“A highlight of my Vienna Trip”

The Third Man Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Third Man Museum Admission Ticket
Ranked #10 of 717 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: OPEN EVERY SATURDAY 2 - 6 pm! For more opening hours check our webpage ! The THIRD MAN MUSEUM is THE place to go but ONLY for film fans and all those interested in the post-war history of Vienna. Private museum without sponsors and without subsidies, but a 100% passion! The Third Man Museum contains much heart and soul. And you can feel it! EXCLUSIVE guided tours on any day of the week by request!
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I was fortunate to be in Vienna on the one day per week this wonderfully quirky little museum is regularly scheduled to be open (however, it's my understanding that with a bit of prior notice, private tours can be arranged). It's a mom-and-pop affair which rambles throughout four different suites within one apartment building -- each suite or "gallery" being accessed by a separate entrance, to which you are led, one by one, in order, by a museum employee once you finish perusing the previous gallery (if this sounds confusing, don't worry -- it makes sense once you get there).

When I say "mom-and-pop," I mean that as a compliment -- because this is a homemade museum built with a great deal of expertise and ingenuity, and even more heart. Gerhard and his wife, who operate this labor of love, are warm and friendly and quick to share their knowledge. I felt bad keeping them past closing time, just the three of us, as we discussed the film. But they didn't seem to mind. And their English is excellent, thank goodness... because my German sucks.

Of course, if you visit, it obviously helps to be a big, big fan of the film "The Third Man." And since that's one of my all-time favorites, I'm inclined to be biased toward this place. But as at least one other reviewer has mentioned, there is also much to be learned here about pre- and post-war Vienna. That information is concentrated within gallery three, as I recall. It's a really fascinating history, most of which I was woefully unaware of. Plus, Gerhard has personally interviewed many aging survivors of that era, who tell their often-tragic stories on little video screens. Gerhard told me he felt driven to archive these histories, as a lot of these folks won't be around much longer. Like I say, a labor of love.

Anyway... great place. Five stars.

All reviews
"subject matter"
"unique experience"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I'm a The Third Man fan, but this museum goes so far above and beyond the movie that you have to experience it to appreciate Vienna in the aftermath of World War II. The private tour is €100 and was given by Gerhard, the owner, who is infectiously enthusiastic, scrupulously historically accurate and an excellent teacher. We were a group of 4 and had all seen the movie at least once, which I would highly recommend before going if you want to get the most out of the experience, but it's not mandatory. The movie memorabilia is an outstanding collection that is an up close and personal encounter with a classic film noir, and the post-war Vienna portion of the museum is extraordinary in its ability to convey the mood and challenges of the people during this period. All the displays are presented in an organized manner that begins with a short orientation to the museum which consists of 5-6 rooms. The movie related portion includes history of the film, original props like Anton Karas' zither, extensive photos, scripts, posters, marketing materials, plane tickets, costume pieces, film camera and more. The post-war Vienna portion of the museum includes flags, military uniforms, personal histories and photos of Jewish survivors and Allied soldiers, maps, newspapers, CARE package materials for the Viennese, etc. that the owner has meticulously researched and catalogued but doesn't feel too dense or overwhelming when he explains it. Our tour was 2 hours long, but that may vary with the level of interest.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My boyfriend took me to this museum by surprise because I probably wouldn't have agreed to go. It turned out to be most enjoyable and educational. The museum centers around the old film called "The Third Man" with Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles. The tour was given by the founder of the museum who shares his passion for the film and has amassed an amazing collection related to the film. It is also linked to history as much of the film takes place in old Vienna. The museum is housed in several different rooms in different nearby buildings and it was fun to be brought from place to place for various parts of the exhibition. The tour-guide was very intelligent and personable and shared his knowledge and that made the tour very valuable. I only saw the film many many years ago but it was still interesting and made me want to see it again. Overall, it was a quirky, off the beaten path, fun thing to do if you are interested in film or history.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Despite it being one of my favourite films, I was really impressed with this museum as it also provided an excellent historical perspective on Austria before, during and after the war. The memorabilia (both for the film and Vienna generally) was outstanding. The staff were friendly and multilingual. Highlights were a screening of a section of the original film, and there was something surreal about flicking through over 400 cover versions of the Harry Lime theme! Highly recommend this museum, but be aware that it is only open Saturdays 2-6, unless you arrange a private tour.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 21, 2013

If you love history and you love a good story; I highly recommend that you book yourself a private, one hour tour of the Third Man Museum.
We saw the Tripadvisor reviews & decided to splurge and spend 100Euro to have a private tour of this museum. (You can visit the museum during limited Saturday afternoon hours for much less money.)
Our guide, the museum curator Karin, gave us a brilliant tour. This is a unique museum with a special story to tell and Karin does a excellent job of relating all of the important details into a fascinating presentation. The tale she weaves is brilliantly entertaining.
I suppose the ideal scenario is to visit this museum and then go see the movie. (or vice versa) You can see the movie in Vienna (a couple times a week) at the Burg Kino movie theater (on the Ringstrasse.)
If you haven't seen the movie and if you don't like "movie spoilers" perhaps you should see the movie before you go to this museum-as the museum might give away some of the surprise scenes shown in the movie. (However, I think seeing the movie after visiting the museum makes the movie more interesting. (Let's face it: the film is an odd, artsy movie that improves with repeated viewings.)
If you've never seen the movie, perhaps you don't understand what all of the fuss is about; however, a good story is a good story (the museum story and the movie story) so I wouldn't let that stop me: go to this museum and someday see the movie.
There are other sites in Vienna that are super important to enjoy but a private tour of this museum is really unique and memorable. We LOVED it.