“Fantastic”

Ranked #22 of 608 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Leopold Museum is a unique treasure-house of Viennese Jugendstil, the Wiener Werkstätte and Expressionism. It is the most-visited museum of the city's hottest cultural site, the MuseumsQuartier, and it houses the most significant and largest Egon Schiele collection in the world, as well as masterworks by Secession founder Gustav Klimt. Tip: The museum's panorama windows offer a wonderful view of central Vienna with Maria Theresa Square and the Hofburg Palace.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Great museum, located in the museum quarter, great place were you can go just chill, the collection of Schiele and Klimt is awesome, museum is easy to navigate, it has a nice store downstairs and access to a great little restaurant were the non smoking section is minimal but food was good.
A must when visiting Vienna.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,956)

Reviewed May 26, 2014

We have been to VIenna many times before but for some reason we were always drawn by the Belvedere, the Albertina or the History of Art museum. Situated in the middle of the museum quartier, the Leopold is remarkable. Built to house the collection of a single collector, it lays claim to the largest Egon Schiller collection in the world. We were really bowled over by the number of his works we had never seen which are displayed here (in addition to the famous ones). It also gives you a chance to see Klimt's wonderful Life and Death and to discover many other Viennese artists that you don't normally hear about. We came thinking that we would spend 1 to 2 hours here and we took four. The current temporary exhibition about art during world war I is quite spectacular. An absolute must

1  Thank guitarman666
Reviewed May 26, 2014

A visit to this small modern Leopold Museum in the museum district was the highlight of our short stay in Vienna. Less crowded than the other museums in the area, we were able to take our time viewing all the pictures without being distracted by the usual crowds that you experience in so many galleries. Our only disappointment was that a large part of the gallery was being used for an exhibition of World War 1 art and we assume that there were fewer paintings by Klimt and Schiele on display than normal

Reviewed May 21, 2014

For a smaller museum with a period specialty, Leopold has a sumptuous collection of Art Nouveau artists and craftsmen work. The architecture is very modern, sleek, and views of Vienna from the upstairs windows is spectacular, unlike the decorative, slightly expressionist art from a century prior. As a lover of Schiele, Klimpt and the epoch, my visit to Vienna was predicated on a desire to drink in the Secessionists period, and the museum carried me back as I'd so wanted. The layout is easy to navigate, and on the particular day I visited, rain kept the crowds to a minimum. Photographs were not discouraged, so I shot various pieces of furniture and silver, a painting or two, and when my visit was done, I went to the museum store.

The museum store is a treasure of catalogs from previous and current exhibits, gift items with images from the collection, calendars, and clothing. Many books were available there in various languages from French, German, Italian, Spanish, English and more. I accumulated so many books that I knew I would incur high luggage costs as I continued to travel, so I requested the books be sent to me. This was a request I've made at The Louvre, The Prado and other museums all over the world, and have always been delighted by the fast, safe shipping to my home in California, but this was not an option here. Staff was very warm and helpful, instead giving me website addresses that might allow me to get the books. Instead, I shot images of the books in an essential iPhone app called Snap Tell (it finds the best deals on books going by its cover--though when it can't find a book, it still holds the image clearly so you can hunt for it online later). Upon my return home, I went online using the information from Snap Tell and found every book, often at much lower prices, through Amazon.de!!!

The bathroom required a coin purchased at the front desk, but a more immaculate bathroom would be hard to find. Staff was officious but not harsh. The cafe was too crowded by the time I got hungry, but the small area looked inviting and food/snacks delicious.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

To experience what art movement put Vienna on the map, this museum is the best. The collection is filled with Klimt, Schiele, Moser, graphics, glass, design and furniture. While not a large museum, there are just the right amount of samples to learn about 1900 Vienna Secession. Very enjoyable.

It is located within the Museums Quarter, where there are 10 other museums to visit (contemporary MUMOK, architecture, design, theatre) and plenty to eat and drink.