“modern but no cooked breakfast”

Motel One Wien Westbahnhof
Ranked #82 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Surgut, Russia
“modern but no cooked breakfast”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

the hotel was new clean and very helpful city center and prices very good no resturant but so close to city center this is no problem bar staff were very helpful thanks Thomas and Daily
perfect right at the traian and metro stations and taxi stop

Room Tip: no bad rooms
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Siberian-gerry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Look no further if you are staying in Vienna. This hotel is not in the main centre but is only a 10 minute metro journey. the Hotel itself is ultra modern and double rooms can be got for as little as €69 per night. It has a great bar beside reception also. Very noticeable that there has been great thought put into the design of this hotel for comfort and attention to detail is quite apparent. I was on a business trip but will definitely be returning to this hotel for a weekend break with the wife in the near future. Any bad reviews about this place are I believe totally unjustified and give the wrong impression completely. Also, it is right beside the train station giving access to all of Europe!!!! The trains go everywhere from here!!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank rayoconnor
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked this hotel on a leading travel website because of it's location, price, newness and it advertised it's rooms as air-conditioned. Upon entering my room which was located on the top floor (5th Floor), I noticed how stifling hot the room was. So, I turned what I thought was air-conditioning (AC) to the cool the room. No such luck. The rooms are not air-condtioned or cooled. They mean air-conditioned as heat only. The hotel building is brand new and very clean and modern. But the rooms were at least 79-80 degrees farenheit and were not able to be cooled. Needless to say, I checked out within 8 hrours of arriving and paid extra money and upgraded to Novotel Wien City. Smart move.I could not sleep because of the heat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank cmhohioman
Kiryat gat, Israel
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We came to this hotel for 5 nights as a part of our Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest trip.
We booked this hotel because it was highly rated in TripAdvisor and relatively cheap for Vienna.
The location is good, near Westbahnhof so it's comfortable to move around through your visit by U bahn or international trains and you don't have to walk with your luggage.
There's also a pretty good mall inside the Bahnhof (DM, supermarket, Deichmann, clothes, fast food...everything!), I enjoyed shopping there.
The hotel is big, I'm not used to big hotels in Europe, tidy and looks pretty new.
BUT
I have few things to say. I don't think I had high expectations, just the usual things I can find in any European hotel.
1. They don't have minibar. I don't eat or drink from it but use it as a refrigerator for food . And they don't have that. So in case you wanna eat in the hotel things you buy at the supermarket - it's impossible. (Or keep refrigerated drugs...)
2. The breakfast is standard and ok (salami, ham, boiled eggs, croisons, buns, butter, hot and cold drinks, cucumber and tomato. fruit salad, yogurts...) but it's the SAME every morning, they don't change ANYTHING. So unless you love all this particular food, you'll want something else after eating it twice. Somethig that bothered me a little - you cannot peel the boiled eggs! the egg falls apart. They forget to put it in cold water or something. Really bothers me dealing with "unpeelable" eggs. But maybe it's just me...
3. They barely give you a soap. The only thing they give you in the beginning is 2 little bottles of a general shampoo-soap-everything fluid (great smelling though), and refill just one each day. My boyfriend used it and it wasn't enough.
No body lotion, no shampoo, no shower cap, no ear cleaning things...
4. Although it is October in Vienna, inside the hotel was really hot. We wanted to use the air conditioning but it didn't work. When we asked the receptionist about it she said that it's not so hot and it's not so cold, so they turned it off. There are warm blankets and really hot inside, and it's difficult to sleep that way. We opened the window but it was noisy...
5. It's really crowded on the weekend at the breakfast time (8:30-9:30), and hard to find a place to sit, although the waiters clean really fast.
6. Somehow the receptionists aren't that nice to you...

The good things:
1. Clean and tidy.
2.Great hairdryer (for those who need it)
3.Nice soap. But too little.
4. Quiet although in a central location.
5. WiFi in the rooms - free with a code, but just for one devise. So if you have laptop and smartphone - you can use the WiFi on one of them only.
6. Great towels! Fluffy and white.
7.Great coffee machines at breakfast, have a great variety of hot drinks!
8. Quick check inn and check out.
9. Great shower! Big and clean.

So I will give this hotel 3 stars, mostly because I really need a mini bar in a room and cannot sleep well when it's hot. If this doesn't bother you -it's a moderate hotel with a lot of rooms, and it is cheap for Vienne and has a good location.

Room Tip: The windows are good so It's quiet everywhere unless you open them
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank InnaMiznikov
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed in this property for 1 night in Sep 12. Overall it was a good stay and I recommend this place.

Pro:
- Clean, modern, comfortable bed
- Location near train station, metro and tram. Also near to ATMs and shops. However it was far from the old town centre
- Can store luggage before check in
- Value for money
- :Have air con, lcd tv
- good water pressure
- linens provided

Cons:
- No early check in (not sure whether its policy or just my bad luck)
- Free Wifi only available at the lobby and even that was a bit on and off. Need to pay extra for the in room wifi. For some reason from their ad I got the impression that it would be throughout the hotel (not sure whether it’s just me who misunderstood)
- Reception seems to be understaffed as need to wait for a 10 mins or so each time you want to store/take from luggage room (I store it before check in and after check out

If you find my review helpful, appreciate if you can press that "helpful" vote. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Ti_Chan
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed October 8, 2012

A new stylish hotel with very poor facilities. It's locate near Westbahnhof Station, (train and metro). The breakfast was ok but nothing special.
No telephone at the rooms,the only way to communicate with hotel staff is to queue at reception, no mini bar and soap for hands, The rooms are quiet with double facing windows.
The staff was friendly but they don't give you any information or help about the sights or tour in Vienna.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Seleari M
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was bitterly disappointed with this hotel – and deeply grateful we were only spending one night there. Yes it is extremely elegant. I take design much too seriously, and there's no faulting the design at this hotel. But the unpleasant discoveries start soon after check-in (which itself took more than 20 minutes, thank to the hordes of other people queuing at the check-in desk. We'd soon find out why).

It was a boiling late-September day in Vienna. When we got to the room – which was even hotter than the street outside – we went straight for the air con. Except that it didn't work. I wanted to phone reception to report this problem, but there's no phone in the room! So back down to reception, where there was another 20-minute queue. Not everyone is checking in, you see. The only way to communicate with hotel staff is to queue at reception.

When I got to the front, I was told that there isn't actually a problem with my room's air con. The previous week was quite cold, you see, so the air con now only works for heating. If I switch it to 25C, it will start working. But I don't want the room to be 25C, I said. I want it to be cold. Well that just can't happen. The entire building's air con is now set to heating mode, and it will be like that until March or April, at which point it will be set to cold again. (What happens if you visit Vienna in spring during a late cold snap? You'll have no heating, that's what.)

And then the person at reception actually suggested that, to cool down the room, I sleep with the window open. Really? You mean the window that looks out on four lanes of traffic, a massive tram stop and all of Vienna West railway station? That's guaranteed to give me a great night's sleep! (I did open the window to check. I will say that its soundproofing is truly excellent.)

We had breakfast, which was €7.50 and included "free" wi-fi. Like the rest of the hotel, the breakfast area was incredibly stylish, but overrun with people (with whom you have to share a table). It felt a bit like having breakfast on the Starship Enterprise – and not in a good way.

The large billboard outside the hotel (and the website) advertises rooms from €69 a night. We paid €159 because there was a conference in town. (A useful policy for the hotel: this is Vienna, where there is almost always a conference in town.) Had we paid just €69 for the room, I might have gritted my teeth and figured you get what you pay for. But if you pay €159, I'd like some air con, please, and a telephone, so I can phone the hotel when there's a problem.

Avoid avoid avoid.

Room Tip: If it's the middle of summer or winter, a street view would be nice. If it's spring or autum...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple