“This hotel will amaze”

Ranked #186 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Wollongong, Australia
“This hotel will amaze”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

This was undoubtedly one of the nicest hotels I stayed in in Europe. The hotel in general looks classic in build, but has obviously been renovated and the rooms look incredible. Very stylish and comfortable. The staff were amazing. I had an issue with a purchase I had made and had to have returned. I however had to catch a train prior to the shop opening, so one of the staff kindly did the exchange for me and mailed the new item to Australia. To me this is well and beyond what is required and it was very much appreciated!
The hotel is also within easy walking distance from the most amazing sites in Vienna, and also close to the trains for access to further away sites

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
Melaka
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

Paid 190 euros for double room. Breakfast included but hardly anything else. No free wifi. There is however a computer with internet use at the lobby. Incredibly small room and bathroom. Only good thing is the location - right in the centre of town, 3 minutes walk from stephandom.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank melakaG1234
St. Venera
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2010

My week stay at Wandl Hotel for the New Year 2010 was excellent. the rooms are clean and spacious, the staff was very helpful and nice and the hotel location in the inner stadt is marvellous. I highly recommend this hotel if u intend to travel to this marvellous city.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cla4876
Greenville, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2009

This was my first trip to Wien and my entire stay was at Hotel Wandl. From a location standpoint, it is hard to top. The hotel's proximity to the city's center and major attraction makes it a viable option irregardless of the service. I found the service to be average but certainly tolerable. The less time you spend at any hotel in Wien the better off you are - there are just too many things to see. Breakfasts were pretty good on the whole. I would recommend the hotel based on location alone.

• Stayed September 2009
Brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

The Wandle is very clean. The rooms are spacious and the staff is excellent.

• Liked — Locations and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sans Souci, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

Vienna's Hotel Wandl was highly recommended by our favourite "Canadian Ex-Pat", who absolutely loved the location! We made the trek from Prague, for an intensive touring weekend, and we are so glad we stayed at the Wandl! The staff are amazing! Due to all the "one-way" streets, and my poor "directional" skills as navigator, we only got as close as the plaza at Am Hof & Farberg, where we were fortunate to find a parking spot. After running over to the Wandl (two blocks away), and explaining our dilemma at the front desk, a porter (and luggage trolley) was sent along with me over the ancient cobblestone streets, to gather all of our suitcases! Fantastic Service! We were given a wonderful room on the third floor, at the end of the hallway, very nice and quiet, with a view overlooking the side street and part of Petersplatz at the corner. Our room was quite plush, with an enormous bed, large antique wardrobe, and beautiful armchairs & table. The Wandl is a beautiful boutique hotel, with a fabulously elegant front foyer covered in marble, along with it's focal centrepiece, a magnificent sweeping staircase! We found the Wandl's location to be absolutely perfect for our "jam-packed" plans for the weekend, as it is right in the center of Vienna, but occupies a very quiet corner of the Innere Stadt, with the occasional bus and the clippity-clop of horse hooves being the only sounds to reach our room windows. The breakfast room is a high-ceilinged, two-toned baroque room with hanging chandeliers and lots of ornamented plaster. The continental breakfasts were very satisfying with many options available. We found the various granolas, yogurts, fresh fruit, amazing breads, many options of eggs, sausages & bacon, muffins & pastries, with lots of hot coffee, to be an excellent way to start the very busy day we had planned!
After much research into the dozens of potential paths through Vienna's historic center, we came up with our own meandering tour that at least gave us an exterior view of the Habsburgs' urban haunts, and some lesser-known sights best seen from the outside on foot, beginning and ending at the Wandl. We began (from the Wandl) down Kohlmarket - to Michaeler Platz, where there's an amazing exposure/dig of Roman Ruins of "under floor heating & indoor plumbing... dating from the 1st-5th century. Very intriguing! From this vantage we could also view Michaelerkirche, Loden Plankl, and the front of the Hofburg Complex. We then strolled along Augustine Strasse, viewing the magnificent archetecture of the Kaiserappartements, the Lipperzaner Museum, the Osterreichische Nationalbibliothek, and Augustinerkirche... absolutely stunning! At Albertina, we turned down Goette-gasse to the Burg-Garten, then from there onto the famous Maria-Theresien Platz. From the centre of the Maria-Theresien Platz we were surrounded by all the archetecture, statues and amazingly huge doors, of the Kunsthistorische, the MuseumQuartier and the Natur-historisches Museum!
We then crossed the Burg Ring, to walk along the Heldenplatz, viewing the pillars of the Parliament building from this vantage, and then entered the VolksGarten for a much needed rest & break. The centre of the Volks Garten was very tranquil & restful, plus it presented some beautiful photo opportunities, of the Burgtheater dominating the fountains & landscape of the VolksGarten. We also were afforded a glimpse of the spires of Votivkirche, the Minoriten Kirst and the SchottenStift further in the distance beyond. As we exited the garden, we followed along Dr-Karl-Renner Ring, past the impressive Rathaus, the Rathaus Platz & Park, and the Universitat Wien, until we reached the Roosevelt Platz and the gothic Votivkirche. At this point, we made a bee-line towards MichaelerPlatz, past the SchottenStift, back down the Kohlmarket (with a much deserved stop at Demel's) and returned to the Wandl. All in all, a very intensive, extensive yet great overview of the Inner City of Vienna, with the Wandl as our home base!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank GalivantingGardener
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2008

After finding the hotel listed in a guidebook I checked their website. Since this was a special trip - I wanted a traditional room with double bed and decided to call and make arrangements rather than depend on internet. I spoke to Katrin who booked me a traditional room with antiques and a double.
She asked that I follow our call with an email to confirm and give credit card details. I did this and received a written confirmation from her. Her email specifically stated deluxe double.
WHen I went to check in three weeks later - I was offered the only available room on the 4th floor - a dank, shabby, charmless room with twin beds and a dirty 1950s sofa. I returned to the desk and refused this room. I explained that Katrin had arranged a room on the first floor and her email confirmed a double bed. The manager named Andrew (I think the same smarmy chain smoker referred to in other reviews) was rude and kind of said take it of leave it. Being it was New Years weekend and 7pm and very cold - we stayed for the one night. He refused to discount our DELUXE RATE of 215E/night.
I would avoid booking at this hotel as even confirmation letters are no guarantee. This was the worst room I stayed at ever.
The public areas are fine - the management not trustful. Avoid
this place.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — horrible room and little tin foil packets for toiletries
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank NewYorkGulliver