Hotel Papageno
$84
$78
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfree coffee and cakecity centrestate opera housepublic transitother hotelson footsingle roomkarlsplatzfurnituresubwaymuseum
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at the hotel 5 days around New Year's. The hotel was just walking distance (5-7 min) away from Karlsplatz and it was very convenient to reach different places of Vienna. The hotel looks a tiny bit old, but it doesn't bother at all - staff is friendly and everything is clean. Since our visit was at the time of New Years when the hotel was probably fully booked, the breakfast room was rather crowded, but it was compensated by nice choice of breakfast.
To sum it up - nice place to stay in Vienna.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marlis T
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The hotel location is very convenient, just a few minutes to the Inner city. Also, you can always take a tram which stops just outside the hotel. The hotel was warm and clean. Our room had a small terrace with a great view on Vienna’s rooftops. The buffet breakfast had an amazing selection. Free tea, coffee, punsch and cake were served in the afternoon. The staff are extremely caring and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank demimcgovern
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed in Papageno for 4 nights between Christmas and New Year's Eve. We selected a family package, which included B&B, Vienna 72-hour transportation cards for the family members, tickets for the Riesenrad Wheel in Prater, tickets for the zoo, as well as free snacks, coffee and non-alcoholic drinks for the kids. We were offered two inter-connected twin rooms, which were cleaned daily and heated well. Breakfast with numerous choices was above average. Also, our email requests for reserving a visit to Salzburg in advance as well as for reserving a table in a restaurant were satisfied on the spot. Internet access is provided on a daily basis by asking WiFi user credentials from the reception - not very convenient.

Better organization is needed in the reception with regards to what is included or not in the family package. The package is offered by the hotel and what is included was crystal clear in my correspondence with the hotel. The package details are also detailed in hotel web site. Although this was the case, whenever I asked for a non-alcoholic drink for the children (remember these were free) from the reception, I had to explain each time why I should not be charged. It happened 4 times with different people in the reception. The hotel should know who is offered what and not expect from the customers to remind and explain.

Now, there was a case which I have to describe as I never had a similar incident in any hotel so far, and I can say that I have traveled a lot around the world. The last night I asked from the reception guy - it was the first time I saw that guy in the hotel - a Pepsi and an apple juice - until then we had 3 drinks (!) in total (remember these should be offered for free). The receptionist asked for the room number to charge the drinks. I told him the number and explained again why the drinks should not be charged. Once he heard so and without absolutely ANY reason he started a talking regarding the number of the drinks that we can have, that they cannot be unlimited, that we were offered so much in the package already, describing the free tickets, etc (remember until then we only had 3 drinks). The guy made an issue out of the blue for a pepsi and an apple juice !!! He expressed himself in slight irony that I found totally unacceptable for a professional in Hotel service. I told him that I did not ask for a barrel of apple juice and that in this way the hotel makes customers feeling guilty for asking what they have paid for. The guy asked me how many children I had, I told him two, and then he brought me two small chocolates, two apple juices, instead of one and a Pepsi - for myself "not feeling guilty" as he said !!! To my understanding his point was that the Pepsi I asked was not intended for the children, so he brought two apple juices for the children !!! I took the drinks and left without saying anything more as I did not want to destroy further my vacations.

It is quite a pity as the city is magnificent and the hotel can be a good choice. In my personal opinion when you offer a service you should try to make your best to make the customer happy. The customer will recognize and not only will come back but also will tell to others to visit the hotel. In Papageno, people behavior - with one or two exceptions maybe - was quite formal, was not warm, was not characterized by a personal touch and we did not make us feel at home. The incident above was totally unacceptable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Klara W, Manager at Hotel Papageno, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your long comment and the good review of our Hotel Papageno.
We appreciate your good ratings on our rooms, breakfast and central location.

Regarding the organisation of the drinks (included in the family package), we apologize for all the inconvenience this was causing you and will definitely work on this matter. We would like to point out though that during your stay we had a high turnover of staff in the reception due to vacation days. That was the main reason why the receptionist on duty always asked you for your room number as we had also other families in the hotel (without the family package). One member of the staff who asked you for example was the vice-director who usually works in the back office, and therefore was not familiar with your booking. However we apologize for any inconvenience and misunderstanding this situation was creating you.

Concerning your critique on one of our receptionists we deeply regret the situation. You are completely right that this kind of behavior is not professional and absolutely unacceptable. We take your feedback very seriously and we already forwarded it to the mentioned receptionist.

We thank you again for your feedback and we will continue our efforts to offer an excellent service.

Looking forward to welcoming you any other time at the Papageno!

Best regards,
Klara Weiss

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Its been 7 years since our last visit to this great hotel and we were not disappointed on our return. Its in such a good location, a short stroll to Stephansplatz and all the main sites. Easy links to the airport, tram and underground if you need it. We stayed for 6 nights in a lovely large upper room with roof top views. Very comfortable beds. Fabulous bathroom. Cosy and welcoming hotel. Fabulous buffet breakfast with extensive range of goodies. The staff is great and incredibly helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and will definitely return in the future. Vienna in December is heavenly.

Room Tip: The rooms are triple gazed so imagine all are quiet considering proximity to road.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hist0ryFiend
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Good location, excellent room and bed, WIFI, flat TV, good breakfast.
Close to main attractions, tram stop very close to hotel, (less than 2 minutes walking) subway is close (less than 10 minutes walking) subway has airport connection to airport, there are 2 types of trains to aiport: express which cost about 11 euros or regular which cost 2 euros ( I took the regular ones and it takes less than 25 minutes.
Buy the 4 days vienna pass or ticket (at the subway information center) to use no limit tram, buses and subway for the 4 days

Room Tip: Excellent location
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple