“Great location and great place!”
Review of Hotel Royal

Hotel Royal
Ranked #105 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great location and great place!”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Traveling as a young adult, I recommend this hotel. It is very quiet, very clean and very nice. Breakfast is a plus. Hotel room is a little small compared to the average American hotel chains, but it is all you need. The location is perfect. It is literally footsteps away from St. Stephens Cathedral and the city centre. Highly recommended! And the price is very good. Very reasonable.

Room Tip: I booked in March, before the high travel season. Room rates was about $100 a night - $115 a night...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Philip P
valimatzi, Owner at Hotel Royal, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Guest Philip P,

thank you very much for taking the time and writing about your experience in our hotel.
We are very happy that you had a great time and are looking forward to welcoming you soon again!
I will be happy to assist you with your booking directly

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is the 3e time we stayed in this hotel (in 2008 and in 2006) Besides all critics (!?! old not all renovated) the hotel is very good situated down town citycentre. The Cathedral is around the corner, the opera is 10 minute walk. Graben (mainshoppingstreet) is at your feet. It's a classic hotel, breakfasttime is busy in the restaurant (very cosy). The hotelbed (ours) was very low and a bit hard. the pillows very soft. Go for the original and real "Wiener schnitzel" to restaurant Figlmuller at Wollzeile 5. Coffeebreak at Restaurant Central at Palais Ferstel (corner Herrengasse). Schonnbrunn is from the subwaystation 15minute from downtown. If possible go the week before Christmas. Go to the Christmas mart in Rathauspark (in the evening). TIP: surf on the net for Christmas Vienna and the pictures!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dax2012
valimatzi, Owner at Hotel Royal, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear Guest Dax 2012,

thank for recommending our Hotel Royal. We always try to satisfy our customers and it is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We really hope to see you again this year in our Hotel Royal.

Your Kremslehner Family
Israel
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel is situated on the pedestrian zone by two underground lines and a very short walking distance from most attractions. Rooms are very large in European standards, rennovated, airconditioned and spotless. Breakfast was good although variety could improve. Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Merav A
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2012

As a lone and cheap traveler, I often depend on the kindness of strangers. I went into Hotel Royal to use the wifi to contact my host in Vienna. Though the concierge did not realize at first that I was not staying at the hotel, he continued to let me use the wifi and invited me to sit down even after finding out. He also gave me a map and directions to my host. Traveling for two weeks now, I have met many people who were not interested in helping me, even with late at night with no way to contact anyone without internet. It was very refreshing to come across someone helpful even when not a client. He did not do any of this begrudgingly, or attempt to shame me at all. I prefer hospitality exchange websites, but when I visit Vienna and have the money, I just may stay here out of gratitude. I will certainly be recommending the place to others

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank DelapierceD
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I am a travel agent and recommend hotels to my clients going to Europe all the time. The reason I have rated this hotel so lowly is because I didn't get to STAY in the hotel even though I booked it!

I booked the hotel the day before arrival and turned up at Hotel Royal to be told that the hotel was overbooked and I have been rebooked in their sister hotel (along with 2 other groups of people) - which is further out of the city! I was in Vienna for 1 night and had chosen the hotel purely on location.

The hotel paid for a taxi from the Hotel Royal to Hotel Regina - a whole 7 Euros and the price difference between the 2 hotels is 30 Euros. When checking into the Hotel Regina, I was given 2 chocolate Lindt Balls to say sorry and that was it. They didn't even offer to take my bag up to my room, just showed me where the elevators were.

As I didn't stay at the hotel, I can't tell you what it was like but the reception area looked nice. I would recommend that anyone who books to stay here, calls the hotel before arrival to ensure their room is definitely booked as I had read another review yesterday when booking from someone else saying they had been moved hotels too.

Good Luck!

Room Tip: Call ahead if you book to ensure your booking is confirmed or they might send you to their sister ho...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Tash W
, Owner at Hotel Royal, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Guest Tash W,

thank you for taking time to comment your stay in Vienna.

We are really sorry for this situation!
We would like to apologize that we could not accomodate you at the Hotel Royal
!
We tried to do our best in moving you to our sister Hotel Regina and to find a equal solution for you!
The relocation to the Hotel Regina seemed to be the best alternative in these circumstances, as the Graben Hotel was fully booked as well.

From the Hotel Regina to the first district and the innere city centre of Vienna is only about 300 metres, a few minutes walk and the subway nearby the hotel takes you easily to all tourist attractions of Vienna.

We apologize once again for thid matter and hope you will give us a second chance to prove our professionalism!

For the next time we will promise you to guarantee your booking! Please contact me directly to assist you with your next reservation.

Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed June 25, 2012

As other reviewers mentioned it, the location cannot be beaten. It is literally feet away from the main pedestrian artery of the city and St. Stephen's cathedral, and short walks away from all the major landmarks (Opera House, Hofburg Palace, Albertina Museum, etc.). The rooms are surprisingly large for a European hotel, the personnel is very friendly and helpful and the breakfast is excellent!
The only minus (not enough to downgrade the rating!) is that if you drive, there is no convenient parking (not surprising for an old city such as Vienna). The hotel offers valet service which is not very cheap, plus you have to wait for the car 10-15 minutes every time you want to go somewhere. Other than that everything is indeed excellent!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank unhappysadtraveler
, Owner at Hotel Royal, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Guest Unhappysadtraveler,

thank you for your kind feedback posted on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments and I am pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
You are right,it is a little bit difficult to find a parking place, but a few minutes walk and the subway nearby the hotel takes our guests to all famous tourist attraction of Vienna.

Thank you for recommending our hotel!

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and if we could help you personally with your next booking

San Diego, California
Reviewed June 17, 2012

It would be difficult to be any more centrally located than the Hotel Royal is, only a 2 minute walk from the Metro right around the corner from St. Stephen's Cathedral. There are plenty of restaurants within easy walking distance, and a grocery store across the street as well. Also, most sight seeing attractions are within walking distance. The staff at the front desk was good for the most part, but the breakfast buffet staff was outstanding with food to match. Overall a good stay, and we would return here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Arjay1970
valimatzi, Owner at Hotel Royal, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Guest RJC,

thank you for your nice feedback and for taking the time to comment your stay at the Hotel Royal!

It is really a pleasure for us to get such nice comments.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay in Vienna, we always try to increase our service.

All the more we appreciate your kind words and will forward them to our staff !

We would be very glad to welcome you soon again in our Hotel and would love to assist you with your next booking personally.