“The best there is......”
Review of Kaiserin Elisabeth

Kaiserin Elisabeth
Ranked #32 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed July 1, 2011

This is the second time we stayed at the Kaiserin Elisabeth and no praise is high enough for everyone and everything the hotel can offer. Our stay at the hotel was an absolute joy. The location of the hotel could not be more central, which my being quite elderly is of importance to me. Our room was spotless with a more than adequate bathroom. Although we had been warned of building works adjacent to the hotel were being carried, they did not cause us any inconvenience. The public lounge area was comfortable and more than adequate to receive visits from our friends. The breakfasts I believe catered to anyone's choice and taste and their staff could not have been more attentive.

The courtesy and services provided to us, my son, daughter and myself, by each and every member of staff, be it at the front desk, waitresses, chambermaids, porters etc.etc. deserve high praise. I hope that sooner rather than later we shall have the opportunity to make another booking at the Kaiserin Elisabeth.

3  Thank Doona4

Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed here at the end of March. I'd seen okay reviews but my friend & I had waited too long to reserve a hotel and this one had a good location near Stephensdom. The initial greeting was friendly upon arrival but it all went downhill from there.

The heating in the room was horrid. The first night I woke up several times because the room got way too hot. I told the front desk the next morning and they sent someone to repair it. That lasted one night and by the third night (of four total) I was suffering again.

When I asked the front desk for train info to go to Bratislava, he said "Why would anyone want to go to Bratislava?" Christian (the desk occupier) was bruque and generally dismissive. I shouldn't have to give reasons for why I want to go to certain places & I certainly didn't need his attitude. But wait, there's more!

The next afternoon, I was pickpocketed by gypsies inside Pizza Bisi. I lost a considerable amount of money and was naturally distressed. I didn't even realize what happened until I arrived in my room & took out my empty wallet. The thieving gypsies had empty my cash compartment but were kind enough to leave me my ATM card. When I went down to the front desk, I asked Christian how to get to the police station. When I told him how much had been stolen, he said I should not have carried around so much money! Thanks for the late advice, pal! Then he said "some" people make false theft reports in order to collect insurance. I tried explaining to him that my insurance wouldn't cover such a theft but he was unable to follow the bouncing ball. The policeman at the station was even dimmer. Word of advice: avoid Vienna but if you must go, be very careful and consider yourself on your own.

When checking out, I asked the clerk who was one I hadn't seen before who the brusque clerk was that I had dealt with earlier. He told me this was Christian and then asked why I needed to know. It turned out this was the hotel manager, Mr. Johnny Pour. He was very sympathetic but the curious thing was he said he'd almost been robbed at Pizza Bisi too! It seems like warnings to hotel residents might be in order, yes? Anyway, Mr. pour told me he would look into what I said and get back to me. It took over 6 weeks and his email contained no info on my problems with Christian. All in all, a complete waste of time.

In conclusion, this hotel has NOTHING to recommend it. The expensive breakfast was fair to poor, the rooms were badly heated and the staff stinks. It's a must to avoid!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank glencar11787
klindert, Marketing & Sales at Kaiserin Elisabeth, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2011

Dear Mr. Ahearn,
first of all we would like to thank you for your feedback.

Unfortunately you have experienced a very bad situation in Vienna. One of the worst things that can happen, when you are travelling abroad ... you have been pickpocketed. We understand that this circumstance can influence a whole journey.

Please let us summerize following details as well.

For your information both the heating and also our aircondition can be adjusted in each room individually on your own.Might be that depending on the outside temperature, the heating was installed too high, but very easy you could have turned it down.
We have had already a talk to our front desk staff, that they should not comment any wishes or questions from ou rguests. This might maybe end in misunderstandings, which can have happened in your situation, but please be assured that this was definately not in a bad intenstion. We apologize once you felt his statement unpolite.

The price for our breakfastbuffet, which is available between 07:00 - 11:00, is EUR 12,-- per person. Which we find is quite fair, also in comparison to other hotels close to us down town in the city center. Bread rolls, pastries, croissants and cakes are backed fresh every day by our staff. You can find a variety of everything on our buffet, sweets, salties, fruits, vegetables, eggs in a different way done every day etc ...
Many different species of ham and sausages, hard- and soft cheese, "müsli", joghuts etc ...
Even in the morning we prepare the typical viennese famous sweet "Kaiserscharr`n" for our guests.

Unfortunately we did not get any positve feedback from the policestation, and sadly this takes soemetimes quite a long time, but this has not been in our responsibility.
Please be assured, that we assist our guests especially in such an awkward situation as much as we can.

Dear Mr. Ahearn, we are very sorry for your experiences you have made in Vienna.

HOTEL KAISERIN ELISABETH
Andrea Holland
Marketing & Sales

Reviewed June 28, 2011

The best front desk service EVER welcomed us as we arrive in Vienna. These guys bent over backwards to find us amazing restaurants, and gave us walking routes to all things tourist-y and not. A very large room and bathroom, all well-laid out, with windows that looked over the sunroof over the lobby. This was so quiet for a place on the edge of the pedestrian-only area, great when you want to sleep at night in a place where lots of folks carry on into the evening. A really comfy bed for us and our 11-year old, with mini bar and hot pot to make coffee/tea. Included breakfast was not only fantastic ( pastries to die for!) it was also open until 11, unlike 10am for most other hotels. This allowed us to take a bit more time getting around each morning. Literally on the edge of the pedestrian-only area, you can walk easily to any Vienna attraction. We also took the subway twice, and this spot was about 100 yards from the entrance. I can’t say enough about the front desk staff they recommended two restaurants and made calls for us, once about 20 minutes before we wanted to arrive, late on a busy night right before a holiday. These were restaurants we never would have found on our own. It appeared that a co-located restaurant was once open but now closed for renovations. No worries, plenty of places to eat a stones throw away. Would definitely recommend this place – a great value for so many reasons.

1  Thank Bev A
Reviewed June 25, 2011

The best thing about this hotel is the large, elegant bedrooms with double doors, high ceilings and proper furniture instead of hotel-kit sets. The location is very central and the staff are helpful and friendly. We had a very pleasant stay here; the only thing missing was a kettle in the rooms.

1  Thank James3838
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I stayed at the Kaiserin Elisabeth for 5 nights last month as part of a vacation trip that also included Prague and Budapest.This hotel was a great choice -- perfect location in the center of town; lovely, comfortable rooms; friendly and helpful staff, very good breakfast. My single room was very spacious (it looked just like the photo on the hotel web site) and though the singles have twin beds -- not what I'm used to sleeping on -- I was very comfortable. At our request in advance, the concierge (Mr. Pour) arranged a day trip in the Wachau wine region which was a highlight of the vacation. We had an hour-long boat trip on the Danube, did tastings at 2 wineries, had lunch, visited the Abbey at Melk, and more. Our guide, Erich Kammerleithner, was superb -- lovely personality, highly knowledgeable about history/geography/art, and an excellent driver. Bravo to the hotel and to Erich!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Classicalfan500
Reviewed June 4, 2011

Super hotel, I really enjoyed staying here. One of those hotels that's a pleasure to be in. Location is fantastic, very close to the central Stephansplatz metro station, and to the iconic St Stephen's Cathedral. I had a lovely room, really big and spacious even though I was a solo traveller. Bathroom was well appointed with both shower and bath, nice toiletries provided, lots of fluffy towels.

Bed was super soft and comfortable, only problem was not wanting to get out of it! Big desk with writing paper, armchairs, lockable wardrobe. Whole room was very clean and nicely decorated with sunny yellow walls. I like the way the rooms combine a timeless elegance with modern convenience and comfort. I found it very quiet and peaceful and got a good night's sleep.

Staff at this hotel are fantastic, speak excellent English and are intuitive and helpful. They go the extra mile, for example seeing that I was due to check out the following day and offering to help organise transport to the airport - when I'd been planning to ask just that question!

The breakfast is good, with a range of mainly cold items including delicious Viennese pastries. I didn't use the room service but I noticed that the prices were very reasonable.

I was worried by some of the reviews here that mention cigarette smoke as being an issue, because I'm asthmatic and very sensitive to any trace of smoke. But I can't say I noticed it at all during my stay anywhere in the hotel, including the lobby, halls and stairs. So maybe some of the other reviewers here have just been unlucky. I would encourage other travellers not to be put off as this is really a very nice place to stay and good value for money given the location, rooms and excellent staff.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank FearfulFlyer
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I stayed at Kaiserin Elisabeth for four nights. I had a single room (no. 217). It was spacious, clean and nicely furnitured, the bathroom the same. The window opened toward the backyard and I had no problems with noise at any time. The hotel is amazingly located in the heart of Vienna, a 15 seconds walk from one of the main shopping steets, the Kärtner strasse. The breakfast (included in the fee) was all you could ask for; plenty of choices for an excellent meal, whether your preference is healthy or an unhealthy one.

The hosts were always polite and helpful, but seemed rather stressed upon my arrival. The desk clerk asked me to wait for 5 minutes while my room was being prepeared. When walking up to him, after waiting for 30 minutes, he apologized and told me that he had simply forgotten about me (!).

And in all a very satisfying stay at Kaiserin, I would have no hesitation to return.

Thank you to the staff for making my stay pleasant!

Room Tip: Ask for room 217. Flawless!