arriving at the restaurant:
The place is usually packed, especially in the evenings. When you enter, there tend to be a lot of people standing around the bar and in the entrance area. Waiters are speeding past you and you have to catch them to get to your table. You have to be quite forceful with them if you don't want to end up waiting for ages.
The place seriously needs a hostess! This is not a big business expense and would really improve things.

The tables:
During the summer, there's a terrace outside, which is nice. The tables inside the restaurant are nice, too. The atmosphere is pleasant, not too loud, but you get the feeling that the place is lively.

The waiters:
They are very professional, well educated and nice. They see to it that you won't have to wait for your food and regularly come and check on you to see if you need anything. I got the feeling that all of them are very well trained.
Sometimes, though, they are simply too flirtatious. Having a nice and friendly waiter is great, having a waiter hit on you and you friends despite the fact that most of you are wearing wedding rings is not appropriate.
During one of my visits, I also had the feeling that the waiter was really trying to sell us cocktails on a constant basis. I didn't like being pressured in this way. If I want to order a non-alcoholic drink after two cocktails, I don't want to be given the feeling of being a killjoy for not wanting to get trashed. If and how much I drink is up to me, and if I choose to stay with non-alcoholic drinks (because I may be driving) then that should be perfectly ok, too.

The drinks:
The cocktails are very well made, in fact, they are perfect. They seems to use high quality liquors and the bartenders know how to mix them. They are served at the right temperature and are always perfectly balanced and they are very good value for money.

During one of my other visits, I had a beer. They have a very good selection of beers and the beer was served at the right temperature.

The wine list is ok but definitely needs improvement. Just reading the wine list causes confusion, since there does not seem to be any direction or concept behind it. Frankly, I get the feeling that these wines were selected at random.

First of all, the pricing policy is weird. If a glass of white wine costs me less than a small espresso, this tells me one of two things: Either the coffee is grossly overpriced, or you're serving me a hideous white wine.

I get the feeling that the wines were absolutely not selected in conjunction with the food. I realised this when I tried to pick the right red wine with my steak. The foreign wines they offer are generally too young by 1-2 years, and they are missing essential combinations. North- and South-American wines are underrepresented, which is a shame, since their texture goes extremely well with beef dishes.
On top of that, they do not have a single wine to match the surf and turf. Ok, this is not an easy task, but if you are one of the few restaurants in Vienna serving surf n turf, you might as well go all the way and offer a wine that complements it.
Don't get me wrong, the wine list is not completely off, there are a few good picks on it, but I personally feel that is needs some revision, especially if the restaurants wants to surprise its clients by serving a wine alongside the steaks that really impresses them taste-wise.

Another remark about the wine is the storage. When you walk down the stairs to go to the bathroom, you pass by a wine fridge. In that fridge, the wines are stacked on top of each other - hence there are multiple bottles squeezed into a shelf made for a single line of bottles. Why would you do that to wine?

The food:
I love steak and the steaks at Flatschers are ok, but not as good as in the US or France. Granted, Austrian food safety law does not allow for some of the practices applied to steaks in other countries (especially the beef ageing process), so I will let that one slide.
The steak salad is ok, and the Burgers are as well. The meat is definitely of high quality and they cook it well. They claim on the menu, that they only use sea salt. I believe that this is true, but the taste of sea salt was missing on the fries that came with my burger.

My overall verdict:
It's a professionally run restaurant, but some of the details are off. There are too many loose ends. I would go there again for cocktails, because those are very good, but there are better restaurants in terms of value for money in Vienna. Yes, it's a trendy place, but this is not something that interests me.

2  Thank LaraVienna
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

The food is fantastic. But because the restaurant has not clear seperation between smoking and no smoking area the whole resturant stinks of cigarettes and cigars.

Unfortunately only the resturants that cater for the americans have the no smoking policy and Austria doesn't enforce the european code on smoking in resturants.

Shame about Flatschers, as they have adopted an American concept. But have failed to embrace it fully.

Regardless of the fantastic food. Nobody likes to eat when the taste is lost in the heavy cigarettes taste.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We was in Vienne and want to eat a good Steak! So i start to google and i found some...at the end we tryed the flatschers, i aso tryed two day to make a reservation, but was overbooked. So we desided just to go there and try oure luck! And we had luck. We order some beef tartar and some paprika soup, soup was nothing special, tartar was nice, but i mised some spices and olive oil on the table...after 2 ladies 1 gentleman and 1 flank, meet was very soft exectly made how we wanted and everything was total fast! Sidedishes was so so....the best for my tast was was the homemade pommes frittes, the dips was nothing special...we drink 2 bootles of Kohunga Hill Shiraz and at the end we wanted to order desert but it was to late because the kitchen close at 23h! We payed 170€ .