“Not Next Time”

Ranked #33 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Hobart, Australia
“Not Next Time”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This delightful hotel could not be in a better location with plenty of shops and restaurants close by and quite near to the glorious St Stephens cathedral. The bed was typically a trifle firm and the pillows too soft but all was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was the best encountered throughout Europe with a roomy shower which had extremely sensible non-slip floor tiles plus a grab rail, proving excellent for an elderly person. Breakfast was a very good buffet selection enjoyed in a pleasant dining room. Single rooms are not equipped with tea/coffee making facilities which is a shame but not a major issue. Overall this was a lovely place to stay in Vienna and well deserving of its star rating. However, as an elderly solo woman traveler I was treated with a degree of arrogance by two of the male reception staff which left me quite unnerved. One, in response to a polite simple request, answered brusquely, almost to the point of rudeness, which rather took me aback. The second instance occurred when it came to paying my account and I dared to ask why my acceptance of their offer of a small single room @ 75 Euros per night B&B had been confirmed at the much higher rate of 138 Euros without any explanation or my agreement. Well, hectoring is hardly a strong enough word for the response I received! Bear in mind I had paid my account and was not complaining about the room which was lovely, I was just trying to understand why my acceptance of their offer of a small single room @ 75 Euros per night B&B had become something else entirely. I was forcibly instructed that I had booked online (yes, on the hotel's own website) and nothing could be changed online and did I not understand that? No, I didn't understand it and I still don't and my question remains unanswered. I cannot help feeling that this reaction would not have been given to any male traveler. Throughout my month long sojourn in Europe this was the only instance of unpleasantness to which I was subjected. When I return to Vienna next year for a much longer
visit I will be booking elsewhere, hopefully, where I will be accorded the same degree of respect and courtesy given any paying guest regardless of age and infirmity!

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Merrybells
Klindert, Manager at Kaiserin Elisabeth, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your valuation. It seems that you have been very satisfied during your stay with us, but obviously with one exception, which only can be a big misunderstanding. Through our own website it is possible to book either a singleroom including or excluding the breakfast buffet. The rate including the breakfast for 2013 is maximum EUR 138,- depending on the season. The room for EUR 75,- is not offered through the internet as we have only 3 rooms of that special room category. We have tried to find out further details about your reservation just to make sure that no irregularity happened, but unfortunately without your guest name or at least the date of your stay it is impossible to retrace. We can assure you that all accounts are done correctly, it makes no difference if you have done your reservation directly with us, via our website or through any other channel in the internet. Within our cancellation/change policy, any changes or even a cancellation can be done. So if you decide to change your room type, which brings as well a change in your room rate, it is absolutely no problem. So whatever rate has been confirmed will be charged finally on your departure. For us it is not quite clear what happened, and we want to ensure that no irregularity has happened here.
Please may we kindly ask you to contact us directly in order to find out further information. My direct e-mail account is andrea.holland@kaiserinelisabeth.at
With kind regards from Vienna
HOTEL KAISERIN ELISABETH
Andrea Holland
Marketing & Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Maine
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Kaiserin Elisabeth for three nights in late September, 2013. The location is superb, our room was large and extremely quiet, the service was terrific, and the front desk staff without peer. We were two blocks from St. Stephen's, a five minute walk to the Opera House , and even less to the main castle sights.

We had intended to stay there last year but an emergency prevented us from going. They were very accommodating at that time and we made sure we would stay here when we came this year. Our stay could not have been better. We travel a fair bit. I would put this near the top of our hotel experiences and would recommend it without qualification.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stephen G
Ontario
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Old world charm with all the modern conveniences, intriguing history, exceptional staff, great location, "wow" room...I almost wanted to keep this one a secret, in case it's sold out for our next trip! We stayed four nights in September, and it was by far the nicest stop on our three week journey. Just a block from main attractions and shopping, yet quiet and relaxing when the busy days were done. Staff were extremely knowledgeable and helpful with directions, recommendations, reservations, travel arrangements and more. Breakfast is plentiful, with good service and lots of choices. Our room, a "standard double" was anything but standard -- huge bedroom, luxurious bathroom, even a small sitting room -- at a price that is reasonable by European standards. The only thing missing is a bar or lounge for an end-of-day drink, but with so many options just steps away, it's hardly an inconvenience. (Try the little Italian bar/restaurant right next door; they let us take glasses of wine to our room, trusting us to return the glassware.) All in all, the hotel is wonderful, and contributed to warm memories of Vienna.

Room Tip: Rooms away from street would be quieter, yet even with windows open, noise was only a problem one mo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WineLoverOttawa
Dubai, UAE
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was our first visit to Vienna and we stayed at this hotel based on recommendations on TripAdvisor. We agree with all of the reviews. The location is perfect for touring the historical sites of Vienna. The hotel service and staff were excellent. The breakfast buffet each morning was very nice. The hotel was completely booked and we encountered only one day when we had to wait for a table. We used the hotel's chauffeur service to and from the airport. This service was on time and very professional. The only negative feedback on the hotel is no bar/lounge or restaurant in the hotel. There are however, plenty of bars and restaurants within the same block of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank captmorgan1Dubai
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This was my second stay, previously a week in April 1986.
This time for two weeks.
As the trip was very important in terms of my family background, the service I received was greatly appreciated and I intend to return for another two weeks next year.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank William T
Dubai
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Central location, lovely hotel, large room, friendly staff - all that one would want in a hotel during a holiday. The location is perfect, just off Kartnerstrasse, the main shopping street. This means that all the tourist spots in the city centre are within walking distance. The metro is close by, as are many cafes. The breakfast could do with a little more variety, but I guess that's a matter of opinion. Overall, the perfect choice for a short holiday in Vienna!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were thrilled with our choice of hotel. Our room (a Superior Double room) was bright and airy. The paintwork and soft furnishings were in pristine condition. I had asked for a quiet room at the back and this request was met. The King bed was large and comfortable. There was a desk with chair plus 2 more chairs and a small table. There was ample cupboard space with shelves and plenty of coat hangers. There was a good long mirror and in the well lit bathroom there was a small make up mirror which I always appreciate. The bathroom also had ample bench area to put toiletries on. There was a shower as well as a large bath. The shower had good pressure. They don't supply soaps but use soap dispensers so if you like soap, as I do, bring your own. Also they don't supply face washers so bring your own if that is important to you. The hairdryer was fairly useless and I was glad I had brought my own.
We found the service excellent although I must say, I had booked a transfer through the hotel and no one was there to meet us at the airport after our 27 hour flight which was a bit of a downer! We rang the Hotel and they were very apologetic about the mix-up and sent a taxi straight away.
We found the location of the hotel fantastic. This is a really important factor for us when choosing a hotel. It makes for a relaxing holiday when all sights and transport are close by. It may cost more to stay in the centre of cities but it is worth it. We only had 4 nights in this wonderful city and didn't want to waste time commuting to the centre all the time.
The breakfast room was lovely and there was plenty of choice.
We found Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth a fantastic choice for us. The room and facilities were big enough so that we could spread out and store all our luggage and possessions rather than live out of a suitcase (because there's nowhere to put anything!)
We would definitely stay there again if we were ever lucky enough to visit Vienna again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple