Vienna is an expensive city. When I was choosing a hotel close to city center, most were either expensive, or had bad reviews. Since I was booking late, I didn't have much to choose from. And suddenly I came across Meininger Sissi that had both price and reviews that looked satisfying to me! And the stay in this hotel didn't disappoint me. For the price I paid, I think I got good value.
It's located in a quiet area which is close to Schwedenplatz - the spot where airport buses arrive. Around 10 minutes of walking. That's handy when you have a huge bag with you! If you're coming from another part of the city, it's also convenient: Schottenring metro station is just 5 minutes away. If you're not lazy, you can reach Stepahnsdom by foot in about 20-25 minutes.
We stayed in a double room on the 5th (last) floor with "attic" windows. I think it was renovated very recently. I liked that it had some space next to the door. In some hotels, you stumble right upon the bed as you enter... But here, there was no such problem. The room was clean (daily room service). The bathroom was spacious enough.
The beds weren't big, but they were comfortable. Overall, the room is rational, but very minimalistic: beds, bedside tables, flat screen TV, a desk, a chair, a small closet, coat hangers near the door. I didn't expect much for that budget, but probably they could add some accessories that would make it a tiny bit cozier... Say, a floor lamp or some simple wall decoration.
There was free wifi in the room, and the signal was good.
Probably, it wasn't the "hot season" when I stayed, but I never saw the crowds of young backpackers some of the reviewers described. Most of the visitors I saw were 40+.
Never tried the hotel breakfast, so can't rate it. However, I'd like to point out that beverages and snacks are available to by in the lobby. Btw, the staff was always friendly.
- the one thing that bugged me is that the light in the room was very dim! The room had dark grey walls, which emphasized the weak light. The room would benefit from stronger lamps!
- noisy construction works in the neighbor buildings... But that's definitely not the hotels fault!
Summary: I'd recommend Meininger Sissi to those who don't expect luxury in a budget hotel :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The MEININGER Hotel Wien Downtown Sissi has its own unique allure and is a must for all Empress Sissi fans. Amusing little details radiate contemporary Viennese charm. The hotel is situated in the second district, and the city centre is within walking distance. The colourful Karmeliter market with cafes and restaurants is just around the corner. With its guest kitchen, lounge, bar, gaming area and free WiFi, our Sissi hotel offers much more than just low-cost accommodation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, HostelWorld, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Hotel.de so you can book your MEININGER Hotel Wien Downtown Sissi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.