“A 3 night stay in Vienna”

Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront
Ranked #59 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“A 3 night stay in Vienna”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My wife & I spent 3 nights here on our 25th wedding anniversary trip around Europe. Immediately upon arriving at the hotel my wife had misgivings, it did not look very promising as we drove into the parking area. However, it was much better once inside.

Our room was an upgrade and enormous and had complimentary drinks and fruit. Vienna was so very hot and we asked for a fan to supplement the barely adequate ac in the room. A tower fan was delivered within 5 minutes as my asking.

The hotel is some way out of the heart of Vienna. We used the train to get in/out of the city, and the station is just a 5 minute walk away. A railway runs past the non-river side of the hotel with goods trains running frequently. In our room, on the river side of the hotel, 6th floor, we heard nothing from the trains. The car parking is free at this location.

The staffing levels in the exec lounge are minimal compared to other Hiltons and we frequently were left looking for glasses or tableware. Rather than eat in the exec lounge we went down to the main restaurant for breakfast - upon entering the restaurant we were told that we could not eat there and were only to eat in the lounge! This is a first, as it's been an option in every Hilton with an exec lounge I've stayed in prior to this.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kidderminsterkid
sreiter, Manager at Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear “Kidderminsterkid”
thank you very much for your time invested to assess our hotel.
I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay in our recently renovated hotel.
Thank you for your comment regarding our Executive Lounge. Please rest assured that we will review processes to avoid such inconveniences in future.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you soon again.

Stephan Reiter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Beleive me when I say the rooms are HUGE and superbly appointed, plus a LARGE bathroom also very well appointed. Location is out of the centre of town but being positioned along the Danube makes up for that. One of the best locations in Europe to have breakfast sitting out on the deck alongside the Danube and the breakfasts were also just as impressive with a wide choice of foods. Unfortunately there was no free wifi, which I think is a must nowadays, so that was the only let down. I thoroughly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank coops52
Dear "coops52”,

thank you for your feedback, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast on our terrace and we could fulfil your expectations. I have noted your comment regarding the Internet; I'm trying to lead an improvement in the way.

Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hotel offers classic Hilton experience with one plus side - hotel parking is free. Riverside rooms has great view to Danube river. I stay on the first flor and rooms has large windows which can be opened. This was my second visit to this venue and every time when this hotel has promotion I gladly stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Relja_J
sreiter, Manager at Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear “Relja_J”
thank you very much for having taken the time to write a few sentences about your impressions.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the new renovated Hilton Vienna Danube.

Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Firstly let me say I try to keep my reviews balanced - but this flew oit the window here. Shame Hilton, shame.

After calling the hotel to book and being told there were no available rooms, we booked through a booking site. Price was good, but no room choice. We wanted to stay close by for a concert. We nirmally stay at Flemmings, but decided that we couldn'tgo to wrong with a Hilton hotel. Wrong!

I called the hotel to confirm room with king bed and was assured this was booked. When we arrived, staff were clearly frazzled at the wuick influx of concert goers checking in. Our room - 2 beds. So much for calling ahead to ensure a king bed.

After the concert we were looking forward to a bite to eat and a drink at the bar. How wrong we were!
The bar was full after the concert and the minimal staff could hardly cope. After waiting for sometime without setvice, we opted to drink something in our room... Wrong again!!

After 11pm they only offer 3 items on the room service menu. Starving hungry we opted for cesar salad and chili con carne. Wrong again!
Cesar salad was warm, limp and despite requesting NO anchovies, it was covered in them. It was the worst cesar salad ever.
Chili con Carne - there are no words for this.... Firstly it was cold, corn chips missing and well lets just say 4 small spoons and you were finished. I am not kidding, this was the smallest (not even the size of chili you order as a side dish) most embarassing 'snack' I have seen at a hotel and priced at €13.50 what a joke.
Oh. Did I mention the beer was warm? We called, waited another 20minutes, nothing was fixed and we were only given empty excuses and a 'we are very busy' - really... did the Hilton Management at this hotel fall and hit their head?
I can think of no other reason for such a disgraceful, disorganized hotel other than management has clearly been sleeping on the job.

Will we be back? No, never. I don't care how close it is for concerts and exhibitions. Better to take the UBahn and stay at the wonderful Flemmings Deluxe - perhaps Hilton should send their managers over there for a lesson? They clearly need one. F&B manager you should hang your head in shame.

Our only saving grace was we got a reasonable deal through the booking site for our room. Others we met, who had the same experience as us, paid double what we had.

Its a shame, with better management it could be a nice hotel. If there is even the slightest chance you may meed to eat or drink here - book elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank Sherie1408
Dear “Sherie 1408”

thank you for having taken the time to write about your impressions. I am very sorry to read that our bar was busy after a concert and we could not fulfil your expectations. During the night we offer a reduced food supply, which also includes some hot meals.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback. It is always our aim and ambition to provide our guests with the highest standard in quality and service.

Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Cant fault the hotel..great staff, clean and very comfortable. Breakfast very good selection. However...what lets the hotel down is Internet access. They subcontract the service out to Swisscom. For 24 hours cost €9 Two IPads means €18... Not per room as you would expect. Nonetheless...we accepted the costs only to find that two devices will not work at the same time. Switch one IPad off the other functions. Argh in this modern day age and at a Hilton you expect better service than this. I did complain at the front desk and the staff were very helpful indeed...with the complaint passed on to Swisscom who blamed our IPads.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William m
Dear "Sidecarwilly”,

thank you for your feedback, and the praise and satisfaction with our staff and our breakfast. I have noted your comment regarding the Internet; I'm trying to lead an improvement in the way.

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel would need some update but it is stil a great hotel with a great view and located in a great area

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank maurizi01957
Dear „maurizi01957“,

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We had an exceptional stay at Hilton Vienna Danube. Breakfast buffet was outstanding. Hotel staff were friendly and very helpful. The rooms are modern and spacious.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SallyC1979
Dear "SallyC1979",
thank you very much for the praise regarding our staff. Specifically I am pleased that my team has given you the service you have expected. It would be a pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel.