“one night stay”

Mate Dependance Hotel
Ranked #335 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed April 22, 2010

Hotel location is close to U-Bahn station Alser strasse, on a quiet street. The district is not very attractive, many immigrants live there. Our first room was very cold, the heating did not work at all, we changed the room and the second one was very hot: we had to open windows and shut off the heating. I wouldn`t like to stay more than 2 nights at that hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Avtodor

Reviewed January 11, 2010

Great breakfasts. Very helpful staff. Will speak to you in English if you need them to and print out train schedules and provide maps. The hotel is walking distance from downtown Vienna and is very clean.

Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 18, 2009

We stayed there for 10 days and we could enjoy the rich breakfast without getting bored every day. The personnel was pretty welcoming, helpful and amiable. The rooms were really clean and the cleaning ladies passed by every morning. We weren't disturbed by noises as I read in other reviews, it was actually pretty quiet. The subway was 10 minutes on foot from the hotel. The only thing that was annoying was the door's safety latch which was a lottery to get locked. The room had quiet enough space, but the bathroom could use more. When I visit again Vienna I'll stay again here because I know what to expect and I enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elenacBucharest
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Just spend the extra 20 bucks and stay someplace else.

My husband and I stayed four nights here in Oct. Positives first: The hotel staff was very friendly and knowledgeable and spoke English. The breakfast was pretty good. Everything else was almost unbearable.

For a preview of this hotel, cover your dining room table with a sheet. Sleep on it. You've just experienced a night at the Mate Dependence.

The hotel literature claims it's close to a train station, but it's a long six-block walk -- uphill when headed to the hotel. We never had any trouble in the neighborhood, but the hotel is situated on dark and narrow streets that I wouldn't walk alone at night.

They also claimed to have Internet... not so much. Their guests can use the Internet at a sister hotel three blocks away.

Usually when I read these reviews and guests start talking about how uncomfortable the bed is, I roll my eyes. But I think my dining room table would be just as comfortable as the bed in our room.

Finally, the cleaning was atrocious. When my husband put his used white shower towel on the bathroom floor, it turned gray with filth and mud on the tiled floor.

I almost cried from relief when we checked out.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Danedri
Reviewed September 26, 2009

It was our first time in Viena, I went with my mother, and the first impresion from the hotel was very good, the receptionist was very nice, helpful, and sharing lots of tips of what to do in the citu during the three days we stayed there. The same level of service we saw on 4 of the 5 receptionists we saw on the few days.
However, the room was very small, with very basic and old furniture, not very well maintained, but the worst for me is the cleaning service... the bathroom was very bad cleaned, with dust on the shower and the toilette itself, and with very few toilet paper. We thought that the next morning they were going to clean better, but that was not true and even worst... The breakfast was nice, but again the dishes were with rest of food.
By the service totally recommended, however I do not want to be back in a place that is not clean...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I got to try this hotel from a travel agent where I went to Genrmany and then Austria. To my surprise I discovered that the pics/photos in the internet were taken when the hotel was recently built ....so old and now looks not related to pics ! Hotel is also far away from everything!! More, we took two rooms and both were smelly and not clean...plus there is no aircoditioning in hot and humid August!! So, we tried the garden area for a change and found that my backyard backhome is biuger and mine does not have mices jumping around!! I do not recommend this hotel EVEN to my enemy!!

>>>>if you go ahead and try this hotel, you will always remember that I warned you first!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2009

The hotel is situated in quiet neighbourhood, even if there were strip tease clubs and shabby/abandoned stores, no sospicius people around. Connection to city center is quite good, even if you have to change at least 2 metros, the route is very short; taking the 43 will allow you to go downtown(university/ rathaus) faster. The hotel can be said an historical building but is actually a shabby one...our room was clean, but with quite old furnitures and strange roof in the bathroom( made with wood axis, with a lot of dust between them...and above....it was actually a false ceiling, no idea what it hided..)The last night we found a cockroach in the bathroom, just one, but we didn't turn the light off, so maybe the other ones stayed hided! It was terribly hot in the room, no air conditioned, but the bed was very comfortable.
Good point is the staff! reception guys are very friendly and easygoing , most of them are spanish , one girl spoke Italian.
The breakfast is included but is not so good....
You can use the swimming pool and the gym of the other hotel of the chain ( Eurostar) which is nearby, that is a beautifull hotel, with air conditioned. The pool and the gym are in the basement , kinda small, only towels are provided.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple