In late September 2012 we stayed at the Kaiserin Elisabeth Vienna for 3 nights, it was the tail end of the peak season, we paid Euro 216 per night (room 204) which included breakfast for 2. The windows open right up and and you can watch the goings on in the street below. Our room was large with high ceilings, bathroom was massive, housekeeping was spotless.
Wifi internet was free and fast. Modern appliances, TV, bar fridge, etc.
The hotel is near the corner of Karntner Strasse which is the main pedestrian shopping mall / promenade. At the back of the hotel is a Billa Supermarket, cafes and restaurants are all around.
Two outstanding features of the Kaiserin are;
1/ The breakfast buffet and the ladies who run it, great selection of hot/cold dishes, fast service, professional and friendly, worth every cent.
2/ The hotel's central location, right in the middle of the old Innerin Stadt (Inner City) just off Stephansplatz, near the Stephansdorm Cathedral. The Cathedral spire is a great reference point to find your way back to the hotel if you get a bit lost, just find a clear view and look up.
The hotel is only a few paces from the Stephansplatz U1/U3 underground rail station and a short walk to the trams. Suggest you also buy a 24 hour ticket for 9 Euros for the Yellow Ring Tram and take advantage of the hop on/off feature to see where all of the museums, galleries, mansions, palaces, theatres, etc, are. Many articles reckon Vienna has the best public transport in the world, we would agree but the plain clothes ticket inspectors are everywhere, buy the right ticket and validate at the gate or vending machine prior to use.
The central location of the hotel also means it is close to some great places to eat and drink.
We liked, 12 Apostle Keller (great wine, ancient underground cellars), Aida Konditorei (sensational cafe, cakes, chocolates), Renthalers Beisl (Traditional Austrian pub), 1516 Brewing Company (fresh beer, modern menu). For a breakfast or lunch meal try the Naschmarkt, this market is above the Kettenbruckengasse U4 station not far away. Don't forget to try a Wurstl Stand in the street, buy a sausage and beer and stand up at the counter with the locals, there are several near the hotel.
One down side of our stay was some bad advice we received from a hotel concierge, we asked for some specific directions and transport advice to a particular outer suburb/town, showed him or 3 day ticket, he advised us "Your ticket is good for everything but the horses!" based on that, we hopped on a outer suburban bus with the wrong ticket, got nabbed by a plain clothes inspector, got fined 100 Euro. Worst thing was the concierge later denied giving us that advice. Once again, beware of the transport inspectors.
Hope this helps.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You will find the HOTEL KAISERIN ELISABETH directly in the city center of Vienna, just next to the famous pedestrian zone the Kärntnerstraße and the Graben, only a few steps from St. Stephan`s Cathedral.Our 63 non-smoking rooms are located on four floors. Each room provides bathroom/shower and WC, and is equipped with satellite-TV, flatscreen TV, telephone, radio, minibar, roomsafe, internetaccessW-Lan (free of charge for our guests), and air-condition. Smoking is allowed in an own separate area in our breakfast room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Kaiserin Elisabeth reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kaiserin Elisabeth Vienna
- Kaiserin Elisabeth Hotel Vienna