“Corporate but comfortable and central”
Review of Hilton Vienna

Ranked #111 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
GreenLeadersGold level
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Corporate but comfortable and central”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I had read the other reviews on TA before going to the Hilton, and I found them very accurate overall. The hotel is undeniably comfortable, clean, very pleasant, central and safe. The lobby is much more attractive than photographs imply and the beds are extraordinarily comfortable. The hotel is almost inside the central station, it's simply that close, and there's plenty to see right on the doorstep, including the excellent near-by Cafe Pruckel. There are ATMs and late-opening supermarkets and take-aways close by.

Even though I've never stayed in a four or five star hotel before, though, I'd say that the bathrooms are strangely small and underequipped compared to the other facilities. It seems like a bizarre sense of priorities to have an anti-fog mirror, telephone and speakers for the TV in the bathroom whilst the shower and hairdryer are rather old-fashioned and low-powered. The shower was blisteringly hot on the lowest setting with some rather exciting and unexpected temperature fluctuations. The service is rather perfunctory and whilst the breakfast buffet is overwhelmingly comprehensive and excellent, the staff on duty in the restaurant for breakfast seem distracted and overworked.

For our stay, we were given a room on the 8th floor - one of the top floors that can be accessed without booking a suite or being a member of the Hilton's rewards programme, as I understand it - which we were very impressed with, although this seemed to entail that the room had been previously assigned to and set up for a single traveller. There was an envelope addressed to someone else on the desk when we arrived, that had mysteriously disappeared when we came back in later (not especially comforting), and only one robe for two of us. It was probably a very small price to pay for the lovely view, though!

Probably the greatest disappointment is the wifi coverage. As other reviews note, there is no free wifi access in rooms, and frankly the lobby wifi was slow and patchy, in addition to which it is necessary to get a new code from the desk every eight hours. Wifi isn't really a luxury so much as a necessary facility nowadays - it strikes me as a cynical move designed to get business travellers to charge wifi access to their expense account. It's also worth noting that there is no pool and that the spa area is only open at rather strange hours - 6-10am and 6-10pm, roughly, at time of writing - which clearly might suit a business customer but not a leisure customer.

Overall I can't imagine paying the standard room rate for the additional level of comfort and convenience afforded by the Hilton in particular, but I cannot imagine that you would have a bad experience in the hotel and if expense isn't a concern or you can get a good deal, I would strongly recommend it for a short break. It may have a corporate feel but really nothing is more romantic than a good night's sleep in a giant, fluffy bed!

Room Tip: You would need a room on about the 7th floor or above to see out over the Vienna skyline.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hoteldirektor, Manager at Hilton Vienna, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us of your recent visit at the Hilton Vienna.

With pleasure I read that you overall did enjoy your stay with us and that you especially appreciated the location of our property.

Coming back to the rest of your evaluation however, I was very sorry to learn that we could not entirely meet your expectations.

At the same time I greatly appreciate your valuable comments especially regarding the hot water in your room.
Please allow me to first of all express my sincere apology about the fluctuating water temperature. I have already asked our chief engineer to look into this matter in order to fix possible problems immediately.

As for the size of the bathroom I am very sorry if this has inconvenienced your stay with us. Allow me to explain that our hotel offers different room categories which also provide differently sized bathrooms. Perhaps our team can assist you during a future reservation to better meet your needs.
I would also kindly like to inform you that we are more than happy to deliver more toiletries and amenities, upon request and I am very sorry if you were given a different impression.

In regards to your evaluation on the Breakfast Service I sincerely apologize for the described experiences made and I truly regret if that has clouded your stay with us.
Allow me to assure you that I have personally evaluated this matter with the respective department head in order to avoid such re-occurrences in the future.

Further to your feedback regarding the Internet I am truly sorry if this has negatively influenced your trip. Please allow me to explain however, that a Hilton wide change was in progress and that free Internet stations are thereof offered in our public areas since February 2013. Within our public areas free wireless internet access is already offered since Jan 1st, 2013.

I may assure you that it is Hilton’s top priority to meet all our travelers’ needs also in this regard and please rest assured that your feedback does not stay unheard.

Dear Guest, thank you once again for your valuable time and comments which help us to constantly review our services and to better adjust them to our guest needs.

I would be delighted to welcome you back to the Hilton Vienna in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Devon
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here for four nights at the end of our trip around Europe. It was ideally located opposite the train station and even considering its location, was very quite.

Check in was very quick and easy and the staff were very friend and helpful. We were given a corner room which was very spacious but did not seem to have enough furniture in it but it was comfortable. The room was very tired and in need of some decoration. I found the bed to be too hard and not comfortable to sleep on however my husband thought it was ok.

We had breakfast included so the hotel was good value for money. The breakfast was very good with an excellent choice of food. The chef would cook omlettes fresh.

The hotel was ideally located with just a short walk into the centre.

However, on the last night there was a coach load of children turn up and you could hear them running up and down the corridors and screaming until the early hours of the morning and again from about 6 o'clock. We did complain to reception but not sure whether anything was done about it as we were leaving that morning.

Would I stay here again - probably not as I need a bed which is a lot more comfortable and quieter corridors.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DieselJems
Sun City Center, Florida
Reviewed September 23, 2013

All of the reviews here give a good summary of the Hilton Vienna. It is clean and bright, does lack some of the charm of a smaller possibly independent hotel.

I get the impression this hotel is set up more for the business traveller. Especially when you charge $25 a day for wi-fi which is usually free in most places these days.

The hotel is in a good central location and there is a giant mall across the streets with everything from a grocery store, to a discount department store, to an H&M and many small shops.

I wouldn't say it is charming, but Vienna is a business centre and this hotel is perfect for the business traveller.

Plano, United States
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Vienna Hilton exceeded all our expectations. The location is superb, the staff very focused on guests, Executive Lounge and facilities excellent. Spacious lobby, good restaurant and menu, great bar area. A nice surprise was the non-fogging mirror in the bath after a shower.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I enjoyed staying here. Its centrally located. The breakfast was good. The rooms were excellent. Its a short walk to the main old city. There is a convenient mall located right next to it. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hoteldirektor, Manager at Hilton Vienna, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for posting this great review on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that we made your stay an enjoyable one and that you very much appreciated our location and rooms.

Thank you once again for your time and I sincerely hope to welcome you back to the Hilton Vienna in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel has a great location, one step to the metro and trainstations and just a couple of minutes away from Vienna's most important attractions. The staff is very friendly and helpful and they solve everything in the blink of an eye. We spent our honeymoon there and we received a nice welcome, with sparkling wine and strawberries in the room.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We visited Vienna few weeks ago and we stayed for 4 days at the Hilton Vienna. The hotel is nice and clean, and the servers are helpful and polite. Centrally located, It is 10 min walk to the Stephanplatz, downtown. Also, right in front of the hotel there are some stores where you can buy whatever you need and the train station if you need a ride to the airport (CAT). Last year we stayed at Hilton Vienna Plaza, which is also nice, but due to this hotel's perfect location, we will come back to this one.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this fantastic review regarding your recent visit at the Hilton Vienna.

I was thrilled to read that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and I would be delighted to welcome you back again soon.