“Great Tour, Not Just for Tourists”
Review of Viennatour

and up
Vienna Secrets a 2hours Walking Tour to Backyards and Mysterious Locations
Ranked #19 of 132 Tours in Vienna
More attraction details
Owner description: Certified tourist guide, professionally guided sightseeing tours - Vienna & Austria! “Introducing Vienna – The Capital of the Habsburgs” – no pre booking needed! Our favorite 2 hours outdoor walking tour from St. Michael’s square to St. Stephens’s square, including Imperial palace, Heroes square” Josef square, Albertina square, etc. English scheduled tours each – Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday at 12 PM. Meeting point: On Michaelerplatz # 3, in front of the Bank - Raiffeisen Only 3 min. from the U3 underground station “Herrengasse” Coordinates 48°12'29.86"N, 16°22'0.19"E
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Although I've been living in Vienna for a few years now, I had no idea how little I knew about the history and architecture of Vienna before I took this tour! I walked away with a much more enlightened perspective on the city that I call home.

Herbert Stojaspal was very informed about the "secrets" that Vienna has to offer, and also a very thoughtful guide. We were a large group and the weather was a bit cold, but we had many opportunities to ask individual questions and we were also given opportunities to get indoors and warm up a bit.

Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I was lucky to have a private tour on a cold Tuesday afternoon of October. The guide was very friendly, knowledgeable. The tour was interesting and informative. Great tour!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We took a five hour tour with Herbert Stojaspal while we were in Vienna. Even though we extensively researched Vienna and its sites before our trip - it was well worth having Herbert guide us through his city and point out sites and the history attached to those sites. There were many sites that we would have missed if not for this tour. He was an excellent guide and very well versed in the culture, events, and history of this city. We provided input on what we wanted to see and used our research and the information on his website to help with the design. He designed a tour that met all our requests. There were 3 other people on the tour with us making for a nice size group. One person signed up for two hours and the other two had booked for three hours leaving us with a private tour for the last 2 hours. The tour was very well put together to meet each of our requests.

He is fluent in English (he working in international business for years before he started this business) and very friendly.

The tour moved at a good pace with enough time for photos but yet fast enough that we were able to pack in many sites in the time that we had available.

We would highly recommend Herbert.

1  Thank WiMadcitytraveler
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was only in Vienna for a weekend, so this was a good tour to take. I felt like I learned a lot about the city and was able to see many of the main monuments. Herbert was nice and very knowledgeable. However, we did not go into many places which for me is a missed opportunity. I would pay a bit extra if it meant actually going into one or two more churches, or museums.

1  Thank Maria C
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was really, really looking forward to this tour, especially based on the glowing reviews here. But Herbert didn't show up. I waited for 40 minutes. Since I don't have a phone when I travel, I asked a stranger to call the number Herbert provided. The lovely woman called about 4 times and nobody picked up the phone (I think the line was busy once). I went back to the hotel and the woman at the reception called a few more times - 6 calls in total. On the last call, he finally picked up and had no knowledge of the tour booking. I had the printout of the entire communication chain (I like to be as prepared as I can be) and showed it to her, with the subject line being "Tour Confirmation". She read that info to him and he pretty much said that he's too busy today, something else came up. He didn't even believe that he had a tour booked for this day.
Oh really?! Too busy??
I had a booking and he completely ignored it. Wasted my precious sight-seeing time. Good thing I didn't pay in advance.
Looks like it's not "once in a career" that he doesn't show up for a tour, as he missed another booking (as per an earlier review).
Bottom line: Risky to book with him as he might not show up.

4  Thank ALY2011WI
Herbyvie, Inhaber at Viennatour, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

In defence of Ms. Anna's review, I would like to clarify a few points
that perhaps, through cultural and language differences may have gotten
"lost in translation".
As Anna wrote, I did not show up for the scheduled tour. This was due to the fact that
I had mistakenly entered it into my diary for the 28th of November, not October.
Again, I accept full responsibility for this embarrassingly unprofessional error.

I did not answer my phone due to the fact that I had on-going scheduled tours
underground (3rd Man) and no reception. When I "surfaced", I took the call and
admittedly probably sounded confused or uncaring due to the fact that I had
Anna's tour scheduled, in my records, for one month later. As a self-employed
tour guide, the remainder of my day was filled with other obligations and upon hearing
from Ms. Anna that she had time the next day until 1 pm for alternatives, I offered
her two possibilities in order to compensate for my mistake. Naturally, these were not the customised
tours that both Anna and I had carefully puzzled together in our email correspondence.
I assume, understandably so, that she was fed up with the entire situation and chose
not to take me up on my attempts at rectifying this unfortunate turn of events.

I too had to write off the entire investment of my time in setting up her challenging
customised tour and am unhappy with myself at the loss of business and the damage to
my reputation. A very unfortunate situation (and the 2nd to happen in a long and successful
career as a Vienna tour guide). Please read the countless reviews in which I was appreciated
for my efforts in which I have always gone "above and beyond". In the words of
English poet Alexander Pope (1688-1744), "To err is human; to forgive, divine.".