“Average at best”

Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Josefstadt
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was the first place I booked this time as part of Vienna’s (excellent) restaurantwoche scheme. I honestly thought from the reviews and their website that they were aspiring to excellence (and hoping for a couple of awards) and that it would be good to get in on the ground floor.
Aside from the fact that the wines were the worst I have ever tasted, the food was a shock. The best I can say is that the presentation was good if you still believe in the values of tasteless foam, bits of salad and poorly made terrines. But it all looked pretty.
The fact that the food served involved little skill and could be prepared in advance made it all the more irritating that the waiting time was so long. (Maybe it was a Fawlty Towers moment, as for about half an hour nothing emerged from the kitchen to any table). The main course was so oversalted that it was only palatable with bread, water and such a long wait that hunger trumped everything. Others have commented on the poor desserts, but suffice to say that they resembled an airplane sweet, the fact that an apricot had suffered so long in a deluge of lemon juice to render it unrecognisable, was not a good end to a poor meal.
The waiting staff were very friendly, if incompetent, hence the generous tip. I was shocked that this is the only place so far where the discounted meal (EUR 29 for 3 courses) is something I wouldn’t be willing to pay for the experience on a normal day.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We went there yesterday and it was a huge disappointment. We had a pike and St. peter's fish and it was from a frozen filet. Also kind of salty. We were served also some kind of asparagus soup (schaum) that was very average. My wife ordered the 3 course menu. The waiter convinced her to take a desert as part of the menu instead of a starter...but then he served us the soup and forgot about the desert at all. The other 2 options were pork and "Dry Aged" beef. that's it.
The wine selection was a complete fiasco! They offer very limited choice of white wines and despite of that it turned out that half of the wines are not available. At the end We ordered Gruner Veltliner Smaragd (69 Euro) and we were told that is not available. Then we asked for Chardonnay. Although the waiter took the order from the body language we knew they dont have it....then he brought the Smaragd we asked for earlier saying that they found 3 bottles..But it was warm! Although there were very few people in the whole restaurant (no wonder) we ended pouring the wine on our own as there was nobody to serve it.
On the positive side the Chef was very nice and friendly, but that was it. I will NEVER go again.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We happened to be in Vienna for Restaurant Week and one of the participating places was High Restaurant. We made a lunch reservation at a great price for two courses. Upon arriving, I was pleased with everything there. The place was very well decorated, chic but still comforting and inviting. Our meal was great. They brought out bread and different butters and spreads, and also an extra appetizer. I started with a pumpkin soup that was amazing, and then had fish over a vegetable ratatouille. Both dishes were perfect. The fish was light, yet flavorful. I was so happy with everything. My boyfriend ended with the dessert and they brought out a few small cakes- all absolutely delicious. The service was very friendly and helpful, especially about any questions we had in English. If I lived in Vienna, this would definitely be my go to restaurant for any special occasion.

Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Very exclusive and exstremely good meal. The service was also more than expected. We will advice this restaurant to all our friends

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We visited this comfortable exzellent restaurant after a longer summerbrake .
It was the feast of Saint Martin traditional an opportunity to eat crispy goose with red and white cabbage and maroni dumplings
They served outstanding good variation to the theme .
We enjoied it very much