“Beethoven revamped!”

Ranked #16 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Israel
“Beethoven revamped!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Last week I had the pleasure of returning to my favorite Viennese hotel after over a year. To my surprise the Beethoven had been revamped ! I found a redecorated charming lobby and an entire new exquisitely rebuilt 6th floor with 4 additional boutique rooms. I also discovered the Sunday evening free classical concerts for the hotel guests !

My daughter and I stayed in a lovely and brand new room on the 6th floor named the Red Baroness as the decor is mostly in red! We had a very large bathroom, a separate toilet and very comfortable beds. We felt truly pampered. The staff was very attentive and we loved our stay. The central location to the opera, the museum quarter and the local colorful market and trendy restaurants is also very convenient.

We hope to return fairly soon again and look forward to the opening of a small bistro just beside the lobby...... I wonder what they will think of next !!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank raf36
barbarella240464, Inhaber at Hotel Beethoven Wien, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
It was a pleasure to host you and your daughter! Hope to see you soon and thank you very much for your good review, Kind regards from Vienna

Hotel Beethoven Wien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

The room was tiny but very enough and good decorated and painted. So it was really sweat.
Location is a few steps close to Naschmarkt and to Karlsplatz Underground/metro station.

An interesting point is that the bed was really comfortable and got fatigue of me.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 6th floor are sweat decorated even with corridors between the rooms. Double bed was re...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Erciini
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially that you had a good nights sleep!
Thank you very much for your nice review and hope to see you again,

Moscow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

The hotel can boast its: -location (10 min to State Opera and shopping street). At the Opera entrance there is a hop on hop off bus stop (we can buy tickets at the hotel's reception).
-mostly friendly staff
- interior
the breakfasts were good and sufficient with good selection. Rooms have a kettle and free tea and coffee refundable every day.

soundproofing is bad despite this is an old building. i think that the walls beteewn the rooms are thin as they are modern- you can here what people are talking about behind the wall. first we were accomodated on the 4th floor, and when asked about rooms on the upper floor, the receptionist who worked that day, said there were only offices upstairs. Meanwhile, the next day we wanted to move because of poor soundproofing, and the other lady at the reception said we could have a look at the rooms on the upper 6th floor. We took the one. That one was brand new with roof windows, and very quiet. Thanks to that lady (unfortunately, I do not remember her name).

the rooms on the lower floors are dated with dirty carpet.

Room Tip: take corners rooms as they are much bigger or new designer rooms on the upper floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mirabel78
barbarella240464, Inhaber at Hotel Beethoven Wien, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
I am very sorry that you did not feel comfortable in our 4thfloor room which were renovated in 2007. The building is very old and has thick walls and we do have double doors and usually our guests are telling us that it is very quiet.

I am sorry that you did not feel that way and apologize in case one or my receptionists gave you a wrong Information about the sixth floor. We just finished 4 new rooms there and of course we would be pleased in case you happen to come to Vienna again to reserve one of our rooms there.

Nevertheless I hope you had a nice stay in Vienna.
All the best and Kind regards,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

We recently stayed three very comfortable nights at the Hotel Beethoven named after the composer who stayed in the theatre opposite for several months whilst writing his opera Fidelio. The check in was very friendly and the room was a good size although the soft furnishing were a bit dated. The bathroom was well equipped and had great pump soap in the shower and sink so no need to fiddle around with silly little bottles or packets of soap. The double room we ordered consisted of two single beds joined together (perfect - tons of space) and two separate doonas. The room really had everything we needed. The breakfast which was included was amazing and even after three mornings, we never tired of it as there was so much variety. Delicious muesli, bread, meats, cheeses, pastries' scrambled eggs ... good espresso coffee too. The location of the hotel is excellent. Just up the road from a major subway station (Karlsplatz) and within very easy walking distance to most of the main attractions. The walk to the Vienna State Opera is less then 10 mins. Staff were particularly friendly and helpful. We would stay again and recommend the hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steven B
I am very sorry that you did not feel comfortable in our first floor rooms which were renovated in 2007. The building is very old and has thick walls and we do have double doors in 4 floors and usually our guests are telling us that it is very quiet.

Nevertheless I hope you had a nice stay in Vienna.
All the best and Kind regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Have to say the most memorable part of our stay was the late night cap at the lobby bar, where the receptionist talked to us for over 20 minutes. She told us what to see and where to go. The staff were all helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good, great coffee. Quiet location just off the food market. Will definitely stay here again if we get back some day.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your nice words! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us!
Hope to see you again,
all the best,

Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Now I know why Mozart desperately wanted out of Salzburg! Wien and Hotel Beethoven boast a higher quality of vacation life than the baroque jewel of Salzburg and Hotel Wolf-Dietrich. My room was definitely an upgrade over the single room on a diet in Salzburg. I was alone and it was at a substantial savings over other rooms and thus I was content to suffer. It is no exaggeration to state one almost had more space in a phone booth than my Salzburg bathroom. Indeed, my bathroom at Hotel Beethoven was almost the size of my entire living space in Salzburg. I stayed at the Hotel Wolf-Dietrich before with my father in a double room, which was fine returning for the location, friendly staff, scrumptious breakfast, along with Kaffee und Kuchen in the afternoon.

Onto Vienna and the Eroica Hotel Beethoven best served with a hot chocolate covered in a bed of Schlagsahne (whipping cream)! I slept better at the Hotel Beethoven than in my own bed pillows fluffed to Eroica perfection, evoking memories from the peaks of a Salzburger Nockerl. It may have had something to do with the 1st class ballet (Midsummer Night's Dream) and musical 'My Fair Lady' or perhaps it was the lovely Pan Am chorus girls from 'Catch Me If You Can' that drifted me off to dreamland seconds after my head hit the heavenly pillows at Hotel Beethoven?

Whatever the inspiration, I recovered all the REM sleep lost on my Lufthansa flight and in Canada. Not all my dreams were of Pan Am chorus girls, I also dreamt Ludwig van Beethoven had returned to Earth to serve a 390 year sentence overseeing the operations of the hotel that bears his name. Naturally, he was furious when I discovered his whereabouts in a secret room on the top floor. After much probing, I finally broke him down to admit he had to serve 10 years for every apartment he lived in and messed up in Wien (39)! You cannot escape LVB, as his image is everywhere looking very disgruntled; even though, I myself could not find a single fault with his hotel.

The one issue I have, now that I am home, are serious withdrawal symptoms from Wien along with Hotel Beethoven! I will miss the irresistible aroma of bio sausages and bacon luring me into the Frühstück (Breakfast) room. I will miss the ever so cute Frühstück waitresses, who always ensured the Muesli, fresh fruit, bread, buns, scrambled eggs, pastries and Gugelhupf were replenished to satisfy my insatiable appetite for Austrian cuisine-Especially the dreamy blonde multilingual Weinachtsengel (Christmas Angel) who could speak Czech, German, English...and Angel. I wanted to tell her how delicious her Gugelhupf was (Ihr Gugelhupf schmeckt sehr gut) but thought better having made the mistake of saying that to a beautiful waitress in Salzburg, which resulted in her blushing, giggling and then scampering away. Perhaps Gugelhupf has a double Victoria's Secret meaning in Austria?

I will also miss the Sunday evening classical music concerts at no extra cost-As well as my room made up every day without fail looking like the 1st day I was welcomed into Hotel Beethoven, as if it was personally inspected by Ludwig van Beethoven himself. I will especially miss the most efficient staff. I pulled a calf muscle on route to the Volksoper to see My Fair Lady...for a 2nd showing and upon my return asked for an ice pack from reception. I envisioned a bag of ice but the gentleman returned with 2 professional ice packs-Straight from the freezer! The next day I asked for the closest Apotheke (drugstore) and was informed there was one down the street (5 minute walk) and that the pharmacist would likely recommend a Sport Gel (Dolobene)-Bang on! After a day of recuperation in my super sauber (clean) spacious room super (schnell) fast internet no extra charge, I was well enough to hobble around 2 museums the next day.

Every detail no matter how small is taken care of. For example: There is a sign posted to the glass door of the breakfast room when it is closed for the day. This was not the case for an exhibit at the Lower Belvedere Art Gallery where I had to walk outside in the cold, fogging up my glasses, and then bumped into the glass door (uninjured). The poor lighting did not help.

For the bubbly refreshments after the classical music intermission, the hostess emerged from the kitchen with a champagne flute for each guest empting her tray. Albeit, some of these things are just small details, the sum added up to a wonderful stress free stay. All the staff are very eager to help and also appear to actually enjoy their work, which is not always the case at hotels. The bubbly, ebullient blonde at reception is always smiling and even giggled at my cornball humor. I asked her to inform Sissi I was off on a date with Eliza Doolittle to see My Fair Lady and that she did not have to wait up for me if she required her beauty sleep.

I am whipping up prose this Sunday morning having to make my own latté without the benefit of the fantastisch (fantastic) LVB coffee machine, which can whip up a veritable plethora of delicious coffee concoctions in 30 seconds or less. Yes, I am suffering back in Canada. I loved walking through history waltzing back in time and would dearly love to live forever surrounded by Baroque architecture, Gustav Klimt's sultry sirens, and the beauty of Wien. Everything in Wien is better (especially public transit...and yes the women are much more schön (beautiful), and, as an added unexpected bonus, the ballet and theatre is a Boxing Day special compared to Canada. You have no idea how much I am suffering-You can't even get Linzertorte in Canada! To top it all off, despite eating very, very well....I ended up losing 2 pounds (148)! How did that happen?

You will find more luxurious hotels in Wien (Sacher and Imperial) come to mind; however, they are way too overpriced and way too touristy for me-Especially the Hotel Sacher with that cheesy cardboard cut out bellhop. I liked being tucked away along a secluded street away from the hordes of tourists and those Mozart Bellhops begging me to buy their concert tickets. Hotel Beethoven was far enough away from the tourists without being too far away to walk to main attractions like the St. Stephan's Cathedral, Leopold Museum, and the dazzling shops on Kärtner Strasse. It was also perfect for me to grab a schnitzel to go at the Naschmarkt just across the street to enjoy in my hotel room.

I loved Vienna so much; I may never return to the classy down to earth Hotel Beethoven-Instead purchase a home and retire in Wien. In the meantime, I am brushing up on my German, which I was last fluent in when I was 5. Kudos galore to Hotel Beethoven for an Ode to Joy 11-day stay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank thewizardofwords
barbarella240464, Inhaber at Hotel Beethoven Wien, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Unfortunately I am not a great grand daughter of Ludwig van although my Name is Ludwig ;) . What I do share with him is my love for music. Obviously you do, too! I am so glad that you could feel our wish to make you feel at home. Thank you very much for your nice review, it was a pleasure reading it.....
Hope your leg is better and hope to see you again,

all the best from Vienna
Barbara alias Ludwig "of" Beethoven
Kyiv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Beethoven Hotel Wien is a nice and cozy place to stay in. It’s just a five minute walk to the Wien Opera House and ten-fifteen minutes (literally) to St. Stephen’s Cathedral. At the same time, the location is very calm, without any noise and close to lots of cafes/restaurants and a market place with fruit/vegetables/fish, etc.
We booked the so-called “salon” room which appeared to be quite a large (appr. 30 sq.m.) premise with big windows and all the needed facilities available. Really, everything needed (starting from a Nesresso machine and finishing with the cleanest bathrobes and the most comfortable linen) was really there, occupying exactly the places where it should be. Zoning of this room is well organized, with a sofa and a tea table for rest, a desk for work in a separate area, a big bed for sleep, etc. Generally speaking, the room is very well “thought-ahead”.
Breakfast has a great variety, inclusive of sausages, salmon, vegetables, lots of breads and cookies, juices, exquisite cheeses, etc., etc. It is served in the buffet style and, importantly, everything is constantly and timely replenished, so you don’t have to face empty plates waiting for somebody to bring foodstuffs from the kitchen or something like this. The only minor thing is that vegetables like sweet pepper and cucumbers should be fresher.
The service is very good, and exactly up to the European standard of four stars. The whole hotel is clean, our room was made up daily, and all towels were changed every day. All the hotel staff members, including the reception ladies, house-keepers, etc., were always very pleasant, smiling and helpful. Finally, there is a great mezzanine area with large floor-to-ceiling windows, where one can enjoy the view of marvelous 19th century buildings with a cup of tea from samovar or some coffee at any time during the day.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dmytro Y
barbarella240464, Inhaber at Hotel Beethoven Wien, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
It makes me proud to read your good review and I really thank you very much! I would be a pleasure to see you again,

Kind regards from Vienna,