I had read the other reviews on TA before going to the Hilton, and I found them very accurate overall. The hotel is undeniably comfortable, clean, very pleasant, central and safe. The lobby is much more attractive than photographs imply and the beds are extraordinarily comfortable. The hotel is almost inside the central station, it's simply that close, and there's plenty to see right on the doorstep, including the excellent near-by Cafe Pruckel. There are ATMs and late-opening supermarkets and take-aways close by.
Even though I've never stayed in a four or five star hotel before, though, I'd say that the bathrooms are strangely small and underequipped compared to the other facilities. It seems like a bizarre sense of priorities to have an anti-fog mirror, telephone and speakers for the TV in the bathroom whilst the shower and hairdryer are rather old-fashioned and low-powered. The shower was blisteringly hot on the lowest setting with some rather exciting and unexpected temperature fluctuations. The service is rather perfunctory and whilst the breakfast buffet is overwhelmingly comprehensive and excellent, the staff on duty in the restaurant for breakfast seem distracted and overworked.
For our stay, we were given a room on the 8th floor - one of the top floors that can be accessed without booking a suite or being a member of the Hilton's rewards programme, as I understand it - which we were very impressed with, although this seemed to entail that the room had been previously assigned to and set up for a single traveller. There was an envelope addressed to someone else on the desk when we arrived, that had mysteriously disappeared when we came back in later (not especially comforting), and only one robe for two of us. It was probably a very small price to pay for the lovely view, though!
Probably the greatest disappointment is the wifi coverage. As other reviews note, there is no free wifi access in rooms, and frankly the lobby wifi was slow and patchy, in addition to which it is necessary to get a new code from the desk every eight hours. Wifi isn't really a luxury so much as a necessary facility nowadays - it strikes me as a cynical move designed to get business travellers to charge wifi access to their expense account. It's also worth noting that there is no pool and that the spa area is only open at rather strange hours - 6-10am and 6-10pm, roughly, at time of writing - which clearly might suit a business customer but not a leisure customer.
Overall I can't imagine paying the standard room rate for the additional level of comfort and convenience afforded by the Hilton in particular, but I cannot imagine that you would have a bad experience in the hotel and if expense isn't a concern or you can get a good deal, I would strongly recommend it for a short break. It may have a corporate feel but really nothing is more romantic than a good night's sleep in a giant, fluffy bed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Featuring contemporary decor, the award-winning Hilton Vienna hotel is one of Austria's premier hotels. Set in the heart of Vienna, the hotel is just 16 minutes from Vienna International Airport by the city airport train. The main sights and most fashionable shopping streets are within walking distance.Relax in our comfortable guest rooms and enjoy a high standard of amenities. Located on the higher floors of the hotel, the Executive rooms offer breathtaking views over Vienna and exclusive Executive Lounge access with complimentary continental breakfast, drinks and snacks. Upgrade to a bright suite for extra space and excellent views from the private balcony. Try innovative Austrian cuisine on the alfresco terrace of S'PARKS restaurant or enjoy Austrian wines and Viennese coffees at the Lobby Bar & Lounge at this Vienna hotel. Work out in the well-equipped gym or unwind in the sauna, steam bath and relaxation area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Hilton Vienna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Vienna Hotel Vienna
- Hilton International Vienna
- Vienna Hilton International